The Salvager on H+L

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Point taken Dave :D
Its easy to slag off other peoples work though isnt it?

Mr Daniels never has tried to pass himself off as a Krenov/Peter's type master craftsmen. Its important to recognise that he isnt in the business of producing expensive & exclusive trophy piece's for wealthy clients; his furniture making efforts are in the wider context of living a simpler sustainable lifestyle, with elements such as natural energy, grow your own food etc as part of a bigger picture. To judge him by those iconic "master craftsmen" standard's is just crass :roll: . Rather his succes is in getting couch potatos to get up and "dare" to break out of the "must spend lotsa disposable income to acqiure a look" mentality, and instead to have a go at creating something uniquely theirs. Some people like the neo primitive/post industrial rustic style. I mean personally I find a lot of modern furniture to be actually samey derivative tedious lacking any ideas character or inspiration etc?? and some other people feel the same. Personally I enjoy his humour and unconventional uses of unusual materials, and I accept it isnt to everyone's taste. I like that he's willing to take risks, improvise, and make use of whats there. I always believed that you can learn from any crafts person whatever they do. And I have found Mr Daniels to be aproachable, helpful friendly and polite as well. :D
Cheers Jonathan :)

I have to admit that whilst most of the end pieces are not to my person taste, I enjoy the show immensely. It doesn't make me want to go and spend £300 at the local scrapyard in order to build a table the size of the Arc Royal out of welded together milkbottle tops, but I still find it rather good fun to watch.

And at the end of the day, isn't that one of the main goals of a tv show?

V.

I must admit that this program has grown on me. When I first saw it I didn't like it at all, but now it seems to hold a strange attraction. Not sure why really, as I don't like most of what he produces, but I have to admire his ingenuity and lateral thinking.

GAry

Who came first Rico or that Gavin bloke who is on H & L at the moment and is referred to as a ( and I use the term loosely) master craftsmen? I have just watched him put together a 3 foot square table and it was an abomination. I fully appreciate previous sentiments about it being entertainment, but it does give the impression to some that it is acceptable to make things that are not square or looks shabby.

Gavin is an electrician. He and another bloke, a chippy who's name evades me at present had a program called Big boys, or Boys are us, or something. FWIW.

Are we talking about "Boyz in the Wood" here :?:

I didn't like that one either :wink:

Having said that I must admit there is a strange fascination about The Salvager, as others have said it defies definition, and I still say that no right minded person would want his 'end product' in their living room :lol:

I like watching Rico - as others have said,I wouldn't particularly want some of his furniture in my living room;but I enjoy the simple fact is that it is something a bit different.
And I think his big trike looks fun 8)

Andrew

I would watch The Salvager more than The Boyz in the wood ( that was very poor imo)

I dont like what Rico makes but watching would me more interest than the Boyz :shock: ( can some tell me how they got that :? ).

They probably got Boyz in the Wood because Craig Philips is dyslexic and said he would do it for 1,000P instead of £1,000 lmao
His 'oppo' Rod Butler knows much more about woodwork than the big brother winner.

Dewy":1k2mkjo5 said:
They probably got Boyz in the Wood because Craig Philips is dyslexic and said he would do it for 1,000P instead of £1,000 lmao
His 'oppo' Rod Butler knows much more about woodwork than the big brother winner.

I agree with about Rod Butler but was still a poor show :(

Back