There's a bullet in my wood!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony":1pjcz08l said:
Bean":1pjcz08l said:
Tony why not its lead, it will cut very easily :wink:

Thoughts of it shooting out once again....... :lol:

Simply place a tree next to your thicknesser and you could get a two-for-one on bullet-marked wood.

Actually, this is where you need one of those massive industrial belt sanders like Norm has... or a pad sander.

I visited a small sawmill in Sussex where the owner had once encountered a complete shotgun inside an oak he had sawn - didn't do his bandsaw a whole lot of good I bet!

Lead and copper cut safely and aren't a problem. The problem is the nail that help up the target. ;)

51335796.jpg

A railroad spike 20' up the tree probably used to hold a lantern some time in the 1930's was a problem too, as it was in the second log and I only used the metal detector on the lower log. ;)

51164668.jpg

The wood is Arbutus or Pacific Madrone, and came from a 240-year-old tree on the beach over 60" in diameter, so it was worth the trouble:

51164646.jpg

50978394.jpg

The logs were too heavy to load and had to be resawn.

50978769.jpg

Here's what it looks like finished:

266297460.jpg

Tony, you have all the luck! I was happily sawing some scraps earlier for sticks (for drying the oak I just bought from Interesting Timbers) with a 4tpi Hook blade (first time I've used it) and I happened to cut right in to an unforseen screwhead I'd carelessly left in there many months ago! :roll:

Your saw will cut right through a bullet but after catching that damn screw this blade won't even cut 19mm thick timber!! Took the edge right off. :(

Phillipp, that story is incredible - to think that it eventually led to the demise of the company. :shock:

Kevin Lay found a bullet in some burr elm in an article he did for F&C a few years back. Also heard of people find barbed wire in trees.

Matt.

I have sawn .22 bullet like that and much worse a copper coated .303 bullet.

Both were in English Walnut and both on circular saw.

The 303 was not fun. Good example of why eye/face protection is always necessary.
David

Here's a couple of pics I took while seeing how biscuits are manufactured for a magazine feature i'm writing.
This bullet was found while resawing logs. There are other pieces on display with barbed wire, nails, bits of fences, all sorts of stuff, and very deeply embedded!
Apparently, on a normal day, a Stellite tipped resaw blade will have to be changed every 5 hours - a lot less if you hit anything like this!!!

Andy

bullet2.jpg

bullet.jpg

Bob

That madrone is a wonderful colour when it's fresh sawn and when it's finished. Is it normally used for toolmaking, like that handsome bow saw of yours?

Regards.

Evergreen":plkzl3l7 said:
Bob

That madrone is a wonderful colour when it's fresh sawn and when it's finished. Is it normally used for toolmaking, like that handsome bow saw of yours?

Regards.

Actually, it's normally used as firewood. It's mostly and understory tree that twists to reach the sun and makes poor lumber, although turners like it. This tree growing in full sun was an exception.

Back