Then I bought Famag, now I'm a believer, not a trace of doubt in my mind

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those bits are going to be a nightmare when it comes time to re-shapen them. they would be about half an inch shorter by the time I thought they were ready with me doing it

I think thats a crazy amount of money to spend on a set of drill bits.

I'm sure they're lovely to use, but for me, they would fall into the category of never being used as they need to be saved for "special projects".

Those bits are going to be a nightmare when it comes time to re-shapen them. they would be about half an inch shorter by the time I thought they were ready with me doing it

I wouldn't know where to start, other than going out and buying a Dremmel.

Famag have monthly special offers on their website - usually quite well hidden at the bottom of the page. They don't sell direct but, if you contact your preferred participating dealer and tell them of the offer, they should honour it.
Famag used to have sharpening instructions on their website but I haven't looked lately. Perhaps I should, my 50mm Forster bit needs sharpening.
Duncan

I just parted with £35ish for a set of 6mm - 10mm in 0.1mm increments. That hurt enough.:)
It is painful, but I have found that decent bits make such a difference that the cost can be worth it. It depends on how often you use particular tools though; I cheap out on carbide endmills as I don't use them that often, and I have Bosch/Fisch forstners in random sizes I don't use as often. Slowly replacing commonly used metal drill bits with cobalt has been a no-brainer; given the huge difference in the cutting experience.

I started buying quality drill bits about 3 years ago and like Steve suggested the difference is night and day.
I started with festool which are excellent , just recently bought fisch bits from Axminster which are more economical and equally as good.
Will try Famag when I get the chance.

I'm still trying to find some reasonably priced lip and spur bits that actually have a central point. Most of them are ground pretty rougly which makes them almost useless for trying to center on a hole made from an awl.

I started buying quality drill bits about 3 years ago and like Steve suggested the difference is night and day.
I started with festool which are excellent , just recently bought fisch bits from Axminster which are more economical and equally as good.
Will try Famag when I get the chance.

Don’t Fisch make the bits for Festool or sommat like that?

left hand drills in my shop get used for drilling out broken studs and bolts from castings.....
often the heat and direction will unscrew the broken part.....
I also have a set of German HSS Cobalt drill's for st /steel etc and special jobs.....ouch...but they work....
funny tho, as quite often u can buy a solid Carbide milling cutter cheaper that the same size Cobalt drill.....!!!!!
but u cant just rip an engine out of a tractor to get it on the Bridgeport for Helicoiling can u....hahaha....

Back