The Raindrops and Pyjamas sideboard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr T

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Those of you that attended the Celebration of Craftsmanship and Design in Cheltenham will have seen our sideboard made in cooperation with the marquetarian Christine Meyer-Eaglestone.

sideview500.jpg

sideboardleftcorner600.jpg

I thought some may like to see some of the making process.

Christine trained in fine art and came to marquetry after attending a cabinet making course at leeds College of Art. All her work is completely hand cut. Unfortunately she did not take any pictures of the making process. However I know that she layed out the panels on a 3.6 long sheet. She started by creating the ebony and maple stripes, working from a reference edge at the top of the sheet. It was important to lay out the panels as one so that the stripes were aligned on assembly. After laying the strips she cut in the concentric circles using various templates, I know some of the circles are CD sized. On completion the whole lot was stuck to 18mm MRMDF using cascamite. A black stained poplar was used as a balancer.

The panels were brought to our workshop. We cut them into sections along preset lines. There was much measuring and checking for square before thcut was made. I started by cutting a reference edge along one of Christine's preset lines. I used a false bed on the sliding table, the edge of the bed lining up with the line of the saw cut. The preset line on the panel could be lined up with the edge of the bed as a reference.

IMG_3488600.jpg

Once a refence edge has been created the other dimensions could be cut. The inside edges of the front and back "L" pieces had to be treated differently. We made up and L shaped template and used a bearing guided cutter on the router table to cut to shape.

IMG_3486600.jpg

After cutting to shape the mitre was created using the spindle moulder tilted to 45 degrees. SAgain the inside edges of the L pieces was different, I used a 45 degree cutter on the router table running against the L shaped template. I did not have large enough cutter so a small edge was left for cleaning up with a block plane.

IMG_3491600.jpg

The router could not get right into the corner of the L so this was cleaned up with a chisel.

All edges were biscuited for size 10.

I thought long and hard about gluing up, I would have prefered to do it in stages but decided in the end this was not possible. To aid fitting the mitres together I cut a chamfer on the edges of the biscuits.

IMG_3496600.jpg

IMG_3498600.jpg

After assembly the edges were given a 3.4 mm rebate to receive ebony stringing. The L's then went back to Christine for her to fit the stringing, clean up and arrange for finishing.

The drawers run in a veneered MDF carcase with an ebony veneered central divider which extends up to seperate the two L's. I arranged to construction of the carcase so that the maple veneered back panel and the oak veneered bottom were continues (ie not mdf edges showing).

IMG_3532600.jpg

The oak drawers have hand cut dovetails and cedar of Lebanon bottoms fitted to oak slips. They run on Blum runners with Tipon push to open (Sorry Rob!)

drawer600.jpg

The L's are attached to the carcase by bolts through the carcase sides into captive threads on the inside faces of the L's. A template was used to drill for the bolt and captive thread holes. The threads were fitted in over size holes. Initially the threads were glued in with a dab of Araldite on the ends just the fix them and seal the ends. The threads were positioned while gluing by locating them on the bolts through the template.

IMG_3530600.jpg

IMG_3531600.jpg

Once set the template was removed and the threads fixed fully using West System. This method allowed the threads to be glued without them being filled with glue.

When Christine brought the L's back from the finishers we were ready for assembly and were well pleased with the result!

The sideboard will also be shown at the NCFM [urlhttp://www.northernfurniture.org.uk/][/url] exhibition in Leyburn from 12th-23rd September and also on the NCFM stand at the Liverpool Design show http://www.liverpooldesignfestival.com/ 7th-9th October.

Everything seems to have a name nowadays, originally we thought of Circles and Stripes, but I favour Raindrops and Pyjamas!

Chris

I don't normally like Arty pieces, but I love this!

So the marquetry was all laid out on one giant sheet, and then you cut the circles etc to get the panels, does the black edge banding replace what you removed with the saw kerf and that's why they all still look right?

Are they all real woods, one of them is like black brown and white and looks like camouflage?

Hi Chems

Christine initially layed out the stripes on the board for all adjacent panels where the lines must run through, eg the two top panels and the smaller vertical panels that that form the ends of the top sections of the L, also the side and front panels. She cut into these preset cut lines of 5mm wide mahogany veneer to mark the edges of the panels. After that she then started setting in the circles, aligning the cut circle edges with the mahogany cutting strips. Not very well explained I hope you got it.

Some of the veneers are man made Itallian veneers. I think Christine gets them from Anglo Eden http://www.veneermerchant.co.uk/

Chris

[img]http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/mr-tpics/CHRISTRIBE-1311291000.jpg[/img]

Nice job Chris. I have to say that it's not to my personal taste, but it's been so immaculately made I'll let you off the drawers! :lol: :lol: - Rob

I must say I love the piece. Not a style I would normally gravitate to but this is fabulous. I like to go to one of the shows just to see it in person. Will it ultimately be sold? Sorry, but I won't be able to buy it. Just curious as to its life cycle.

Eoin

Love it Chris, similar to what has already been said above, I don't normally go for this kinda style but the attention to detail used is excellent. Top-man! I bet that was one scary glue-up though! :D :D Christine has done a great job there.

Have you done any more pieces in this vein, or is this a one off? Cheers _Dan

This is a really great sideboard! Very pleasing to the eye and it looks like it was worth all the effort to put together...
Original concept and I have to admit that it actually put a smile on my face when I first saw it. Also great to see someone posting pieces like this, free thinking design etc...

Love it - Exhibition stuff

Russ

Back