Theory of interior house door (and frame) fitting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I had another look this afternoon and I'm going to take a belt sander to the wall for the worst bit (approx 20cm by 20cm) and repaint afterwards, and the rest I will do with caulk. There's always a new lesson to be learnt!

Bm101":1xi3jcud said:
Quick question for the pros.
Why are rising hinges not fitted as standard?
I can't see any disadvantages other than unit price maybe or specific situations where you would not want a door easily removable?

I think I've only used them a couple times on casings that were badly out of plumb (door swinging open and binding on carpet). I certainly didn't find them easy to remove as there was barely any clearance for the door to lift past the head architrave. I'd rather just unscrew the hinge from the casing.
Maybe, I was supplied cheap ones :| as said, only used on a couple of doors.

LancsRick":3i9wvgl5 said:
Thanks. I had another look this afternoon and I'm going to take a belt sander to the wall for the worst bit (approx 20cm by 20cm) and repaint afterwards, and the rest I will do with caulk. There's always a new lesson to be learnt!

yeah, its annoying when it happens. Casings should alway go in first if possible (don't mean to sound like a broken record).

Having said that, you can sometimes still encounter this problem even with the casing fitted before plastering. I know quite a few plasterers who have no qualms about making an easy job like fitting architraves a proper pita.

Sanded and undercoated it yesterday so the unevenness is manageable now. Going to need an extra pair of hands to hold the frame in place I think but other than that I should be all set now, thanks for all the advice :).

Thanks for all the help, pictures below.

So, the outcome? Frame fixings are excellent, and they broadly went up without issue. I do have a slight plaster bulge on the left side of the double doorway by a couple of mm, so I'll have to scallop out the architrave a bit there - it wasn't worth bringing the whole frame out for it. Other than that it all looks the business!

Attachments

• 20190422_183623.jpg
    20190422_183623.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • 20190422_183610.jpg
    20190422_183610.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
Back