The Woodworker and Woodturner competition

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GillD":20vzsp9l said:
It's nice to know that you're thinking about my welfare, but I'm up to my eyeballs in academia right now so I doubt I'll be able to enter the competition anyway :( . (I know, you're not just thinking about me - there are other quirks of woodwork around too :) ).

Gill

Too late GIll, they've practically filled in your application and sent it. :lol: :lol: :shock:

Adam

I agree with Andy about the judges decisions on grading.

It is the closure date (as with the box comp last year) that is most likely to foil me.

Fair point as well - what date are we talking about (approx)

T

Newbie_Neil":1rgpzv4r said:
Hi all

Does any member have an objection to a mod entering? Would there be any question about the legitimacy of the entry?

Cheers
Neil

Off course not just as long as he/she didnt win :lol: :lol: :lol:

Drat you Adam :) ! Now I'll have to find out where His Lordship's hidden my hammer and masonry nails ;) .

Actually, the prospect of being able to mangle some MDF and present it to this forum without feeling as if I'm letting the side down is rather appealling. If I can get the new workshop up and running in time, this competition might be a good way to christen it.

Gill

I've been thinking about how the competition ought to be assessed in order to give relative novices a chance. My suggestion is that since this isn't going to be a competition for purists, the judges could look for elements in the entry that aren't necessarily related to woodwork. For example, in one category you could award 40% of the marks for design/originality and 20% for technical ability (with the remainder being awarded for other aspects). In another category, you might award 20% of the marks for design/originality and 40% for technical ability. That might be one way of levelling the playing field.

Gill

Steve asks a valid question. Would something like this count? It's MDF underneath guv, honest.

Gill, get out here and flaunt your MDF! Don't conceal it in your bunker away from the light. :D

Cheers, Alf

Why don't we simple trust each entrant to pick the category they think that their entry should be in. In the most part we are talking about members of UKworkshop, the very same members who when we post a question we trust to point us in the right direction.

Unless my trust is misplaced, in a competition like this i cannot see anyone purposely :roll: putting him or herself forward for a lower category then they should be in. And even if they do mistakenly or otherwise, then the judges :twisted: will have the option to move them to a more suitable category.

As for the allocation of the prizes, like i have already said the easiest way is to let Mark or Keith choose the categories they are allocated to. Forget the poll idea that was a bit silly.

Regards

Woody

Woody - great suggestion. Works for me

Edit: I had a further thought on this although still very much in support of Woody's suggestion:
I think we are all agreed that it is very unlikely that any entries will be maliciously entered into a lower category and will more likely be a result of entrants' modesty. However, if the judges do decide to move an entrant there is a real chance that that entrant (while rightly very flattered) could feel robbed of a possible prize - based on the premise that if it wasn't moved it could have won that category.

Therefore I suggest that any entrant that is moved should have at least a mention (because to most people that is worthy of note and recognition). I don't whether it is possible to ask any of the generous prize donors if there is something they could offer as a token.

Is it also possible for a gallery to be used to post a pic of all entries - even if only for a short period. They so often get lost quickly and if you can't remember enough about the thread its difficult to search for them.

Nice surname by the way Keith!! :lol:

Cheers

Tim

Nice surname by the way Keith!!

Tim :roll: :wink: :lol:

I thought that if readers from The woodworker and Woodturner came here it would be better if I dispensed with the KeithS and used my name. One or two people had already worked out who I was anyway :lol:

Moderators can enter the competition, one thing about woodworkers is that we are a pretty honest bunch and I hope you will all appreciate that everyone will be judged fairly.

In the same vein we have decided to let everyone choose which category they wish to enter. After all if someone we recognize as advance at one skill wanted to try something completely different, I don't see a problem entering a lower category than would otherwise be thought reasonable.(just write a note in your text when submitting your entry)

A mention was made about entering a beautifully veneered ply box and how it may run away with the prize, but this is not so, it would score badly for originality and imaginative use of materials; 40% of the total score. Also something just nailed together would probably score badly for quality of finish and "did we find it pleasing".

So after much feverish discussion and we have made a few decisions namely;

new bits in blue
Updated 19th April in red
The Competition

The theme of the competition is incorporating man-made material, MDF, ply etc into your woodwork. Although the piece should be mostly wood, to make the competition open to all members, any man-made material may be used to form part of the finished work to comply with the rules.

The odd screw or hinge does not count.

Charlie, Alf and I are writing an article for the magazine, about UKWorkshop.co.uk, which will preview the competition; and after the competition there will be an article featuring all the winning entries.

The Judges will be;
Mark Ramuz; editor at The Woodworker and Woodturner
Woodythepecker
Charlie
Tony

And myself

Judging criteria;

up to 5 points will be awarded for each of the following 5 categories;

Originality.
Imaginative use of materials
Choice of materials used.
Quality of finish.
Did you find it pleasing?

In order to make it easier to enter only one work in progress picture is required; it should clearly show that the piece is being made by your own fair hands together with two or three photographs of the finished piece and a paragraph on the idea/how/why of construction.

Other than the photos for the entry, no construction details/ pictures in progress may be posted on the site until after close of competition. except for the Advanced section which can post as many pictures as they see fit

Each member can submit one entry
Entries can be submitted on the forum or mailed or emailed to me (I will sort out details of the address to send them later) and I will post them on the site.

The completion will be divided into;

Beginner
Intermediate
Advanced

Prizes

Beginner category; Keller 18V combi drill, Mckeller circular saw and a Black and Decker Sandstorm detail sander

Intermediate category; Pair of coarse and fine 11.5inch diamond bench stones (worth £160)

Advanced category; Lie-Nielsen No4 (the one I recently tested so I know it’s a good one)

The runner up from each category will win an annual subscription to The Woodworker and Woodturner.

Photographs of the winning entries will be published in The Woodworker and Woodturner.

Edited 2-3-05, Alf no no longer wishes to be a judge

That sounds great Keith. Nice one.
Sometimes the simple solutions are the best!

Good thing I don't already own the LN #4, as I doubt I'd get away with entering the Intermediate group for a chance at the diamond stones! Yep, I'm very happy to have a pop in the advanced class for that excellent prize!

I think even Philly would be silenced gloat-wise if someone ended up with two of the same L-N... Reason enough to enter even if you already have one then. :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Sounds very tempting.
I am definitely interested in entering, but of course the closing date will dictate this for me as I don't get a lot of time when I'm home at weekends.

One question though. What is the definition of a manmade material?
Would plywood count? After all it is essentially just sheets of wood glued together.

Anyone know how the classes for the axminster / F&C competitions are determined as they have classes for :student, professional, trained amature and experienced amature. But where would an untrained beginner fit in?

I quite like Chris's catagories as I could enter as a beginner :D

Jason

Closing date Saint Georges Day.

I will do a longer post soon (basically when I get time) I hope to put a few photo's of my knocked together bits of MDF and what sort of category they might fit in.

Jason, a beginner :roll: you have posted too many pictures mate :lol:

Ply is certainly man made as for other materials, for instance;

Jason turned a bowl with a large crack which he filled with a mixture of epoxy and metal powder (if my memory serves me correctly); that would make an excellent entry. In the advanced category :twisted:

BTW St Georges day is the 23rd April.

Keith

Thanks Keith, 53 days? Plenty of time......

Back