The 'Raffan' cut?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brilliant!
I reckon they should teach that in schools - might sort out some of the fat little baskets wandering around glued to some handheld electronic crapsville!
And they could dance the polka during breaktime ...

The real surprise was at the end, that he hadn't used it for 20 years! He didn't seem to have forgotten how though.
I specially liked the efficient use of a gouge as a toolrest - immediately to hand, and works like a gutter to get rid of the shavings.

music was something else , I think it was by the Tesco band .amazing how the helper changed feet without missing a beat .

Hello,

Those craftsmen in the video are Magyar (Hungarian), living in Erdély (Transylvania), as a minority. The music is traditional folk music from the region, played by this band:
http://www.kolomejka.com/index.html
This kind of foot powered lathe was in common and widespread use in Hungary and Erdély well into the 1930s (Erdély, and many other territories of the Kingdom of Hungary were lost after the first great war, in 1918-1920), and in rural areas of Erdély it is still in use, as the infrastructure (power grids) of Erdély in general, and especially of the counties where Székely/Magyar people forms the majority of the population in particular, is really poor.
The methods used by the turner are standard and traditional, and still taught in craft schools. In the Central European region German influence was very strong in all fields of woodcraft, from cabinetmaking to woodturning, as rulers of the region settled immigrant workers from Luxemburg, Saxony and other German territories to promote the local industry.

Have a nice day,

János

Hi Janos , nice to get a bit of the history of the region , it puts a new outlook on what them that were before us had to go through for to get a bit to eat , we on the other hand because of what they had to endure can now have this great trade as a means of a hobby for most of us ,and a means of earning a living for others .

Dear Eugene,

In fact, I turn wood and make cabinetwork for a living. Doing it as a hobby would remove a lot of stress from it, I know.
We, here in Europe are quite lucky: there has been no widespread war for sixty years, most of us have had access to at least elementary education for free, we have access to a well developed infrastructure, and deep poverty is not widespread. But in very many parts of our world, cottage industries and agrarian work still relies heavily on manpower, and foot operated lathes are used to produce everyday wares. In Burma, Kambodia and Thailand the craftsmen still use bow and treadle lathes to turn and polish Oriental lacquer objects, in India they produce kitchen utensils and small jewellery and decorative items for the domestic market and for export, for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXM4SidP1zA

In fact, many of the "cheap wares" on offer in our stores are still produced in very archaic and traditional ways, with hand work and manpower. It is not a bad thing... but we should know about that. We take too many things for granted...

Have a nice day,

János

Hello,

In Asia, the rulers of past ages often took skilled craftsmen as loot, sack or tribute, such was the esteem of human skill and knowledge. Ah, those uncultured barbarians. :wink:

Have a nice day,

János

Latest posts

Back