"The Woodworker" magazin

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I have the opportunity to buy some old magazines of "The woodworker", but i don't know the quality of the magazine.

I have Fine Woodworking and popular woodworking subscribed and like both magazines.

Anyone who knows "The woodworker", can the magazine be compared with FWW?

Regards
Rolf

Hi Rolf

I don't think you can compare any of the UK magazines with FWW.

The simple reason is that FWW serves a massive market with many professional contributors. In the UK none of the magazines has the finance to even come close.

Of the magazines available in the Uk, I believe, that it is generally accepted that Good Woodworking is the best.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Neil
Expressing a personal view.

Hi,
The Woodworker is a venerable magazine. I have some old copies which go back to the twenties and thirties. It is a bit of staid thing but good value. In UK I would guess that GWW and Woodworker are top of the tree with Pop WW trailing behind a bit. No doubt others will disagree and probably sent in much debate.

Look at each..decide what YOU want and then buy.

best of luck

Rolf,

Depends. How old are they? If they're really old ones then do no hesitate. For my money it went downhill irrevocably in the 1980's, although I could argue it never recovered from Charles Hayward's retirement as Editor. From a hand tool perspective anything right up to the 60's will have lots of good articles. Not sure how much help it will be, but you can see some articles from 1920's editions on my website under "Galootish Gleanings".

Cheers, Alf

Hi Rolf - I think Neil & Alf have said it all. I suscribe to FWW and used to have various other UK published ones as well. I now have only one and it's not 'The Woodworker' - If they are really old then you may gain some info but if they are post 1980 I doubt it :(

the isuess are from 1992-2002. i tried to get some informations about the Woodworker from their homepage, but couldn´t find some informations, to get an "image" of the magazine.

My interests are handtools and furniture of solid wood, so the view of a "real Woodworker" :wink:

regards
Rolf

I think folks are probably about right as to the current state of Woodworker. I've got a complete run from 1939 up to about 2001, when I finally decided it was not in any form value for money.
But up until the mid 1990s, I think it was <better> than FWW - if only because it was designed for the UK market, and didn't assume that you had 100 acres of forest outside your back door!
So if the copies are pre 1995, I'd say "buy them".

dickm":76546d5s said:
I've got a complete run from 1939 up to about 2001
<Collapses from jealousy overload>
eek.gif

Cheers, Alf

I have often visited our local library and requested the old annuals of this magazine, our library stock of this magazine goes back to almost prehistoric times. There's no mention of machinery except the reference to lathes. I think the olduns were frightened to use table saws etc.

devonwoody":1p4d1361 said:
I have often visited our local library and requested the old annuals of this magazine, our library stock of this magazine goes back to almost prehistoric times. There's no mention of machinery except the reference to lathes. I think the olduns were frightened to use table saws etc.

Quite right too!! I treat my tablesaw as if it contains a large, angry ratlesnake!!! :shock:

(Especially after a nasty kickback the other day, which just missed me, but chipped the powder coat on my nice shiny lathe!!! :cry:

My Triton table saw doesn't kickback its got a plstic/nulon toggle that holds timber towards blade and fence.

no kickbacks TOUCH WOOD.

Taffy, do you have a riving knife fitted? Shouldn't really kickback with one on

devonwoody":3sznkz17 said:
Tony":3sznkz17 said:
Taffy, do you have a riving knife fitted? Shouldn't really kickback with one on

Is that guaranteed Tony?

DW

Look at the wording of my post

'shouldn't'

So YES, I guarantee that the riving knife is there to help prevent kickback.

Back