The new shop!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought it may be of interest to post pics of the furniture I was busy making (hereand here) in the lead up to Christmas (and a bit beyond!) for our new shop. The shop will sell computers, printers, cameras, camcorders, MP3/Video players etc. Our remit is computers and anything that to plugs into them! We'll also be offering support / upgrades / repairs.

Thanks so much for the advice I've got here - especially to JasonB and Simon (Oryxdesign).

Before:

Original Sketchup design (which changed slightly):

And after (with a fair bit of building work in between!):

The black bookcase style cabinet I made with the Domino for alignment and pocket screws to hold it together (no glue). The slatboard was salvaged from the old shop - did eventually manage to swap the brightly coloured plastic inserts!

Just spent the last week sorting out the POS equipment. If anyone can suggest some good software - I haven't made up my mind yet on what to use although have found some reasonably priced sw that'll do the job.

I've finally started ordering stock which is very exciting.

Cheers

Gidon

All the very best of luck Gidon. The shop looks fantastic. Very minimal and stylish.

Looks great but why on earth are you running vista on your desktop still?! Windows 7 is much better.

Thanks Alf - you'll have to pop in when you're passing!
Chems I like Windows 7 but not buying another license just to run some basic point of sales software!
Cheers
Gidon

gidon":1zzux673 said:
Thanks Alf - you'll have to pop in when you're passing!
Chems I like Windows 7 but not buying another license just to run some basic point of sales software!
Cheers
Gidon

Depending on how new your computer is you may get a free upgrade. I got mine online for £34 well worth it for the upgrade. I just thought that if you'd be doing repairs etc you'd want a good system.

The shop is lovely, really great looking.

Correct wc!
Chems - I won't be using the machine you see for anything apart from POS and some web browsing / ordering from suppliers!! I should say the door you see in the last pic goes through to another room the same size which is the stock room and where we'll be doing repairs etc :).
Cheers
Gidon

G - looks great...the Domino survived the crapboard then? If it didn't, you know where to send it :lol: :lol: - Rob

gidon":2x8o0u63 said:
Correct wc!
Chems - I won't be using the machine you see for anything apart from POS

In which case I highly recommend you downgrade it to XP. Much more robust and reliable and you should get much more support from whatever POS software you go for. I might have an XP license you can have if needed.

wizer":3poyx94k said:
gidon":3poyx94k said:
Correct wc!
Chems - I won't be using the machine you see for anything apart from POS

In which case I highly recommend you downgrade it to XP. Much more robust and reliable and you should get much more support from whatever POS software you go for. I might have an XP license you can have if needed.

The thing with vista is even if you don't load any software on and only use it for web browsing it still seems to go crazy and sit there churning away all the time.

But enough of our hijack. :D

Thanks Chaps - Rob - sorry the Domino survived :lol:.
Cheers
Gidon
(PS Did think of downgrading to XP - have one license unused thanks though Tom - but the POS I've tried runs fine on Vista. Blimey wish I'd changed the desktop background in the shot ;)!)

Hi Gidon

Looks good, well done. I'm looking forward to seeing it full of tech in the near future :wink: . Good luck with the venture. As a matter of interest, if you mind mind me asking, how much time do you think you invested?

Simon

Thanks Simon
Good question wish I'd kept a good record. I reckon a good four weeks!
What would a pro charge (albeit better) to make that lot do you reckon then I can see if it was a worthwhile investment?! Wouldn't have the same satisfaction though ...
Cheers
Gidon

Bare in mind that if you has have built them in Simon's workshop, you'd have reduced the work time, if for space alone.

Back