Thicknesser electrics

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawtooth-9

Established Member
Reaction score
Have a 400 mm planer thicknesser.
Runs from a 5 hp 3 phase motor
Has a manual Star / delta starter, running from a DOL starter.
After start, takes about 3 seconds and then you switch from star to delta.
Has been working fine, until this morning - when the switch appeared to "freeze"
Managed to get the machine running with a small shifter to get the switch to turn, but not happy doing this.
I guess the switch is "stuffed" - but not sure why this has just occurred
Any thoughts would be appreciated

Sparking of the contacts could have burnt some making it hard to use, pity you are t'other side of world I have a new old stock one in the drawer that was a backup for a 5 hp 3 phase re-saw.

Sparking of the contacts could have burnt some making it hard to use, pity you are t'other side of world I have a new old stock one in the drawer that was a backup for a 5 hp 3 phase re-saw.
Thanks for that, I will look locally, but if I can't get one, I might send a pic and see if your one would fit the bill.
I don't know yet whether manual star delta switches are still available - most seem to be auto, running off a timer.

Just dug it out new old stock Klockner Moeller T3

IMG_20220630_1548429.jpg IMG_20220630_1548528~2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, I think shipping and tax from UK would be close to that price hope you get sorted soon.

Assuming I get the electrics sorted, I will re-paint and get her looking happy again.Originally painted a "crass" green and then re-painted a hammertone gold.
I once had a " Tanner " thicknesser, ( I think this was ex NZ O) which I re - built a lifetime ago and it was a really good machine. , I don't even remember where it finally went. Guess that's old age ! ( old age is defined as the transition between being a relic and a fossil ! )
This SICMA machine is a REAL beast, and worth the effort.
I guess the Italians had plenty of good cast iron left over after Benito left the scene !
It's a 16 inch planer and probably weighs around 300 Kg !
If there is any interest - I will post

If it can be dismantled then it might be worth taking it apart and seeing if it can be repaired. Sometimes they get dust etc inside, or corroded contacts which can be cleaned up with wet and dry. If you have written it off then nothing to lose. I have been able to repair quite a few on old lathes and similar over the years.

If it can be dismantled then it might be worth taking it apart and seeing if it can be repaired. Sometimes they get dust etc inside, or corroded contacts which can be cleaned up with wet and dry. If you have written it off then nothing to lose. I have been able to repair quite a few on old lathes and similar over the years.
Yes, you can dismantle, but I suspect that the cams ( which are located on a square shaft ) have moved on the shaft. It would be worthwhile if I knew I could get spare cams - but this switch is European and is 40 years old.
Assuming I can get the new switch to function, I will dismantle the old one - as a learning experience ( and possibly a spare )

I just take lots of pictures as it comes apart, otherwise the similarity of all the parts can make reassembly a bit entertaining ! You might be pleasantly surprised, they are generally pretty robust and as Phil says often just burnt contacts can make them surprisingly gritty and hard to engage. If you are lucky these can often be cleaned up, then at least you will have a spare. Good luck with it, sounds like an impressive but if kit.

Just dug it out new old stock Klockner Moeller T3

View attachment 138691 View attachment 138692
Krauss & Namer make very good switches that are almost identical to this one - and will be available in Australia through any good electrical wholesaler.

However I suspect switching high currents during start-up might be asking for trouble. I wonder why they fitted a start/delta switch for a 5hp motor? I know Wadkin didn't for their 5hp saws (and Wadkin weren't known for taking shortcuts). I'd suggest you fit an appropriate DOL starter where the contacts are designed to cope with the ~8amp per phase current a 5hp motor will draw.
...I once had a " Tanner " thicknesser, ( I think this was ex NZ O) which I re - built a lifetime ago and it was a really good machine...
I'm currently working my way through my recently acquired one of these. My first NZ made woodworking machine.

Cheers, Vann.

Krauss & Namer make very good switches that are almost identical to this one - and will be available in Australia through any good electrical wholesaler.

However I suspect switching high currents during start-up might be asking for trouble. I wonder why they fitted a start/delta switch for a 5hp motor? I know Wadkin didn't for their 5hp saws (and Wadkin weren't known for taking shortcuts). I'd suggest you fit an appropriate DOL starter where the contacts are designed to cope with the ~8amp per phase current a 5hp motor will draw.

I'm currently working my way through my recently acquired one of these. My first NZ made woodworking machine.

Cheers, Vann.
Yes, you could fit a heavy duty DOL which would cope with a high amp delta start.
The rated full load delta run current is around 8.5 amps. For a delta start, you can draw up to 5 times the running amps = around 40 amps at start.
I am running this off a 32 amp 3 phase generator. My internal sub - board is fused to 25 amps.
Just doing a delta start is looking for trouble.

Finally managed to get the new switch into place and working.
The old switch was taken apart - and the cams had moved on the square shaft - not worth keeping, except for a few "useful" parts.
I will give the old girl a lick of paint and "attempt" some maintenance - which is a REAL challenge on any Italian machine. Great design, great build , you just can't get access to do any repairs !

Back