The ultimate workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bummer I missed it, my video let me down just as it was starting and all I saw was a recap of the previous weeks. Been following it too. 'Boo Hoo'! :cry:

Looks like it's repeated on Sunday - you're in luck!

I too was very disappointed with the last episode. I quite liked the first four episodes because I'm considering building a new workshed - but it was little more than a glorified "shedheads" episode. TW was beginning to irritate me by the end of the series - and it was pretty clear he knows little about woodworking which makes the concept of him having a large workshop full of tools slightly redundant. I did wonder too if those tools were just a loan. It's a shame they need someone like TW to make a series like that - would have been much better with a real woodworking enthusiast. I know we all complained about Cutting Edge Woodworker, Great British Woodshop, Smith and Sweetman etc but any of these and something similiar would be a fresh of breath air after the absence of a anything at all (apart from repeats of Norm's last few series again and again and again)!

Cheers

Gidon

gidon":hpcazrwn said:
Looks like it's repeated on Sunday - you're in luck!
You've got a bizarre notion of luck, Gidon :p :wink: :) .

gidon":hpcazrwn said:
I know we all complained about Cutting Edge Woodworker, Great British Woodshop, Smith and Sweetman

Ahem! Cough! Splutter! 'we all complained'? A number of us enjoyed those programmes and said so at the time. At least I've been able to watch CEW & GBW again (and record them this time :) ) on the Extra channel. I agree, though, it would be nice to see the format of these shows resurrected. Although Norm is always worth watching, we need a bit of variety in our television diet.

Bring back Richard Blizzard and John Revell!

Gill

Gill":2griyx83 said:
gidon":2griyx83 said:
I know we all complained about Cutting Edge Woodworker, Great British Woodshop, Smith and Sweetman

Ahem! Cough! Splutter! 'we all complained'? A number of us enjoyed those programmes and said so at the time. At least I've been able to watch CEW & GBW again (and record them this time :) ) on the Extra channel.

Well don't think I complained much either (but please don't search the archives and check :)). In fact I really enjoyed CEW (again) when it was repeated recently. He has interesting designs and uses novel techniques. Would love another series - but fat chance I reckon.

Cheers

Gidon

Another disappointed viewer, like most of the comments before me the build stage was interesting to me as I will be extending my garage come workshop in the new year, so it gave me a good insight on how it may help as I intend to extend it myself.

But the tool side was absolutely a waste of time how can the ultimate workshop have such a poor range of tools surely it should have the best that money can buy?

There were so many tools not even mentioned in the program & very little comment on what they do, as mentioned before no dust extraction, no timber storage area although the mezzanine floor would have been great for that & it probably will never be used as it was not his house, he was in a Sunday newspaper supplement I think it was last week that said he lived in hackney the article was about him extending his home.

So a real let down at the end.

I pretty much agree with all that's been said.

I also saw Cutting Edge Woodworker recently, and for the very first time. I certainly liked it aswell. At least Paul Bradburn gives you a brief look around some of the machinery he uses and he showed a good deal of "cutting edge" techniques to match.

Just how many people are fortunate enough to own a tennoner in their own workshop though! :shock:

I do like the great British Workshop also, but often found a lot of David Free's projects quite intimidating to be honest. But the content was right. He knew what he was doing and how to do it.

I cannot stand Gavin Lowe though - what a tart! They should've given even more time to Rico Daniels if recalamtion is what they want!

Personally, I'm a big fan of Alan Herd. He first stood out working alongside Tommy Walsh and practically took over the show with his vision and skills for woodworking. I missed Narrowboat but didn't miss a second of Restoration Man - that's something else I'd like to see make a return.

Where was Alan in Tommy's workshop anyway?
Why can't we more of what's inside his workshop instead?

Oswaldo!":5ig8jah7 said:
Personally, I'm a big fan of Alan Herd. He first stood out working alongside Tommy Walsh and practically took over the show with his vision and skills for woodworking. I missed Narrowboat but didn't miss a second of Restoration Man - that's something else I'd like to see make a return.

Could not agree more - he seems a real craftsman - more of Alan please !!

John

yet another agreement. Lets get more of Alan. He is renovating a long boat at the moment, really good show.

TW simply came across as not having a clue about any of his kit or what to use it for but then he is a general builder and not a cabinet maker? Misuse of the world ultimate as someone pointed out earlier.

I suspect that alot of things seem ultimate when you've laid that much decking in a lifetime. Nail gun and DeWalt chop saw not withstanding.

Tim: Personality braces...Made me laff out out.

tim":23fi672n said:
Definitely not my cup of tea!
Me neither, but we're in the minority on this one, Tim - Tommy's braces are (almost unbelievably) number 3 on the Axminster best sellers list :roll:
No wonder he got to make the program if he's that popular...

Cheers,
Neil

What is the world coming to - when TW's braces are the third most popular item Axminster sell - and that's with them being out of stock too :?.
Cheers
Gidon

I have always seen Tom Walsh as a builder and over the years have learnt a few thing about DIY/Building from some of his programs. I was never expecting a program on the finer points of woodworking. With plans to build my own workshop this spring I did pick up a few tips on the construction of the building. I must admit I couldn't see the point in the mezzanine floor, waste of effort & money in my book.

Got something out of all episodes except the last one.

I would like to have seen a bit more on the layout of the workshop. Best places for machines & making the most of space etc.

Looking to this forum really for advice & tips of what machines to get for my workshop as I am sure you guys make up a better knowlodge base than Tommy.

Alan.

Back