The Pros and Cons of looking out for each other

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
There I was, after dinner, sitting in my chair and dozing off, when the doorbell rang.

It was my mate Charlie. We talk every day and see each other 2 or 3 times a week, under normal circumstances. I was surprised and a tad annoyed to see him at my window, given that I thought I had made it clear I was self-isolating.

Come round the back.

Apparently he was concerned. He'd tried to ring, got no answer, emailed, got no answer, and was worried I'd dropped dead in the workshop. I'd simply turned off my phone because I was filming and hadn't remembered to turn it back on again.

We kept our distance, he helped himself to a beer , we chatted for a bit and he went home. It was nice to see another human being, and I was grateful for his concern, but I wish I'd switched my phone back on.

If he helped himself to a beer, he came in. If he came in, you've got to clean every surface he touched. Next time, pass a beer out of the window on a pole.......

Yes he is.
I have another friend, far away. He is poorly with something. It may be C19 or it may be something else, but he is not feeling great. I told him to keep his pecker up. Apparently it doesn't mean the same thing in the USA...

MikeG.":1ga668jg said:
If he helped himself to a beer, he came in. If he came in, you've got to clean every surface he touched. Next time, pass a beer out of the window on a pole.......

Good idea, Mike.
I did wipe down the door handles and I washed my hands, but I'm not sure I even know exactly what he touched. Beer bottle, opener, sofa, doorknobs. I bet the opener is still on the kitchen worktop, I've not looked. He put the bottle in the bin himself.

I'm off to find the opener and deal with it.

S

It's nice isn't it Steve. I went to the supermarket earlier but before leaving rang 4 other people to see is they needed anything. My neighbour knocked on the door earlier to offer 'rewards' in the weeks to come while I'm off work in return for helping him out whilst keeping the 2m distance etc. I text a long lost friend last night asking if he was alright aswell as his dad and auntie who were there for me when I needed them. Theres gonna be alot of group hugs, hand shakes and boozy nights together once this cwap blows over !

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

While there is a lot of focus on the bad behaviour such as hoarding and flouting the rules there are many examples of people looking out for others and kindness.

Full marks to your friend Steve.

We ran a virtual pub quiz with my work colleagues this evening. Bring your own bottle. Just to give everyone a chance not to be thinking about work and have a general laugh. Just because some of us are more of a worry than others.

I was cutting the front lawn last week before the lockdown, and the local churchwarden passed. We chatted; since services had been suspended, she organised volunteers from the congregation to each phone several of the local elderly daily and check up on them. The parish council has organised something similar, completely independently. At our end of the road, we've all swapped phone numbers - if any of us happen to be out the front at the same time it's "You OK?". Now the NHS volunteer scheme has been set up....I'm delighted but not surprised they've got so many responders. Just seem to bring out the best in most people, these situations.

It's almost reached the state where rival gangs of volunteers are (metaphorically!) roaming the streets beating each other off the local wrinklies, some of whom are getting sick of several nuisance calls a day from do-gooders! Well - that's a bit of an exaggeration - and it's a darn sight better than nobody bothering.

We're going to beat this thing, folks - and be the better for it after, too.

Steve Maskery":274bm7cd said:
Apparently it doesn't mean the same thing in the USA...

More than 4 hours in a row of it here is grounds for a trip to the emergency room.

D_W":wv9zvtpr said:
Steve Maskery":wv9zvtpr said:
Apparently it doesn't mean the same thing in the USA...

More than 4 hours in a row of it here is grounds for a trip to the emergency room.
you may want to cut back on the blue pills? (hammer) (hammer)

Steve Maskery":wo8gewd9 said:
Yes he is.
I have another friend, far away. He is poorly with something. It may be C19 or it may be something else, but he is not feeling great. I told him to keep his pecker up. Apparently it doesn't mean the same thing in the USA...

Lots of British humour doesn't translate into other languages and cultures, as I've found out with foreign wife's family, sometimes have to be careful. Not sure how they would regard "she's under the doctor" or "he's holding his own" :)

We live on a small estate of bungalows, mostly but not all old folks. When we arrived home last week, found an letter sent to everyone from local care worker who lives close by, giving her phone number and address, offering help including shopping to anyone unable to cope. We're doing shopping for a couple of older friends but the care worker is offering help to total strangers, there are more caring people around than we normally see or hear of.

Back