The Printed Word

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanG

Established Member
Reaction score
The printed word.
I’ve been a keen woodworker for about three years now, like many I suppose, the New Yankee Workshop kindled my interest, and like many I suppose, I now own a garage, which once housed a car, a motorbike and several years worth of collected junk and now houses tools and wood.
But I now need some inspiration, Sky TV does not provide enough these days, I need something to read, something to stimulate my meagre creative juices I need some recommendations from you out there, what magazines should I read, I need something with tool reviews but mainly projects and if possible plans.
Alan

Alan,

aha, got to be carefull here with two well respected woody hacks in our midsts.....

Doffs cap and nods...
Ralph, Andy

:lol:

Good Woodworking and New Woodworking are both stonkin reads.

The Router for something a bit more dedicated, or Furniture & Cabinet Making which is a murican publication.

And I msure there are loads of others that will be posted by the rest of the herberts here.

Good Luck

Signal

Alan,

Ah, how nice to see someone taking their first tottering steps away from Norm and out on their own. Congrats. Before we go any further, just to clear up that F&C isn't 'Murrican but British. I'd love to say that's a good thing, but alas... Of the British ones I'm familiar with I'd have to recommend GWW. Its easily my longest running sub, and there's always something in it of interest, and frequently lots of things. If you fancy an easier change from 'Murrican methods on the telly to those in print then Popular Woodworking from the States is good, although their sub service is terrible (Try WHSmiths for it). The bonus is that they're getting more hand tool orientated, so it'd push you down The Slope at the same time. Fine Woodworking (US) is fabulous to look at and inspirational, but not really much the beginner would want to make I feel. Ditto for F&C. Other than that I wouldn't know, but if you haven't already got a copy get hold of the Collins Complete Woodworker's Manual by Jackson & Day to really give an excellent grounding in the tools and their use in the UK. Lots of other stuff too, and by no means just for newbies; I refer back to it frequently.

Cheers, Alf

LOL well done alf, you spotted my deliberate mistake, of course I meant to say Fine woodworking, you knew that though didn't you. :oops:

Signal

New woodworking is good, you can get it from your local WHSmith.

*cough* go out and buy the current February issue, it has my shaker table article in :wink: Pages 13-15

I also like goodwoodworking - although I barley buy it :( (I should subscribe)

Personally, i'm not too keen on "furniture and cabinetmaking" or "The woodworker"

Erm yeah, that's right, Sig. "Deliberate mistake," I thought. Not "been on beers" or anything like that... :wink:

So James, your march for world domination continues then? Will you remember us when you're famous...? :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf,

Nah definately nothing to do with Alkehole, Im an alkehole free zone at the moment on account of the flucoxocilin :cry:

Just not enough sleep and a foggy brain

Signal

Alan,
I really recommend Fine Woodworking, the American mag-all articles of of the highest quality, the photo's are top notch and the projects inspire, regardless of your level of ability!
As for books, when it comes to inspiration I cannot recommend more high James Krenov's book, "The Fine Art of Cabinetmaking". It will inspire solo woodworkers of all levels to get stuck in, and is full of tool fettling tips, info on various woods, design tips and a hugh dollop of inspiration! His writings really hit the spot with me, and push me to higher levels.
Hope this is of some help,
Philly

Agree with all so far, especially FWW,GWW,Krenov and Jackson & Day. As Alf also mentions Pop WW is good, as is Wood and, sometimes, American WW (although starting to lose the plot at times). All available at WH Smiths. Another source is your local Bargain Books outlet. Sometimes there are actually a few WW bargains.

Rgd

Noel

Hi Alan

My personal favourires are Fine Woodworking, Good Woodworking and if you are into routing, The Router.

If you a host of plans why not pop into WHS and buy the GWW Big Book of Plans. It is 8.99 and has nearly fifty plans, a real mixture. It tends to be with the magazines.

Cheers
Neil

News Flash

I popped in to WH Smiths in Stevenage and they are selling The BIG Book of Projects for half price, so be quick

Hey dave,

your just up the road from me, relatively speaking :lol:

Im in Waltham Abbey, mind if I ask where you source your timber?

Cheers

Signal

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, it looks like I shall have to visit WH Smiths.

Excellent forum

Thank you

Alan

Signal,

For softwood I use Rigeons, they have a large site in Sudbury, just rebuilt their storage sheds. They sell pine known as premier grade redwood, lots of sizes in par. It seems well dried (I don't have a meter), straight and best of all they will let you sort out the bits you want. I have picked some for knot free and for other things I like knots to give interest to the project. They also stock joinery grade sawn redwood timber, which is cheaper but needs more work.
I have bought Iroko from Atkins & Cripps in Bishop's Stortford, they have a large stock of all types of sawn hardwood and the staff are very helpful.
I have bought some Cherry from Good Timber, Nether Heyford, Northamptonshire. They have sale and show days, demos by tool suppliers. Its quite a long way to go but me and a friend had a day out there last summer.

I like to see what I am buying when it come to wood so have not bought any on line (yet).

Dave

Cheers for that Attwoods rings a bell and cant be more than half an hour from me, might make a visit next week.

Ive used Enfield timber, Leaside Timber and another in Brimsdown
ponders end whos name I can never remember.

Yet to buy any hardwood, to expensive at the moment to make a glaring ricket have to start again. But the time is near

Signal

Back