Thicknesser problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickm

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hit a minor problem this afternoon that I've not seen mentioned before, while thicknessing lots of shortish pieces of oak. The chip extraction is far from perfect, and on some later pieces, I managed to "snowplough" some chips under the front edge of the wood as I fed them in. This effectively raised the front of the timber, so it got thinned too much over the first several inches. Would not matter so much on longer lengths, but it's worth watching out that you are feeding the timber in precisely along the line of the thicknesser table so you sweep the chips out of the way.
Live and learn.

This is another reason to have compressed air in the shop. It really helps when thicknessing to use a quick blast to blow stuff off the table.

dickm":y49p6tyw said:
Hit a minor problem this afternoon that I've not seen mentioned before, while thicknessing lots of shortish pieces of oak. The chip extraction is far from perfect, and on some later pieces, I managed to "snowplough" some chips under the front edge of the wood as I fed them in. This effectively raised the front of the timber, so it got thinned too much over the first several inches. Would not matter so much on longer lengths, but it's worth watching out that you are feeding the timber in precisely along the line of the thicknesser table so you sweep the chips out of the way.
Live and learn.
I too had this problem and always made sure I gave the table a good couple of lungs full before sending the next piece through. However I then purchased an"Electric Hat" as my grandson calls it and because it has a full face mask, two good lungs full returns now from whence it came. So having read Waterhead37 reply, guess where my air hose will be hanging from now on. Cheers gwaithcoed

Latest posts

Back