The only unfriendly "native" I came across

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
We found all the Canadians we encountered very friendly except this one.
Got a face to face with this big guy who luckily was more interested in eating the flowers than me. I got within 10 metres but did make sure there were other people between him and me at all times as I figured I could make the car by the time he'd chewed on them first :) There are some incredibly stupid people - one was almost within touching distance and grizzlies are well known for their unpredictable moods and amazing speed over 30 metres. My wife hid behind the car :lol:

For a photo that's been taken pointing a camera over your right shoulder whilst running at 25mph and clenching your spincter muscle at the same time, its a cracking photo!

Any thing that eats flowers can't be that hard....

Pete

Benchwayze":22ebsia6 said:
Nice shot indeed. But they're just like a big dog really are they not! They love to play with you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Their definition of "play" is rather like a house cat "playing" with a bird it's caught. One playful swipe to the head, with a front paw the size of a tennis racket, and you're done for.

jakethebuilder":q1ey1jvs said:
Benchwayze":q1ey1jvs said:
Nice shot indeed. But they're just like a big dog really are they not! They love to play with you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Their definition of "play" is rather like a house cat "playing" with a bird it's caught. One playful swipe to the head, with a front paw the size of a tennis racket, and you're done for.

:-" :-k :lol: :lol:

Hi Lons , back from Canuckia eh! Hope you had a nice time here. The bears around here ( Lake Huron area) are some bit smaller than that specimen you saw. Thank all the spirits for that. Most in Ontario are about half a grizzler in weight and a quarter as dangerous. Not advocating treating ours lightly , but ours are easier to deal with. Darn fine photo amigo , but without a real long lens , closer than I would get. Come again soon pal , loads left to see (it's sorta a big place).

My wife has always fancied Canada, but in my ignorance I haven't discovered the 'draw'.

Please interpret no offence, I simply know nothing of the [largest chunk of N.America] place.

Any chance of enlightenment?

Very much depends what you are looking for Mike. For me it is all about the country , as in the land itself. We are blessed with some of the most beautiful wilderness in the world in widely varying styles and impressive quantity. If you want big skies and sweeping vistas our plains provinces will provide them. There is a joke about watching your dog run away ... and it took three days. Mountains are available in abundance in the far west ,British Columbia and Alberta provide skiing in winter and breath sucking scenery in summer. For bucolic farming communities , my own Ontario as well as Quebec and much of the maritimes give peace and tranquility out the whazzoo.
On the flip side , we boast a few cosmopolitan areas for the sybarite. Toronto , Montreal and Vancouver spring to mind for fine dining , dancing and theater.
Basically , if you can't find it here , you ain't looking hard enough.

Great place. We went 10 yrs ago to Toronto. Lots to see and do there. Nice people. Vast place, the lakes look like seas, water disappearing over the horizon. Niagra was an experience too, bigger than I had expected, very spectacular.
0050_zpsca8c4d02.jpg

Sorry no wild bear pics, wouldn't have had the bottle!

Attachments

• 0045.jpg
    0045.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 878
Hmmm, looks like a visit might be on the cards in the next year or two, 20th anniv. in 2015.

I don't think we could go without seeing Niagara, and we do like cities, but the natural vistas sound appealing too. It could end up as a two parter (E + W) joined by an internal flight.

Best start saving up.

monkeybiter":nh073geq said:
Hmmm, looks like a visit might be on the cards in the next year or two, 20th anniv. in 2015.

I don't think we could go without seeing Niagara, and we do like cities, but the natural vistas sound appealing too. It could end up as a two parter (E + W) joined by an internal flight.

Best start saving up.

It's a 7 hour flight coast to coast!!

To answer the questions about Canada:

We absolutely loved the parts we saw, huge in area but tiny on the map :) In a nutshell, we also loved New Zealand and Canada reminds me ot that as it has similar people with permanent smiles, laid back attitude and the most helpful nature I've ever encountered. Even the motorists are polite and I couldn't believe how many times as a pedestrian, a driver would stop and wave us across a junction. Only once in 3000 km did I see a driver get sort of cross but that was my fault as she had right of way and I started to go before her. Even that was just a questioning wave of the hand and a smile - not the finger or fist you would see here.

We started in Toronto and did the coach tour to Niagra falls inc maid of the mist in grayorms photos. Awesome and very very wet under the falls. Niagra town was horrible and like a mini Vegas but Niagra on the Lake was beautiful. I honestly thought the 4 nights we stayed in Toronto were too many and most of it is like many other cities, however we had no car there so couldn't explore further than the hop on / off bus and by foot.

Our flight onwards to Victoria (Vancouver Island) showed us just how huge the country is with a 3 hour time difference and 5+ hours flight but Victoria is fabulous and the small part of the Island we saw over 4 days as far up as Qualicum Beach left us wanting to see much more, 2 or 3 weeks in reality! We did manage a trip out to see wild Orcas though my wife wasn't too keen when they killed and played with a seal. 80 mile round trip in a fast 10 man "rubber" hull boat was an experience :lol:

Then over the "narrow" stretch of water to the mainland that was actually a 90 minute car ferry trip and on to Whistler, commercial but beautiful. More driving onwards through the fabulous rockies for a couple of days until our stop at Valemount from where we had planned the 250 mile drive through Jasper and the much acclaimed highway1 route as far as Banff where we had arranged to meet friends for dinner. We never made it, (did drive to Jasper where we met the grizzly), as both Calgary and Banff were cut off due to severe flooding. We couldn't get in and our friends couldn't get out for another 3 days, missed their flight home and were delayed for 8 days. They texted us to say the military were building a temporary bridge in the town. Disappointing for us but devastaing for the thousands of Calgary residents evacuated from their homes.

With 5 nights cancelled, we ended up in the Suswash valley (spelling?) and it was very nice indeed. We also discovered probably the best small hotel / inn at Salmon Arm we've ever stayed in and 1 night turned into 3 with us not wanting to leave. On to Kelowna and Hope, the wine regions before ending in Vancouver for our final 5 days.
What can I say about Vancouver? With the possible exceptoin of Sydney, it's now my favourate city and another we'll definately go back to. the waterfront and Stanley Park especially are stunning and we didn't have time to visit some of the other attractions. It was Canada holiday weekend so busy and we were among the 200,000 to watch the street parade where the atmosphere and sense of goodwill were amazing, so much so it brought a lump to my old throat. Everyone is a Canadian, whatever colour, creed, religion or ethnic group. On the downside, there were a large number of beggars on the streets who weren't shy in coming forward to pester.

I also found out that that Sunday was Canabis day. Quite a shock for me as a naive, never tried the stuff guy having encountered it only once in Amsterdam. There were at least 100 stalls and lots of guys selling everything you could think of plus a lot more. I never knew you could buy a cannabis lollipop, biscuits or cake and free samples were being handed out everywhere, I sort of wish I'd had a taste - but then maybe not. Loads of police around, a speaker on stage, people like me with wide eyes and open mouths along with kids and old rockers with the same look as us but different reason. Groups passing hand rolled ciggies around. Posters with comments like "If Jesus smoked would it have been holy hash?" - I'm a much better educated person now :lol:

Did we like it? - too bloody right and were going back asap. If you wanted the short version you should hanve skipped to here (hammer) :lol: :lol:

Bob

Here's a photo taken on my phone so not the best quality, of mount Robson on the way to Jasper.

A great read Bob, thanks. We went to stay with family on the outskirts of Toronto, they took us to see all the sights around the city, but we stayed put. That trip to the west sounds fantastic. I think winning the lottery would mean endless travel for me.

Back