There's No Money In It Anymore.........

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argus

Established Member
Reaction score
Apart from only flying through a supermarket once a week for the past 6 months or so, I haven't had much change in my pocket - it's all done with plastic these days.

Now I see, in today's' news, that the Royal Mint has a stock of unused coins and won't, in all probability, be issuing any new ones for the foreseeable.

Apart from spending the stuff, I always secreted a new coin of the year, with its date, inside each piece I made. Some of this would never be seen again........ who knows what or when.

What else do people use to mark their work?

Usually I incorporate at least one mistake in my work but i'm learning how to hide them better!
My friend was a genius (in the true sense). He once completed a maths paper in record time with every answer correct. He got 99%. When he queried this he was told by the master (who was in his eighties, fifty years ago) that he had been marked down one percent because only God was perfect. :)

Last edited:
Inside some panelling I made:

vhWwMjl.jpg

Over the front door:

oYAVlIP.jpg

fkYZDfb.jpg

Not sure about that Bob, have you seen how much a sparky sweats on inspection day?
As for plumbers, you'll be able to find plenty of DNA for them, normally in the fabric of the seat cushion though. :)

There is a musket shot embedded in the timber frame of my house. Interestingly it is perfectly round not the slightest hint of deformation. I concluded that it must have been fired into the tree whilst growing as I do not see how it could have not deformed if fired post construction. Therefore the Timber framer must have decided to leave it in situ for me to discover 300 years later.

There is a musket shot embedded in the timber frame of my house. Interestingly it is perfectly round not the slightest hint of deformation. I concluded that it must have been fired into the tree whilst growing as I do not see how it could have not deformed if fired post construction. Therefore the Timber framer must have decided to leave it in situ for me to discover 300 years later.

Very interesting, that musket shot story. I bought some waney-edge Q S Oak (French, I think) from Wests about 20 years ago and made a table with it. Lovely stuff, except I did find two unexpected lead bullets. I cut them out and kept them as an 'ornament' in the dining room - here they are on said table. I had already cut off and burned the waney edge and the sap wood, so I was unable to say when the tree was shot in relation to when it was cut.

Bullets in Oak (2).JPG

As an extension to this topic, I have a field behind my house where this complete harrow - the whole thing shackles and all - was left leaning against an Ash tree, many, many years ago. It's still there, but that picture is some years old and the whole thing has vanished again.

In-grown harrow (1).JPG

Is there something like the Dublin mint office in England that will send you really cool free coins like Jim Fitzpatrick's art for instance?.

In the office at the Timberyard I go to they have on the wall a chunk of oak and the cut that was going through it which stopped at the horseshoe that the tree had grown around, can’t imagine what it did to the sawblade!

On double boarded doors I always put my initials and the date on the inside where it will never be seen, one day it'll probably come back to bite me!

As an extension to this topic, I have a field behind my house where this complete harrow - the whole thing shackles and all - was left leaning against an Ash tree, many, many years ago. It's still there, but that picture is some years old and the whole thing has vanished again.

That'll be a very interesting one to cut down in a few years time!

We have an old prop shaft half embedded into a tree in our garden, must take a photo of it when I eventually get down to my workshop.

Back