The slope widens - A German Smoother

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something that's always confused me about those planes is how are you supposed to use the bloody things?

The handle suggests a pull stroke, but then where do you put your left hand (assuming you're not a caggy hander!)

Using a push stroke you could hold it with the left hand on the handle (although it doesn't look very comfortable), but then again where do you now put your right hand?

:? :?

Push stroke. Right hand pushes, left hand guides / presses down. Rob's plane even has the extra comfy curvy bit to fit between index finger and thumb. Like this:

images

Being a "caggy hander" myself... :mrgreen: I find it extremely comfortable to use.

In fact...last night I was marvelling at how comfortable and simple the design was.

I don't know about others...but having been brought up with British and American designs...the Continental designs appear strange and unfamiliar to me. Coupled with their scarcity in the UK, I guess you never really get to try them out.

I do like to broaden my knowledge however, and I anticipate a brother or sister will be joining Helwald in the not too distant future!

Jim

Corneel":ld6o5df2 said:
...My Ulmia reform hobel has a rather thin blade, but it works perfectly. Well until I damaged the LV insert....
(homer) #-o There I was, wondering what sort of Canadian insert was fitted to a German plane, when the penny dropped...

Cheers, Vann :oops:

Vann":3ki1kj84 said:
Corneel":3ki1kj84 said:
...My Ulmia reform hobel has a rather thin blade, but it works perfectly. Well until I damaged the LV insert....
(homer) #-o There I was, wondering what sort of Canadian insert was fitted to a German plane, when the penny dropped...

Cheers, Vann :oops:

:)

We cal it "pokhout" in Dutch. Much easier to write.
I have a few bits of pokhout. I comes from a fellow who has jazzcafe and bought a wooden floor from an old factory. Something like 100 m2 of pokhout! It was a total bear to put that floor into the building. He has been walking behind the floor sanding machine for several days and spent a forune on 40 grit sandpaper rolls to get it somwhat flat. Anyway, I got some of his cut offs, mostly short stuff.

Latest posts

Back