The Turning Quest 2012

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
andersonec":g2okrgb0 said:
Chas,
.Realise you are a busy chap but as a learner I wonder if you have the time to explain how you do the lid after the box? ......Andy

Basically as seen in this old WIP Andy.

Obviously in the case of the above thin (laminated) lid more use was made of Cole jaws and hot melt to hold it through the stages.
I don't do jamb chucks for the bulk of my stuff as they take longer and need more faffing about than using jaws or hot melt.

The boxes are likewise held either on Cole Jaws or large stepped Plywood Jaws to clean up the bases.

PIcs in a few mins, I'll go up the shed.
DSCN3646 (Large).JPG
DSCN3647 (Large).JPG

I swap the buttons/spacers/bolts to suit the task in hand, the above was the setup to do the underside of the mushroom.

Attachments

• DSCN3646 (Large).JPG
    DSCN3646 (Large).JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 829
  • DSCN3647 (Large).JPG
    DSCN3647 (Large).JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 830
Thanks Chas,

I see another recent thread on making those jaws, guess I am going to indulge and see what turns up...........pun intended.

Andy

CHJ":2i4onu5y said:
This one may have to have a change of lid, the Yew rim is rather brash at the moment and the light angles make the Ash in the lid look rather dark. May just wait a while and see if the Yew darkens with light exposure or until an obvious colour match presents itself for a new lid.

Yew, Ash & Walnut 160mm diam.

Chas,

Why don't you just change the handle in the top to a piece of Yew, that way it would link the lid to the base.

Andy

andersonec":16lnzvj6 said:
Thanks Chas,
I see another recent thread on making those jaws, guess I am going to indulge and see what turns up...........pun intended.
Andy
With Cole jaws it is critical that the holes are accurately drilled on the respective PCD's.

Easy for a machine shop but quite difficult to do with consistency in a home workshop without dividing heads etc. for alignment.

I have a home made set that I made but the very small errors I introduced are enough to cause me frustration when used with simple buttons and certain locations and are now relegated to the odd occasion I need something different and I turn up a set of sacrificial jaw blanks fitted to them to ensure they run perfectly true.

It might be just me but I get frustrated with anything that does not run true with ease and a need to fiddle.
Frustration convinced me to spend the pocket money in the end.

An alternate to the Cole Jaw cost if your chuck model has wood jaw plate accessories and you have access to some good quality Ply off-cuts are some wood jaws, the reciprocal of the ones shown above.

And of course a big bonus for any Cole jaw setup or its equivalent is a 125mm chuck if you can run to one, the increased jaw travel makes the world of difference to ease of use.

andersonec":2q8cwl7j said:
Chas,

Why don't you just change the handle in the top to a piece of Yew, that way it would link the lid to the base.

Andy
Good point, but that one went walkies some months ago 'as is'; in all honesty the contrasts/mis-match were far more pronounced in the photo' than in normal view.

Another experiment in construction.
DSCN3653.JPG
DSCN3656.JPG
DSCN3655.JPG

Ash, Oak & Walnut 135mm dia.

Attachments

• DSCN3653.JPG
    DSCN3653.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 864
  • DSCN3656.JPG
    DSCN3656.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 863
  • DSCN3655.JPG
    DSCN3655.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 863
woodyturner":2q6rlro7 said:
I do like your boxes very nice
Thank you woody, I enjoy doing them and trying out slightly differing methods of assembly/machining.

nev":1k1ddabg said:
....May I ask what glue you use for your creations? - it obviously works well!

I use Cascamite Nev, does need care in storage to keep moisture away from it, I decant powder into smaller airtight jars to aid this and at my rate of usage I don't get problems.

Needs care in mixing to get max strength, I use 3.5 to 1 measured with a level spoon for the small mixes I need, it sets rigid and joints don't creep like they can with PVA. .
Wood does need to be 8% moisture or below for small segments* and wait a day or so before machining for safety according to the specs. but I've never had one let go after 12hrs when in a hurry.

Joints are as sawn or if sanded no finer than 80 grit, wrung together and clamped.

*12 or more segments moving a fraction of a degree soon add up.

Results of being allowed a couple of hours in the shed this afternoon.
DSCN3657.JPG
DSCN3659.JPG

Walnut & Ash 105mm dia.

Attachments

• DSCN3657.JPG
    DSCN3657.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 775
  • DSCN3659.JPG
    DSCN3659.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 778
A Bowl of Bits,
DSCN3664.JPG
DSCN3663.JPG

Walnut & Beech 130mm dia.

Attachments

• DSCN3664.JPG
    DSCN3664.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 745
  • DSCN3663.JPG
    DSCN3663.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 742
Thanks for the comments guys, all feedback is welcome.
Don't know how much longer I will be putting up any output, most only seems to engender a 'look see' interest.

Only been showing anything with at least a subtle difference in shape or design recently and judging by the results of the local Village Xmas Market today looks like the next few months will be aimed at meeting requests for much of the same, worked around the winter holiday season commitments.

Personally I would miss them if you stopped posting images of your prodigious output. As a novice turner, being able to look at other people's work ( even if it is in a different stratosphere to mine) is always of great interest.. I am sure there a lot of people like me who are not members of clubs and who are solitary turners and who largely rely on internet content for education and inspiration. Keep posting !!

Robert

DSCN3673.JPG
DSCN3674.JPG

Ash,Oak & Walnut. 140mm dia.

Attachments

• DSCN3673.JPG
    DSCN3673.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 641
  • DSCN3674.JPG
    DSCN3674.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 640
Back