The Salvager on H+L

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomaskennedy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

My god, what has H+L come to ??? :evil:

That program, in my opinion, is RUBBISH

The 'coffee table' made from some crappy bits of metal, some tin boxes and some concrete :roll:

Ugh...I hate it :x

What are your opinions?

Ta

Tom

Tom, i think that rubbish or some peoples rubbish is the whole idea. He builds his furniture??????? from rubbish.
As for H&L broadcasting the program, it must be a light hearted look/pi-s take of cabinet makers.

The think that makes me laugh is the rip off prices he has to pay for the rubbish.

Its about time we had a good british furniture/cabinet maker on H&L.

Regards

Woody

I've seen an oddment of this program and frankly it's rubbish (and I'm not talking about the stuff he's building from either!).

I've become a great of American Chopper, always looking out for the next time Paul Sr starts an argument with one of the workforce, especially Paul Jr.

Just wish they'd give some information about the engines and gearboxes they put in these things - lots of footage of metalbashing, but never any details about how many gears the bike has, what the pot size is, and how fast it can go etc.

Andrew

Seen this show blimey talk about barrel scraping and the bottom of . Seen better projects on blue peter :lol: :lol: .

At least he keeps the guard on his table saw in place when cutting :shock:

HandyMac, those choppers always look so damn uncomfortable to me. Its the arms above your head backside on the floor and hardtail setup that means they dont need to know how fast they are going or what gear they are in, just keeping them upright or getting them to turn in a circle with a radius less than 1/4 mile takes all their concentration :lol:

Steve

Tom

I caught a bit of this the other day. It was pretty dire but have to admit found myself watching it through until the end. Why can't H&L bring back the good 'ole days of woodworking shows - I promise we won't complain anymore!

Woody - that was the funniest thing about it - he really did get ripped off! He honestly seemed to pay more for some old crappy scaffolding boards than I pay for KD American Oak!! And he makes out he's got a right bargain.

The only thing I have got from the show is his idea of using a blackboard for sketching - I might nick that idea.

Cheers

Gidon

I could only bear it for half of one episode, but the one redeeming feature is that at least he isn't murdering nice pieces of timber - unlike Boyz in the Wood :evil:

NeilCFD

Biggest pile of poo I have seen for some time.

He spends ages and lots of money making something that you wouldn't want to inflict on your worst enemy, whereas for the same cost and effort he could build something nice from proper wood.

Only watched it once mind - I got too depressed about missing Norm to watch any more!

I can only assume that they made this program because the guy is a "character", not because it has any merit as a woodworking programme, or indeed because anyone would want to emulate him - surely????? :shock:

Reference to The Salvager have been made on the Discovery H&L forum by his son.
H&L programme schedules
Rico was mates with Ricky Tate (shedheads) and they went to the audition for shedheads together.
Rico wasn't considered suitable for shedheads but the production company decided to use him for his own series because of his love of using salvaged materials.

I once watched one of his progs. I could not believe it when his 'welding expert' used oxyacetylene goggles while MAG welding (Electric Arc Welding). Not only stupid but also dangerous.

Tom,

No, didn't like it :cry: Have only seen two of the early ones and maybe three of the ones when he's in France. Like people have said, you need a total labotomy to even consider having something he makes in your house :) :) ](*,)

The moral is admirable- the execution is excrable.

Ike

albatross mentions the use of oxy acetylene goggles. Years ago one could get filters for the use of electric arc welding to fit the goggles. Also in my day they where talking of replacing MIG & TIG, (metal inert gas, & tungsten inert gas) with MAG & TAG, which meant the same as MIG & TIG, electric arc welding is also known as stick welding, which is totally different.

Back