Thicknesser or Planer - Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petej42

Reaction score
Hi all
After nearly 10 years, my Macallister thicknesser has finally been retired and I am now looking for a replacement. My main use is to prepare wood (mainly hardwood) for a CNC machine after resawing but I will be using it for general DIY projects too. I've been looking at various machines but I am now unsure as to whether to go for just a thicknesser or a thickness planer.
I would be interested in hearing people's thoughts and any recommendations as to a good machine. I'm looking at around £400.

I was about to press the button on a Triton TPT125 at £299.95 less 10% at Screwfix so £270 but I left it too late and they sold out :(. The few retailers that have them in stock are charging a lot more so I've decided to wait. It's a good machine and well recommended on this forum.

I was about to press the button on a Triton TPT125 at £299.95 less 10% at Screwfix so £270 but I left it too late and they sold out :(. The few retailers that have them in stock are charging a lot more so I've decided to wait. It's a good machine and well recommended on this forum.
Just checked, showing as available for delivery...

I've recently picked up the 10" lumberjack PT254, much better than my previous 8" Erbaur from screwfix. So far find its good, tad on the loud side, but nothing ear defenders can't cope with.

Well, I told the wife about £400 so i went for the Triton, (set expectations so got a dust extractor too:devilish: still less than the £400) she's happy, I'm happy.
The 12inch Macalister did me well for the past 10 years, got that at a discount too - reduced from about £190 to around £130 If I remember correctly. If this lasts half as long I'll be happy.

Thanks everyone

Well, I told the wife about £400 so i went for the Triton, (set expectations so got a dust extractor too:devilish: still less than the £400) she's happy, I'm happy.
The 12inch Macalister did me well for the past 10 years, got that at a discount too - reduced from about £190 to around £130 If I remember correctly. If this lasts half as long I'll be happy.

Thanks everyone
Well done that man! I just managed t get the £270 spend past the Finance Director I think as we are just about to start a new phase of building work another £130 would have met with much howling and wailing and nashing of teeth...especially as I've recently bought a vintage pillar drill and a rather nice Metabo sander...

Back