The ultimate workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
Seems the sponsor was Axminster , shame they didn't spend some real money and make it :norm: eh .

Yes, I was a little disappointed with the conclusion. The build itself was good in the first three programs, but todays was rushed with little clarity. He could have extended the series by another couple of episodes going through his tool selections, rather then a few glimses of some tools.

Started well, finished poorly.

JFC":9w3b5jrl said:
Seems the sponsor was Axminster , shame they didn't spend some real money and make it :norm: eh .

Been waiting several weeks to see what he might install, was disapointed, no dust collection, no routers, ok he did have the spindle molder on the combi but I would find it a pain to set up and then realise I needed to use the saw but I suppose thats just me having a knock. (green with envy) How come we ain't got a green emoticon?

Wrong presenter i think , they should have had Scrit buying the tools !
Now that would have been a workshop :D

Lord Nibbo":kyjle9af said:
(green with envy) How come we ain't got a green emoticon?

So what is is wrong with this one: :mrgreen:

I did not see the program so can't comment on it but the fact that Axminster are auctioning a pair of Tommy's braces did hint at some collaboration.

I'm glad someone posted this as I was about to. I saw the re-run late/early tonight, and was mightily disapointed with the tools that he got. How in heides could that be called the ultimate workshop when it 'features' axminsters most budget range of power tools (Perform) and he even had the cheek to use a nasty cheap fold-up bench!!

It should be re-named to 'The Ultimate Workshop - on a budget'

If he spent less time/money on shiny chairs and spotlights, he might have been able to afford a few festools and Lie-Nielsens - what a wasted oppurtunity!

Didn't see it but from what you say it sounds like another disservice to anyone wanting to do woodwork. I wonder how much money people will now waste because they didn't get good advice?

Yep....I agree with most comments.....its the first episode i watched(apart from the first one)....i actually remembered it was on.....he was like a kid with a new toy...a few more episodes should have made it more interesting.
I suspect that the production co paid for most of it hence a sponser from axminster of the hobby end tools.
I would have liked to see him install a large chipping extraction system and a fine dust system also what his work circle will be.
I found his mezzanine floor a nifty idea but not for a place to sit and hide from the mrs.....he is already out the house and away from the mrs so why does he need to hide i would have made it a clean finishing area but the rail on the front makes it difficult to get stuff up also his placement of windows was clever.
It has the potential of being being a cracking workshop. I thought he might have installed a wooden floor as working on concrete for long periods i find uncomfortable.
The workshop also didnt really blend in with its surroundings.....he never tried to mimic any of the materials his house is made from....something i find a turnoff if buying property
He also never showed any form of heating or timber storage and it also showed him doing a bit of the wiring...not something a brickie should be showing on national tv with all the latest legislation thats about.
He is an alright guy who has made it and does some nice building work (his workshop) but i just feel they didnt research the insides of workshops they visited properly.......most backyard woodworkers want to see tools....equipement and layout....something the series didn't provide.
(are you listening Nick)

It started off very interesting but finished poorly...why they showed an aston martin parked outside i've no idea.....most people i know with workshops arent too interested in cars as long as it can carry wood from the timber yard try putting some of that in an aston.

Its a pity they didn't ask me to build the ultimate workshop....I would have made it compulsary viewing. In fact most of the people here would have provided a better inside layout.....I just wonder how Tommy actually feels if the series was ended too quickly...something he probobly didnt have too much control over although he is mentioned as the series producer

I am just wondering what projects he is going to produce and if they will run a series on them

Ian

out playing with all his new home produced tools

:D to be quiet honst Ian i think it would have been better to have a few hours going round yours .

martyn

Hi All,
I agree with all the above. A revisit after a years working in there would be interesting. I wonder what the state of the plasma TV would be with the fans sucking in all the dust!
Series showed some promise at the start, liked the idea of keeping people waiting to see what the liftable floor was for, I thought storage - wrong.

To me it looked like the line producer isn't into woodwork, hence the Aston to 'sex up' the prog, failed badly. There must have been some promo involvement with Axminster but clearly not thought out.

