The obsession continues.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
_________Even if it is somewhat behind the scenes.

_________ ___click on images for larger view
_________Finding somewhere for The Winter Lathe Fuel

_________With all this lying around it can lead to a bit of over-enthusiasm :roll:

_________

_________Hopefully in three weeks time it will lead to a dozen or so similar to these:

_________
_____________Sycamore (182mm) ________Sycamore (177mm)

Hi CHJ
I think you are going to get me started on bowls :roll: :)
Nice start to a new thread :wink:

CHJ":3f3leh6u said:
_________With all this lying around it can lead to a bit of over-enthusiasm :roll:

_________
Ah, Chas, there's nothing like efficient dust extraction, is there. And that's nothing like effici-... :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3v75z5x8 said:
Ah, Chas, there's nothing like efficient dust extraction, is there. And that's nothing like effici-... :wink: :lol:
Cheers, Alf

Not doing dust this week Alf, :lol: Sycamore was still happily growing last week-end, so it is wood sludge stripes to workwear, windows, ceiling and floor at the moment, 7 very large bags of 'turnings' in two days and it's all to wet to burn ](*,)

As a matter of interest, the lathe created dust problem seems to be on a par with that created by the dammed parrot that shares the shed since I started dumping it all outside, so baring excessive heating bills this winter it's looking good.

Looking nice,Chas - are the sycamore bowls finished in your preferred melamine ?

Andrew (who must get round to trying out melamine)

PowerTool":15h8i1wf said:
Looking nice,Chas - are the sycamore bowls finished in your preferred melamine ?

Andrew (who must get round to trying out melamine)

Hi Andrew, no they are just finished in Woodwax22.

They are part of an on-going order from the person giving access to the timber.

My brief is to turn whatever the wood suggests, warts and all, and as near nature as possible, hence Beeswax/Carnauba, and recipients will be advised to use Beeswax based polish to brighten them if necessary.

Incidentally the timber for them was harvested on Sep 13 (at the same time as this lot)and finished turned on Oct 01.

______Fitted these in between the Grand Prix and the Rugby today.

_________ ___click on images for larger view
____________Sycamore 140 mm high.

______Andrew, as a comparison of finish, the front two are finished with Chestnut Melamine, the rear one is just Woodwax22.

______May be more obvious in this shot:

_________

very prolific, as usual Chas..... :D
wonderful turnings I have to say, always enjoy looking at your "projects".

and such a lucky lad having All that wood to play with :D

Thanks for the comment Neil, I have no pretentions to match the craftsmanship of the Arts and Crafts movement but the green timber comes from some of the woods visible in these pictures and within 400yards of the Daneway House. I can't help feeling a sense of privilege that I too in my own little way may leave something behind for the next generation at least.

oldsoke":116npu5n said:
Super looking Goblets Chas

Rather please with myself Graham, got to the point now where they are coming off the lathe in isolation without any templates patterns etc. just basic length markings on the blank and two diameter checks, (overall & stem collar) as aiming points.

Very nice goblets :D - they are a particular favourite item of mine (I really like traditional eating and drinking items)

And thanks for the second photo - it shows the difference in finishes quite well.

Andrew

Lovely countryside, Chas....

But, I`m beginning to wonder if you arent trying to turn it into open moorland, single handedly.... :shock: :shock: :D

NeilO":1qou0yc9 said:

But, I`m beginning to wonder if you arent trying to turn it into open moorland, single handedly.... :shock: :shock: :D

:lol: :lol:

It's the curse that comes with working with wood isn't it, every tree is viewed with a certain amount of avarice and ones that circum to the chainsaw are pounced upon with glee, fortunately for the local woodland most is managed for timber production and the ones that aren't are owned by persons not averse to planting or nurturing natural replacements.

NeilO":23my1i4j said:

The Sahara Desert used to be called the Sahara Forest until Chas went there on his holiday once!!! :D :D :D

Only kidding Chas - super work as always - keep them coming! Your productivity puts me to shame!

Regards

Gary

Chas......its still nice to know that, the synergy between natures beauty and the art of the turner, can make a felled tree something worthy of a admiring glance............... something a lttle more emotionally invoking than merely firewood.
so to hell with the bonfires, you keep a`turnin` Chas. :D

_________A couple of bits of the Silver Birch that arrived sept. 18th.

_________ ___ ___click on images for larger view
_________Silver Birch & Padauk (130mm)____Silver Birch & Padauk (120mm)

_________Wet morning, so in the in the shed again.

___________ ___ click on image for larger view
______________Sycamore (150mm)

nice one Chas....

is the lid made out of wood??, and if so what species

on the subject of turning had my first "play" with that Merlin lathe i was given, with Cumquats old B&Q pine ...well you can imagine :D
but its all good practice using them there big chisel thingies....

:?: should I be using the tool, centre line , below , or above of the work because I have noticed you DO get a different effect using the 3 positions :?:

A bit more practice before i show my artistry though :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back