thicknesser driving me mad

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi guys
i have a record pt260 planer thicknesser the problem is with the thicknesser. i am getting snipe on both ends of the board and in the middle of the board slight ridges i have taken some pics. baldes are just been sharpend and they are set useing gauge provided with
the mechien. could it be the rollers :? i have noticed that there is some play in thicknesser bed 0.5mm, not sure if it should be there, opposite corners (diagonally)i.e when corner A is flat on surface-corner C (opposite) is not touching surface with corners B & D flat (whether A or C are flat on surface) on surface and vice versa (A & C) .
If the bed is the problem then how can i fix it :?.
i hope i am making some sence. cos i dont know if i am............ :?

thank you

ahmad

DSCF4307 (640 x 480).jpg

Attachments

• DSCF4307 (640 x 480).jpg
    DSCF4307 (640 x 480).jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 291
  • DSCF4322 (640 x 480).jpg
    DSCF4322 (640 x 480).jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 189
  • DSCF4321 (640 x 480).jpg
    DSCF4321 (640 x 480).jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 189
  • DSCF4323 (640 x 480).jpg
    DSCF4323 (640 x 480).jpg
    29 KB · Views: 189
Hi

How old is the machine ?

when you say you have set the blades ? how and with what ? a photo will help

are your boards supported on roller stands on the way in to the thicknesser and on the out feed side as well ?

hi blister,
thankyou for you quick replay i got this planer thicknesser second hand about 9 months a go i think it is 4 years old the pices i am thicknessing at the moment are 47cm and i am getting snipe at both ends about 4.9mm. i am have attached a pic of the gauge i am using. i dont have snipe when i am planing.

hope this helps

best regards

ahmad

Attachments

• DSCF4325 (640 x 480).jpg
    DSCF4325 (640 x 480).jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 132
  • DSCF4329 (640 x 480).jpg
    DSCF4329 (640 x 480).jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 132
hi steve thanks for you replay i have viewed this clip. but the problem is still there even on small 47cm pice of softwood. snipe is not there when i am planing.

ps: i always view you youtbe video and i think you videos are the best.
ahmad

First thing I'd try would be to lift the board very slightly as first contacts the infeed roller and, then again, before the board leaves the outfeed roller. I think Steve mentioned something about this in his video, if my memory serves me well? It can make a difference.

Otherwise, I'd suggest making a 'false' bed from a sheet of 18mm plywood, with a piece of timber attached to the underside of one end so that the bed cannot be pulled through the machine. Of course, you'd then have to compensate for this on the scale by allowing for the thickness of the ply. But, you could make it longer than the current table, which should help to reduce snipe.

My AW106PT has rollers on both the in and outfeed. Rollers aren't essential; it's purely the extra support they provide in keeping the board supported. Hope this helps. :)

Back