The start of a Cherry bowl NOW FINISHED

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyturner

Established Member
Reaction score
This is the last of my large logs it start of 18" x 7" but it had quite a large crack right across it as you can seen so it ended up being 12" x 6" and some of the crack is still there and filled in I had to make it with a spigot instead of a dovetail just to make sure it didn't split right in half I will finish it in the morning

Made with my new Versa chuck it is a very good bit of equipment and I would recommend it

Attachments

• DSCF0917 (2).JPG
    DSCF0917 (2).JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 1,224
  • DSCF0916 (2).JPG
    DSCF0916 (2).JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 1,224
  • DSCF0913 (2).JPG
    DSCF0913 (2).JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 1,224
  • DSCF0911 (2).JPG
    DSCF0911 (2).JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 1,224
Hi Woody

That looks the business. Was the burr initially held via a screw chuck? Also did you feed the crack with Cyanoacrylate?

Would, a large pinchuck 25mm X 75mm work for the initial external shaping?

Finally, you may be pleased to know I placed an order for the Maxi yesterday, delivery is late Feb. Those nice men in China are putting it together.

Kind regards

Aden30mm

Hi Aden30mm

It is to big to hold with a screw or pin chuck so I flattened out the middle on the bark side and fixed a faceplate ring to do the outside the crack was a very old one and it was full so I poured a load of CA glue in it

Good to hear you have ordered your new lathe if you get fed up waiting for it feel free to pop over and use mine

I went out this morning and finished the bowl and removed the spigot the dark line through the middle is were the cplit was it has had one coat of teak oil so far enjoy

Attachments

• DSCF0933 (2).JPG
    DSCF0933 (2).JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,046
  • DSCF0932 (2).JPG
    DSCF0932 (2).JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,045
  • DSCF0931 (2).JPG
    DSCF0931 (2).JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,045
  • DSCF0930 (2).JPG
    DSCF0930 (2).JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 1,045
thats beautifull woody such a nice finish hope its there for me to see when i come up to you.
regards
Bill

I really like the bowl, especially the finish... but I think the split detracts from the bowl slightly, but that's just me :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

speeder1987":1e3id45t said:
I really like the bowl, especially the finish... but I think the split detracts from the bowl slightly, but that's just me :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Yes but there wasn't anything I could do about that only make 6" bowls LOL :lol: :lol:

That is one Fine lump of Finished timber Woody well made beautifull =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
regards
Bill

Cracking turning Woody. I like the split, it shows to me that you overcame a potential show stopper of a defect and turned something that has inherent beauty (well to me).

Kind regards

Aden30mm

Back