thickness/planers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

hi
iam thinking of buying a SCM thickness/planer
has anyone any info or opinions on this machine as i have not heard of this make before. any help would be great

Mookie

SCM are the world's largest manufacturer of woodworking machine and are based at Rimini in Italy. Try the UK site at http://www.scmgb.co.uk/scmgb/set2.htm for more details. The corporate group includes SCM, Minimax, Morbidelli (CNC routers), Routech (CNC routers) and a host of others. In the UK their HQ is at Nottingham and they do hold spares here in the UK - all the dealers I know have a showroom with a number of machines on show and they are normally very helpful when it comes to viewing machines in action or even on site. I currently have just one SCM machine, a spindle moulder (T130C), but I have owned and used SCM, Minimax and Samco (now Minimax) stuff in the past. The SCM stuff is good heavy industrial stuff, the Minimax is aimed more at trade/cabinetmakers, so less bells and whistles and a bit lighter (but much heavier than, say, Scheppach) but is nonetheless well nailred together. The only downside with secondhand machines is that the Italian wiring isn't so hot (and that's not just SCM IMHO) and may need to be replaced (normally just starters and switches, nothing more). Which machine are you interested in? New or secondhand?

Scrit

:D thanks for your reply.
today i purchased a second hand scm thickness planner for £700 i m not sure how old it is but it seems to be in fairly good condition apart from as you mentioned a broken switch.
two questions, how can i find out how old it is and where can i buy replacement knives etc.

mookie

Say that again about italian wiring - I had an Alfa Romeo that had a top quality italian wiring job.

Hope you bodywork on the SCM lasted longer than my motor :cry:

Mookie

What model is it, and what colour? (sand-coloured, two-tone green, light green, white...) Also, what does the motor rating plate say? SCM CAN GET most spares, but for switch gear there are cheaper and better alternatives. Post the info and I'll see if I can get you some appropraite sort of answer

Incidentally my P/T (a Casadei) is more than 20 years old and still going strong - because I replaced the switchgear - the spindle moulder is due for a transplant really soon... Unlike Alfas woodworking machines don't run round in the rain, so they dissolve more slowly, much more slowly..... :lol:

Regards

Scrit

Back