The replacement for Car boot sales...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scouse

Established Member
Reaction score
I had to resort to sitting in a Methodist church hall for a fix of rust this week, at a charity auction. 5 hours of boot fair land fill punctuated by a Burgess bandsaw, Parkinson vice and the lot I went for, a set of 20 Addis gouges, poor condition, but not beyond repair. Never been to an auction before, and it was a great people watching experience, but the gouges eluded me sadly.

On the plus side, I did end up with an early eighties Pioneer separates system for £9! Not exactly a hand tool but, with the exception of the tape deck which has been sent for a minor repair, in full working order with leads. Sounds awesome; ear bleedingly loud, not been above 3 on the volume and it was too loud for a semi detached!

The sound has a different quality, I guess because it's all analogue, no compression.

002-15.jpg

Let's connect 80's stereo with woodworking.
In the 80's or could be late 70's I built a pair of HiFi Answers Tranmission line speakers. Took 200 screws in all. One of my first woodwork projects.

They still sound great all though they're confined to the workshop. I've connected a Quad 303 and I made up a lead and play from a portable cd/mp3 player or from an old PC.

A must for every workshop, something to drown out the circular saw.

You put a 303 in your WORKSHOP!!!!! :shock: :shock:

How very dare you!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink:

Actually....there are some major bargains around the bootfairs in retro hi-fi and they seem to be coming back in vogue.

I recently chanced upon some NAD kit and was toying with the idea of putting it in the shop but ended up selling it to a dealer for a huge profit....so that's gone now.... :cry:

I was also going to make a bench using two Lowther cabs....

lowther2.jpg

...which I picked up for a fiver a pair, in need of new foam.... but again....greed got the better of me and they went to some audiophile in Brighton for a bit of a profit.... :mrgreen:

Maybe we should start a thread...."What sound system do you have in your workshop?"

I bet we would have some great stories! 8)

Cheers

Jim

With a pair of those Lowthers there would not be much room in the workshop for much else?

Though that probably explains why mine is so crowded with pairs of Acousta, Leak Sandwichs and Quad Electrostatics residing in there!
The Lowthers give a fantastic sound - pity they are not modern room sized friendly?

Rod

Yes a Quad303 in the workshop. It was a proper 43mm thick cabin so fairly dry. Any ways my wife likes those small compact stereos so I had no chance a getting it into the front room especially with the 33, the technics deck and the 3ft high tranmission lines.

So I'm not the only one that get quiet(?) moments in the workshop listening to my favorite music at "scare the neigbours" volume.

Until a couple of weeks ago (sold house to get rid of mortgage) I had a 4x3m workshop at the end of our garden. That's about 80ft from the house with no other houses any closer. Didn't disturb any one.

Great for playing anything you want especially 70/80's progressive rock that none of my family understand.

A friend buit a pair of Lowther horns sounded great for classical but a little boxy with rock.

Great times eh!!

Harbo":13cnp4t4 said:
Though that probably explains why mine is so crowded with pairs of Acousta, Leak Sandwichs and Quad Electrostatics residing in there!
The Lowthers give a fantastic sound - pity they are not modern room sized friendly?

Rod

Remember the Leak add with someone standing on a Sandwich cone? Yeah I've done that. I worked with Don Barlow, the sandwich inventor, to develop the first of the Rank Organisation Leak sandwiches. My boss at the time was John Collinson who had worked on the development of the Quad Electrostatics. Great fellas and great memories. thanks.
xy

Back