The New Ferrex Bandsaw Aldi

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thetyreman":38cgpcah said:
do you think it would cope with say a 120mm wide piece that's 19mm thick? I want to cut it down into two 7 or 8 mm thick pieces, but keep that width? from what you are saying it sounds like it might be ok, I am still wondering if this is a worthwhile purchase for me.

To do that job (it's called re-sawing or deep ripping) you need a very coarse blade, no more than 3 TPI. This is because the gullets need to carry away a lot of sawdust, so they need to be big. If you try to do the job with a finer blade, the (small) gullets get clogged and cutting stalls.

The manual for my Axminster bandsaw recommends that you DON'T detension the blade unless you're mothballing the machine for some time. Says frequent detensioning increases wear on the tension mechanism.

The actual text is:

Do not release the tension on the saw blade when work is complete. The blades and the main saw frame do not respond kindly to constant changes in stress and tension. Only release the tension to change the blade or if the blade is to be removed because the machine is to be ‘mothballed’ for a lengthy time period.

Who knows how much difference it makes.

Steve Maskery":2j9rfulo said:
Hmmm. The tension mechanism consists of a nut, a bolt and a spring. Just how much wear can you inflict?
It's a known failing on the Elu 3401/3501 & Dewalt equivalents & therefor probably on all small bandsaws with this type of tensioning system.
The threads wear badly or the bolt stretches because it's mild steel. Possibly caused by over tensioning.
I tried to source a high tension replacement but settled for renewing the bolt every couple of years.

I did find I have managed to improve a couple of areas with fettling, mostly the plastic part near the exit chip extractor was catching meaning you couldn't adjust the lower bearing system properly, now much better, awaiting a tuff saws blade, can't wait to get that installed and see how it performs, some great advice on here.

thetyreman":17thd92a said:
I did find I have managed to improve a couple of areas with fettling, mostly the plastic part near the exit chip extractor was catching meaning you couldn't adjust the lower bearing system properly, now much better, awaiting a tuff saws blade, can't wait to get that installed and see how it performs, some great advice on here.

I was going to ask you last night how you're getting on with it and if you think it's a good buy :D

PeteG":2b1x2e0s said:
thetyreman":2b1x2e0s said:

I was going to ask you last night how you're getting on with it and if you think it's a good buy :D

I think it is a good buy yes, for this price especially, I will try it out with a decent blade soon and report back.

oh dear, had a bit of a disaster, I tried putting on the new 1/2" blade and the bolt on the tensioner has stripped, I'm really annoyed as I got close to setting it up perfectly then this happened just before I was about to turn it on :( I'm guessing it will never take that amount of tension? it didn't feel like I was over tightening it either. Upon inspection it looks like the bolt and thread was not a perfect fit, I am wondering if it's worth getting someone to machine a new part that is better made? I really want to get this work now, all this time messing about and I could have done it with handsaws or even made a frame saw. :lol:

A 1/2" blade on a tiny machine is asking a bit much, I'd say. Not necessarily impossible, but definitely at the top end of its capability. I have a huge (by comparison) Scheppach and I wouldn't put anything bigger than 3/4" on that.
Stick with 1/4 or 3/8 blades if you can.

I will see if I can get a spare part sent out tomorrow from aldi and it sounds like I need a 3/8" blade instead (hammer) thanks steve

thetyreman":1krjybcn said:
I will see if I can get a spare part sent out tomorrow from aldi and it sounds like I need a 3/8" blade instead (hammer) thanks steve

How did you get on Steve, are they sending a new part?

PeteG":1o92gbvj said:
thetyreman":1o92gbvj said:

couldn't get through, no answer earlier today, tried 3 times for at least 10 minutes. I meant steve, thanks to steve for helping me with the advice sorry for the confusion Pete.

regards,

Ben.

thetyreman":1vmdnsf4 said:
PeteG":1vmdnsf4 said:
thetyreman":1vmdnsf4 said:

couldn't get through, no answer earlier today, tried 3 times for at least 10 minutes. I meant steve, thanks to steve for helping me with the advice sorry for the confusion Pete.

regards,

Ben.

My mistake Ben, no need to apologise :D It might be quicker to ask for a replacement saw instead of a part, either way, lets hope you get through to customer services today!

[/quote]

My mistake Ben, no need to apologise :D It might be quicker to ask for a replacement saw instead of a part, either way, lets hope you get through to customer services today![/quote]

hi, instead I've got a part coming from chaoticbob on here, I could ask for replacement but I'm going to at least try and experiment first and make a better stronger part and use m8 bolt and thread, if it turns out as planned I'll be delighted, more about it here: topic120174.html

thetyreman":35w5lqlg said:
hi, instead I've got a part coming from chaoticbob on here, I could ask for replacement but I'm going to at least try and experiment first and make a better stronger part and use m8 bolt and thread, if it turns out as planned I'll be delighted, more about it here: topic120174.html

That was a stroke of luck Ben, and hopefully, problem solved...

Hi all, I bought one, haven’t used it yet as I’m busy refitting my garage/workshop
I have assembled it and my only concern is the small transparent drive belt which varies the speed, it looks like it may be he first thing to go. I have tried to find a spares supplier so I can have one ready to go but, as yet cannot find anyone who supplies these things, Aldi customer support aren’t interested and haven’t even answered an email I sent. I have noticed several people saying they think it is a re-badged Schapper.
Any help appreciated

I don't know about that particular belt (is it a V-belt or a flat belt?) but the first place I would try is an ordinary motor factors. If they haven't got what you need in stock they usually have a catalogue of every type of belt under the sun.

Royckk":3cq4a8b8 said:
Hi all, I bought one, haven’t used it yet as I’m busy refitting my garage/workshop
I have assembled it and my only concern is the small transparent drive belt which varies the speed, it looks like it may be he first thing to go. I have tried to find a spares supplier so I can have one ready to go but, as yet cannot find anyone who supplies these things, Aldi customer support aren’t interested and haven’t even answered an email I sent. I have noticed several people saying they think it is a re-badged Schapper.
Any help appreciated

Hello Roy. Any chance you can post a photograph of the part? You might do better if you phone customer service, although I suspect it depends who answers. I called a few months to see if I could get hold of a stone effect spray paint they had in store, and I was given the details of the supplier in Germany. Please keep us posted how you get on with the saw. Fingers crossed, I'll have mine in January...

I wanted a 2nd battery for an Aldi cheapo battery drill. The Aldi customer support were useless and just said "contact the people named on the booklet that came with the drill". I did (a German company if I remember, may have been Austrian) and within a week I had a 2nd battery, at a sensible price too. All done via t'internet, quick & painless. Don't know if that applies to the Ferrex tools but worth a try?

Latest posts

Back