I worked on a commercial shoot this week where the initial primary choice of main artiste was between Jordan and Tommy Walsh (don't ask!). Jordan wanted 30k for a buy out on a days work and TW was only 10k and he was well available.
Client turned out to be too mean for either so we went with a total nobody!

There is a real gap in the market for a well researched programme series in this area, it has not been done justice in the past and this latest effort fails badly despite early promise.
The sad reality is that these things do cost a lot of dosh to do properly even on Digi Beta and it would seem the cable networks will do their sums and conclude the market is not big enough I guess.

I am going to build a largish 20 x 20 workshop in my field at some point in the future and along with a producer friend of mine looked at the feasability of doing a real time WIP that could be cut into a series after the build and then sold to a channel like Discovery. His investigations showed that the cable channels get lots of this premade stuff through the door, mostly rubbish, but even the good ones get the run around and will not recoup costs let alone make it pay. This is because the stations have the whip hand re airtime and can dictate terms.

Regards
martin

Another disapointed viewer here! I was left wondering if he actually knows very much about woodworking beyond construction joinery. I also would like to see inside the workshop 10 days after they finished filming, I suspect some if not all of the tools were on "loan".

Like Ian I thought the idea behind the mezanine was very clever, but I can't see a top loading CD player working for long with the dust in a workshop, expecially since he did not fit an air filter, and as for the Plasma, that's just asking to be hit by the stray end of a length of timber!

Overall I liked the desing, but it was more along the lines of "The ultimate garden shed" than a workshop.

Les

I haven't followed this series religiously because I was waiting for the workshop build part to be completed to see what they were going to equip it with. I have to agree it was a totally disappointing end. From what I saw it was not a lot more than a better version of 'Shedheads'. A lot of the series concentrated on the build and then it comes to an abrupt end. It could have been entitled 'The ultimate shed'

The mezzanine floor was nifty but a bit gimmicky given that its position dictated whether the lower floor cupboards could be opened or not and you would have to cut holes in it for all items that were beneath it. Tool selection was glossed over with just some pictures of Axminster boxes and a very quick glance at the machines in the shop. Good luck trying to keep the dust out of the Plasma TV and stereo with just a basic dust extractor.

Seems to me it was series was aimed at impressing the mainstream audience rather than the dedicated woodworker. Another Home and Leisure let down.

Jeff

Jeff

Also disappointed at the ending - when unpacking his new tools off the delivery truck,it seemed to be a case of "Oooh,look what's in this box.."
rather than there being any plan behind it (e.g. tool selection/use)

So a bit like his mezzanine floor - let-down at the end of the day :(

Andrew

I watched the first one and thought I'll come back later in the series when its about the contents. I can't bear TW so I was only interested in the kit. Seems I missed it but I have to say that it was a typical overuse of the word 'Ultimate'.

You only have to look in Tools and Shops to see that in comparison it was at best a good shed or den. Still what do you expect from someone who wears 'personality' braces :roll:

Cheers

Tim

I could not believe the last episode, what a disappointment. When he was showing the Charnwood combi i got the impression that he did not know what he was talking about. Maybe i am being unfair but i would have thought that instead of showing his plasma tv he would have been better off showing the setup of his machines, and certainly the installation of a dust extraction system to protect not only his own health but as others have said his tv.

Tommy like many of woodworkers may have dreamt of having his own workshop, but i think that powers that be told him what he was having in it.

The sad thing is, like Ian's, they had Philly and his workshop on film, but never used it. That would have been a much better finish to the series.

Regards

Woody

how much do you think that hydraulic system cost ? £5000 ?
Personally I think the cost of it could've went to a bigger (ground) floor area

Stevie

£5000 for the hydraulics
£3000 for plasma tv

you could have bought a lot of quality tools for that money.

as for that cd at the end that he played, it was'nt a recording of tommy doing any work, his tools weren't pluged in.

or even out that money towards a decent presenter, that boy alan that helps TW at times.

Forgive me if im wrong but those hydrolicks couldn't hold a timber store as i saw it they where only good for a clamping area that you could get out of the way . The comment was made as it was shown "thats 10 bags of old cement , 20 bags of the new smaller bags "
Thats not alot !

Back