The non-Veritas Moisture Meter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Rob

Welcome to the group. As we are now in a world market how can you justify a different level of warranty in the US and the UK?

I have just bought a moisture meter in the UK with a two-year warranty, but if I buy it in the US I get a three-year warranty. How can this be correct?

Thanks
Neil

Neil,

I suspect it all down to economics. For example :
Mr Tool shop man - "how much for 50 of your widgets?"
Tool distributor - "depends, 1, 2 or 3 year warranty?"
Mr Tool shop man - "what's the difference?"
Tool distributor - "£20 / unit for 1 yr, £30 / unit for 2 yrs, £40 / unit for 3 yrs"

Something like that anyway. Bear in mind that in the case of the Veritas M/Meter that is manufactured in Canada it's not viable or indeed practical to return faulty equipment back across the Atlantic. Brimarc's liability has to end somewhere.
Just MHO.

Rgds

Noel

Hi Noel

Noely":1ml0c8gs said:
I suspect it all down to economics. For example :
Mr Tool shop man - "how much for 50 of your widgets?"
Tool distributor - "depends, 1, 2 or 3 year warranty?"
Mr Tool shop man - "what's the difference?"
Tool distributor - "£20 / unit for 1 yr, £30 / unit for 2 yrs, £40 / unit for 3 yrs"

Something like that anyway. Bear in mind that in the case of the Veritas M/Meter that is manufactured in Canada it's not viable or indeed practical to return faulty equipment back across the Atlantic. Brimarc's liability has to end somewhere.
Just MHO.

I understand exactly what you're saying and normally I would agree with you entirely. However, on this ocassion, when you can buy the moisture meter in the US for 59.99USD with a three-year warranty or pay 53.63GBP (98.88USD) with a two-year warranty in this country I feel that something is very wrong. :roll:

Cheers
Neil

Newbie_Neil":1v0cc0hv said:
Hi Rob

Welcome to the group. As we are now in a world market how can you justify a different level of warranty in the US and the UK?

I have just bought a moisture meter in the UK with a two-year warranty, but if I buy it in the US I get a three-year warranty. How can this be correct?

Thanks
Neil

Neil -

The short answer is, because it's not a Veritas product, and BriMarc doesn't buy it from us. It IS made here in Canada, and Veritas does distribute it in North America though. We put a 3 year warranty on it.

The good news is - other than pins - you really won't have any issues with it...not sure I've ever seen a warranty return ....

Cheers -

Rob

Hi Rob

Rob Lee":2stcse23 said:
The short answer is, because it's not a Veritas product, and BriMarc doesn't buy it from us.

Thank you for replying to my post, it is much appreciated. Please accept my apologies as I bought the product because it was advertised as the "Veritas Timber Check Moisture Meter" and was recommended by other members of this group. :oops:

In view of the fact that it is not a Veritas product you might want to look at one or two web sites. :roll:

This is Axminster http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=N9901

and this is the Brimarc Veritas page http://www.brimarc.com/home.php3?page=products&pc=C_106

Thanks again

Neil

So Neil,

How satisfactory?? A week in Barbados or Blackpool??
Seriously, if all has been sorted whom should we applaud? We always hear the bad news stories, how about a good news story?

Rgds

Noel

Hi Noel

Noely":1pxwk51n said:
Seriously, if all has been sorted whom should we applaud? We always hear the bad news stories, how about a good news story?

I'll give you a clue. Have a look at my previous post. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

PS As at today Axminster still haven't corrected their web site.

BriMarc are happy to offer a 3 year warranty on the Moisture Meter. We hardly get them back. E mail me off group and I will mail a guarantee accordingly.

Martin

Any chance of a 'group buy' discount if several (5 OR 10) members of the forum buy a moisture meter at the same time?

Cheers

Tony

I would be able to arrange a special price through one of our stockists. Really this is better done off line from now.

The Veritas mistake on Moisture meter was my error, no-one elses. We just didn't sever the original link in some old marketing material. Apologies to all.

Can we leave this now?

With reference to warranties on may goods. They arent worth the paper they are printed on. QVC regularly sell items with a 'lifetime' guarantee. Although this is OK for goods manufactured in UK it is worthless for good manufactured in other countries where they postage & packaging alone it more than the goods value. I once gought an item with a 'lifetime' warranty then rang QVC asking how they would honour it as the item was made in USA. They replied that although QVC sold the items as such the sale wasn't from them but the manufacturer & I should contact the makers in USA. QVC only accepts liability up to 12 months. Fortunately most of the tools they sell with lifetime guarantees are either made in UK or they are made to a distributors specification who is based in UK. I've tried multi purpose drill bits that are supposed to be able to drill into any material only to find them blunted on 1st use in a house brick so had to return the set within a week of receipt.

Back