The tool that shoved me down the slope

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I came across some old pictures today that reminded me I have been a galoot for 3 years this week!

Here's the story.

Good read, Roger. And thanks for the URL - an entirely new forum to indulge my galootish tendencies :).

PS: Just noticed the newest member there is a certain 'Alf'. Hmmm? :)

Roger,

Thanks for the story. I must say for a galoot of only three years, you have come along very quickly! Yoiu must be a quick study.

Good story, Roger. And a SWMBO to gloat about too. :D I hadn't realised you'd only been galootin' for 3 years; it doesn't show! :wink:

Pete, s'funny, the newest member I see is a "PeteW". How odd... :?

Cheers, Alf

It was pretty amazing to me how much has happened in the last three years. I've been attempting to take up woodworking for much longer but life kept interrupting. :D

Indeed the internet has accellerated things greatly. I've spent that time learning about tools, how to fettle them and how to use them but I've done very little in the way of woodworking projects. Now I feel I have reached a point where the slope has become much less steep and slippery.

This weekend I'm going to sort out a working kit and pack all the "extras" away. This is kind of scary, I may actually find out how many planes I have and I'm not sure I want to know. :lol:

Hopefully, the next three years will see my workbench finished, my shop somewhat organized and :shock: maybe even some finished projects!

Roger,
Go for it Man! Finished projects are just the thing to spur you on (to the next purchase!! :lol: )
all the best,
Philly :D

Roger,

For what seemed a very long time, I was buying tools and fettling them, fixing up things in my workshop and generally not completing many projects. Slowly the balance changed and then I found myself making one thing after another without (the need for) a new tool or any improvement in my workshop. I then realised that I was wasting time because I had learnt to live with various inefficiencies in my set-up and that life really would be better with a new plane, spokeshave or whatever.

These days I figure on completing two projects and then doing one workshop project or making one (big) tool purchase as a way of seeking some work/play balance.

Now, three quarters of the way through a second rocking chair I have decided on the next tool - actually I have ordered it.. (two projects so it's OK isn't it?)

I'll be the sacrificial lamb this time then... :roll:

Go on, Chris - what is it?

NeilCFD

OK - just a small hint
handlefull_sized.jpg

Chris

Looks nice. Could you tell us a bit about it as I have never seen one and have no idea who makes it or what size/type of plane it is.
Only thing I have seen like that are Holtey planes.

Cheers

Tony

Tony,

It is a Sauer and Steiner 16 1/2 inch panel plane with Blackwood infill, just like the one for Wiley Horne as illustrated here. http://www.sauerandsteiner.com/news4.htm

I corresponded with Wiley and a few other folk before settling on this configuration. It is a very heavy plane with a very tight mouth ( I am going for a 5 thou mouth) and it is going to serve for finishing panels - as the name suggests but also as a medium jointer/cum smoother for lots of things. It will have a 47 1/2 degree bedding angle which seems to offer a good compromise between common and York pitch and according to Wiley and others will deal with quilted maple etc so it should cope with most of the woods I use.

I can't blame anyone for this - apart perhaps from Kingshott but that's a bit unfair since he's no longer around! In any case, since seeing his panel planes I have always wanted one and having foregone a holiday this year, I am going to get one!

WOW!!!! Worth missing a holiday for. (and I thought LN were expensive :lol: )

Can't wait for the review :wink:

Cheers

Tony

If that puppy doesn't get you in freefall headin downslope.......I donno what will...

Looks a cracker Chris.. NOT that i'm jealous...
Nuh uh......not meeee....

<mutterin bout jammie wee #@&%$

Now that is treating yourself! Can you tell me just what part(s) of the rocking chairs this is for :wink: ?
Congratulations on a true luxurious tool!

Back