thermoforming corian?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bird2740

Reaction score
Any tips on bending 60mm deep corian edge 200mm radius.can i use a hot air gun or 2 ,blowing into a small wooden box with corian inside? very greatful for any help.

I believe the magic number for bending corian is around 140C-160C... If you get too much over 180C, the corian can start to blister. If your corian is 60mm thick, I reckon you'd need a good couple of hours at that temperature to allow the heat to work it's way to the middle.

I expect you'd get it hot enough with airguns and a box, but you'll have a hard time maintaining the right temperature. An oven may be a better bet.

Fecn":yso52mon said:
I believe the magic number for bending corian is around 140C-160C... If you get too much over 180C, the corian can start to blister. If your corian is 60mm thick, I reckon you'd need a good couple of hours at that temperature to allow the heat to work it's way to the middle.

I expect you'd get it hot enough with airguns and a box, but you'll have a hard time maintaining the right temperature. An oven may be a better bet.
corian is 800mm x 60mm x 12mm

I've done it in an oven but a 800mm strip will be too long, Propane blow heaters are good for heating it up (thats what the fabricator I use does it with). If you are bending the whole length then a hot air gun won't really do but if its just a bend in the middle you may get away with it. Temp wise Fenc's about right but only 10mins in a preheated oven, you will feel it start to bend, just don't get too hot otherwise it blisters.

Did this box lid in the oven then quickly stuck it into the vacuum press over a former before it cooled

Jason

the suppliers of getacore (richard russell in croydon) can put you in touch with a manufacturer up north i think

essentially its a long aluminium heating iron designed for just this type of job (edge strips)

it does work ive seen it, its around the £300 mark

getacore is a similar type of product to corian

Hate to revive an 8 year old thread but any one have any ideas where I could go a heated strip from, did try the place suggested but no luck, also Google is letting me down :(

Adidat

if its only one piece how about asking the craft department in your local comprehensive or college and offer adonation to the funds ?

adidat":r7o8v2k6 said:
Do you think a college would have a facility to heat up 3m of corian?
3 mtr suggests a worktop?
If so then just buy some correct colour adhesive, stick a strip along the front (MDF sopport section behind) ans rout the edge to give a seamless solid section.
You won't find a college with the equipment to form a 3 mtr length though some of them probably have a simple line bender for other plastics.

The manufactures of the heating bars used in the solid surface industry is elkom see here http://www.elkomuk.co.uk/heating/

Mine is about 1200mm long and was pretty expensive for what it is but it does the job well. You can get them from the Corian distributors CDUK in Leeds

Cheers jon

Back