The State Of Furniture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been asked to re-hang the doors etc on this £1,500 unit and “ tighten the top, it’s a bit wobbly”
EB1848CF-DC16-4D10-876F-1217B95F6016.jpeg

Don’t know quite how to tell them it’s been held on with a double-sided tape!

D8534823-7595-495D-AF3F-744EA3E372C6.jpeg

I’ve been asked to re-hang the doors etc on this £1,500 unit and “ tighten the top, it’s a bit wobbly”
View attachment 112574

Don’t know quite how to tell them it’s been held on with a double-sided tape!

View attachment 112575
That just looks horribly shonky. The gap on the bottom right is quite something. Tell me the wheels are attached to a frame and not just the MDF bottom?

It’s substandard stuff like this that makes me boil…

whattt, that thing is trash. My OP justified right there.
It's a generally considered fundamental of science that a single piece of evidence doesn't support an entire theory.
I had some 19th century mahogany dining chairs which were in parts strips of mahogany glued to knotty pine, they'd been wobbly for the last 40 years at least, partially due to the tenons which were nowhere near the shape of the mortices, but that doesn't make all antique furniture rubbish.
Similarly I'd not say that all people from Leeds can't construct a convincing argument, based on the above.

It's a generally considered fundamental of science that a single piece of evidence doesn't support an entire theory.
I had some 19th century mahogany dining chairs which were in parts strips of mahogany glued to knotty pine, they'd been wobbly for the last 40 years at least, partially due to the tenons which were nowhere near the shape of the mortices, but that doesn't make all antique furniture rubbish.
Similarly I'd not say that all people from Leeds can't construct a convincing argument, based on the above.
Ive seen more than enough to justify my opinion.

Have had no problems with Ikea chests of drawers ,still look great after 8 years and work as they should with no sagging or binding, i know they are not solid wood and truth be told I would have struggled to afford well made solid wood(Decent Quality) at the time and lacked the skills to make them (probably still lack them nowo_O). The Billy Boy bookcase is apparently the largest selling furniture item ever .
I fully agree with you when some places sell high price Tat describing it as quality solid wood ,hand made furniture, all that achieves in my opinion is to put people off from buying Hand made stuff and almost forcing their hand to go to the likes of Ikea where consistent quality at very fair prices is on display by the acre. You have to remember there are a lot of people out there that do not have the skills / budget to make their own or buy bespoke .

Back