The possible connection tween red light bulbs and insanity.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

workshopted

Established Member
Reaction score
Red Light Bulbs: Does anyone else collect them?

This particular light bulb came with a 22'' pair of 18th-century dividers (possibly French) and as you can see it's in immaculate condition...... for its age... Just like me!

Attachments

• DSCN4260.JPG
    DSCN4260.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 125
  • DSCN4254.JPG
    DSCN4254.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCN4253.JPG
    DSCN4253.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 112
Oh dear this does not bode well for glow in the dark submariners or the rest of us either 😟💥

Still you could mark out a rather lovely shelter with those very pretty dividers
😎

Red Light Bulbs: Does anyone else collect them?

This particular light bulb came with a 22'' pair of 18th-century dividers (possibly French) and as you can see it's in immaculate condition...... for its age... Just like me!
Lovely Ted, so is this your lightbulb moment? Well done, looks like you have grasped the art of 3 pictures on the same post👏
Cheers Andy

I am puzzled by the "decorative" notches at the inner ends of the points. Might they have been for string/cord, so you could constrain the spread of the arms? I could see one pair of notches doing that, however the inner ones obviously wouldn't.

Just decorative, or functional too?
Hi, Eric,

Your guess is as good as mine on that one.

Oh dear this does not bode well for glow in the dark submariners or the rest of us either 😟💥

Still you could mark out a rather lovely shelter with those very pretty dividers
😎

Hi, Droogs,

Did those 'glow in the dark submariners' work on a nuclear powered submarine? Grin!

I think we should be very careful about the deployment of red lightbulbs .... could lead to 'misunderstandings' in some quarters.

You could mark out some stonking dovetails with those dividers, though.

I can neither confirm nor deny and if I did then I'd have to shoot you. First though I would have to spend 3 weeks hand crafting a high power medieval crossbow and bolts after first making all the tools needed by hand on a mapp gas powered home forge and a treadle lathe while learning the art of rope making

I would suggest that these are mariners charting dividers. It was not uncommon for ornate embellishment such as a serpents head to appear on such fine instruments. Don't quote me on this, but I have memories of working with old hands who were time served navigators (no retired and teaching) that had very nice sets often gifted to them by their last captain as a keepsake. These were often from the old school merchant navy (occasionally services too), I dowt in the modern variant there is anywhere near as much respect paid.

I can neither confirm nor deny and if I did then I'd have to shoot you. First though I would have to spend 3 weeks hand crafting a high power medieval crossbow and bolts after first making all the tools needed by hand on a mapp gas powered home forge and a treadle lathe while learning the art of rope making

Your comment about making a treadle lathe reminds me of a pal of mine by the name of Jim Hendricks... He does wild, whacky, and wonderful rather well. Incidentally, he does some marvellous posts on Unplugged Woodworkers Facebook page.

I would suggest that these are mariners charting dividers. It was not uncommon for ornate embellishment such as a serpents head to appear on such fine instruments. Don't quote me on this, but I have memories of working with old hands who were time served navigators (no retired and teaching) that had very nice sets often gifted to them by their last captain as a keepsake. These were often from the old school merchant navy (occasionally services too), I dowt in the modern variant there is anywhere near as much respect paid.

I seem to remember someone telling me that they were used in the carriage making trade - but I rather like your idea, my friend.

I think we should be very careful about the deployment of red lightbulbs .... could lead to 'misunderstandings' in some quarters.

You could mark out some stonking dovetails with those dividers, though.

I agree, but could you let me know exactly where those 'quarters' can be found... Asking for a friend. Grin!

Back