The scale of the Universe.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, but what's outside of the white circle which is our universe?

Cheers

Karl

According to the experts Karl, nothing! The universe IS the existance.
Different size to my understanding though.

Roy.

Digit":3ulpvzxf said:

Roy.

Not so...depends on which expert. According to the so-called anthropic principle, there are perhaps an infinite number of universes, each with its own set of physical laws. And one of them happens to be ours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse

Might be so Rog, as you say, depends on who you ask.
But what ever, we can never see them.

Roy.

Fabulous power-of-ten animation. I knew strings (if they exist) are on the small side, but that is the first time I *think* I have an idea just how small!

And as for "Whats outside the universe?", an analogous question might be "What's north of the north pole?". Not just a matter of semantics, but our brains' general inability to think in 3 dimensions over the distances (around 0.01mm to several kilometres) we exist in.

Adam

RogerS":3lpun0j6 said:
Digit":3lpun0j6 said:

Roy.

Not so...depends on which expert. According to the so-called anthropic principle, there are perhaps an infinite number of universes, each with its own set of physical laws. And one of them happens to be ours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse

:lol: :lol: :lol: I reckon that is just as obscure as the God theory!!!

The problem is, our universe has only existed for 13.75 billion years, and we are limited to what we can see by the speed of light. We will never really know what's "out there".

Such a fascinating subject though.

I think the main hurdle in understanding the universe is its sheer vastness. We can't really handle the concept of things being so far away and so .... massive.

This Supernova cloud, for example, is 23 lightyears across and is expanding at a speed of 11 million miles an hour! AND the image in this picture is 400 years old. They're just numbers I can't even begin to fit into any sort of frame of reference.
505407main_ornament_670.jpg

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/hubbl ... ament.html

My head hurts just thinking about it! :shock:

Try this then Bryn, subject as pointed out earlier as to who you ask, the universe is expanding, thus there must logically have been a time zero. Then the Big Bang.
To date the maximum we can observe in any direction is 15 billion light yrs, from that the BB must have ocurred 15 billion lyrs ago. In that period the universe will have continued to expand but we will not see any of it.
As no other universes are visible beyond that distance they must have formed so far out that their light has yet to reach us.
Have fun!

Roy.

Deep!

In a way, it's like ripples on a pond, I guess. Chuck a handful of gravel into a still pond. The ripples from each lump travel outwards until they cross those of the nearest lump. The ripples can be seen as light travelling outwards.

So our universe could be expanding into other universes?

If they exist, yes.
In the 15 billion yrs since the BB the universe will have continued to expand and is now estimated to be 44 to 48 billion light years across.
Next week? Who knows?

Roy.

Back