THE RESULTS , 2011 September Vase Challenge !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
OK People I have the results from Barry our Judge for September ( Many Thanks again Barry )

Barry started with this comment " Great entries this month, a real headache to sort out, congratulations to all entrants, here goes "

1st and 5 Points gus3049, Judges comments " nice work, I really like everything about it ,form, finish, piercing, carving, excellent "

2nd and 4 points dennisk , Judges comments " once again excellent entry, the form, finish & beautiful timber. well done "

3rd and 3 Points woodspoiler , Judges comments " i do like the idea of this piece,very well done, not to sure about the black walnut foot but excellent work once again "

4th Highly Commended and 1 point nev , Judges comments " nice gentle form, interesting piece of timber well finished, very good "

5th Highly Commended and 1 point silverbirch , Judges comments " " like this one, unusual colouring, good form & finish excellent "

All other entrants also get 1 point

A personal well done from myself ( Blister ) , I think this month the quality of entry's has been excellent and would like to thank everyone for supporting the Challenge as without you no Challenge would exists =D>

I just fell off me chair.

Allen's PM rather took me by surprise as I hadn't seen the results. Dead chuffed is what I am.

As said, the entries this month were of a high standard so it makes the win particularly satisfying.

That fast scoreboard update was a bit impressive too :D

simply stunning piece Gordon - I really would have loved to see a WIP on that as I am still struggling to come to terms with exactly what you did, let alone how you did it!

excellent

and the rest of the winers were great too!

I ended up with a lot of scrap wood on this one but, hey ho, it's a learning process and the hollowmaster is good fun when you get the edge angle 'right' and hard work when you don't.

jumps":36z1uvny said:
simply stunning piece Gordon - I really would have loved to see a WIP on that as I am still struggling to come to terms with exactly what you did, let alone how you did it!

excellent

and the rest of the winers were great too!

I ended up with a lot of scrap wood on this one but, hey ho, it's a learning process and the hollowmaster is good fun when you get the edge angle 'right' and hard work when you don't.

I'm not sure I can remember how I did it :shock: Thanks for the comment. Once the turning was done - which had to be dead accurate because it would all be revealed after piercing - all the texture, piercing and carving was done with the Dremel metal burrs in the airtool. Once you get up to 24000rpm, the burrs really cut properly, I always had trouble with catching and jumping in the Dremel.

I blame it all on Phil Streeting and by default Colin the despoiler of wooden objects. It set me mind on a different path :D

well done everyone =D> ( read with gritted teeth and a fixed smile ) especially the top three that kept me off the podium :evil:
some lovely pieces there - and the one i thought would be this months winner not even in the top five!
who'd want to be a judge eh? (thank you Barry =D> )
may i suggest that 4th gets 2 points next year :D
only 3 more tries this year for a coveted plaque, I'm moving into the shed :wink:and not coming out till christmas :!:

nev":15wsr2l6 said:
well done everyone =D> ( read with gritted teeth and a fixed smile ) especially the top three that kept me off the podium :evil:
some lovely pieces there - and the one i thought would be this months winner not even in the top five!
who'd want to be a judge eh? (thank you Barry =D> )
may i suggest that 4th gets 2 points next year :D
only 3 more tries this year for a coveted plaque, I'm moving into the shed :wink:and not coming out till christmas :!:
Sorry Nev - no REALLY :twisted:

I thought yours was a lovely piece of wood, it looked almost like water. As you say though, who'd be the judge?
myturn":15wsr2l6 said:
Well done Gordon, you were up against some stiff competition :mrgreen:

=D>
Thank you.

Daven":15wsr2l6 said:
Well done Gordon well deserved :)

Dave

Appreciate the comment. I suppose I now have to put the thinking cap on and see if I can't knock that Wood Spoiler bloke off the top. Tough challenge but someone has to try.

I'm just delighted that I'm going to get more than the expected twelve points.

Yeah, CONGRATS GORDON, very well deserved and quite obvious to me as soon as I saw your piece.
Very very nice and impressive.

The scoreboard still names me in first place though ;)

monkeybiter":3hlg4bjj said:
Yeah, CONGRATS GORDON, very well deserved and quite obvious to me as soon as I saw your piece.
Very very nice and impressive.

The scoreboard still names me in first place though ;)
Thanks Mike

Just got in and seen the results

I am really chuffed for Gordon who has been a creative powerhouse and stalwart of this competition and the site in general - most deserving of a first place

Dennis's looked fantastic and I am pleased and honoured to feature in this line up

Well done to all

j1mbr0wn":jxrkdvuu said:
Beautiful piece of work Gordon, well done.

and to everyone else, lots of really nice vases.

Jim
Thanks Jim, glad to see you are joining in. As Colin says, several of us have only been turning for just over a year now and this competition and the forum in general has been instrumental in driving us on.

Jonzjob":jxrkdvuu said:
Nice one Gordon! It is the one that I would have chosen too, a real winner!

This really is a good challenge and is showing some exceptional results. Well done to all. I'm just sorry that I missed the cutoff by my bad memory :oops: :oops: :oops:

Thank you too John. This age thing gets to us all!! I wish I'd started turning a long time ago instead of in my dotage.

Wood spoiler":jxrkdvuu said:
Just got in and seen the results

I am really chuffed for Gordon who has been a creative powerhouse and stalwart of this competition and the site in general - most deserving of a first place

Dennis's looked fantastic and I am pleased and honoured to feature in this line up

Well done to all

Good grief Colin :oops: Steady on. I'm just this guy y'know! I am enjoying my turning more and more now although strangely, I'm doing less turning now and am spending much more time with the wood off the lathe.

Hopefully we can push you all the way to the end of the year.

Wow! I just got home from another self employed carpenter type day and first things first , I go to the old laptop and check for results. Well , the blonde hears the yells and wonders what is going on. I got in the top three, I says and it was worth a kiss on the cheek. Cool, thanks to everyone involved and thanks to one of the weed trees on the prairies, good old acer negundo(box elder). It is fun to turn and can be outstanding in texture and color and grain, and damn its cheap!

Well done Gordon !!!

I didn't get disqualified !!!

loz":2kd0isq9 said:
Well done Gordon !!!

Just to clarify Loz

As only 2 photos were uploaded and no photo with flowers ( All asked for by the Judge ) To KEEP to the rules and be fair to everyone else who did comply your entry was outside the requirements and duly awarded 1 point

Back