The New Ferrex Bandsaw Aldi

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well I bought the ferrex 125mm angle grinder at the weekend and used it this afternoon for cutting vitreous paving slabs. That worked a treat, total of £24 for 4 discs and a tool, cant be bad

saw looks almost identical to my little scheppach

I am very tempted by this one, can anyone tell me what the opening is as in from the bottom of the table to the top or usable blade height, I basically want to get a 6 x 1 piece on it with the edge side on the table to cut it into thinner pieces, from 20mm thick to about 7-8mm thick then plane down to 6mm, is that possible with this saw? apologies if I'm being a noob here.

Droogs":1589holx said:
well I bought the ferrex 125mm angle grinder at the weekend and used it this afternoon for cutting vitreous paving slabs. That worked a treat, total of £24 for 4 discs and a tool, cant be bad

I have a few Ferrex tools, drill/driver, impact driver, recip saw and the multi tool, only paid £8.00 for that with several blades (Cordless no battery). I've spent £32.00 replacing two Bosch ones! All work perfectly well, so far...I do like the look of the bandsaw and I've been after one for months.

1790mm blade is length for a 10" wheel bandsaw. Like old Ax' Hobby one albeit without a case iron table. NB this one has roller bearings and even a spare blade.

Droogs":1sjw13gy said:

Isn't most of the kit Aldi kit actually rebadged Scheppach stuff bought in from China on a "special purchase"?

Trevanion":3bxj7egq said:
Droogs":3bxj7egq said:

Isn't most of the kit Aldi kit actually rebadged Scheppach stuff bought in from China on a "special purchase"?

This is the new Scheppach that looks similar except it has a 350W motor and doesn't have top bearing guides. What Aldi don't mention is the extending table, 380 mm to 520 mm...

https://www.toolstation.com/scheppach-h ... saw/p47621

Hi All, just joined, got this Ferrex bandsaw today after looking for something that had some good power and quality after having a useless Titan machine from screwfix. But very impressed with the build quality and just spent 10 min aligning the saw and minor fettling, impressed as hell as the machine cut thru a 5x5 inch treated fench post with ease, with the stock blade. think this machine is almost the same as the holtzsaw hbs251 albeit with a cast iron bed and 350w instead of this machine rated at 550w. ton

ebber":19wtg229 said:
Hi All, just joined, got this Ferrex bandsaw today after looking for something that had some good power and quality after having a useless Titan machine from screwfix. But very impressed with the build quality and just spent 10 min aligning the saw and minor fettling, impressed as hell as the machine cut thru a 5x5 inch treated fench post with ease, with the stock blade. think this machine is almost the same as the holtzsaw hbs251 albeit with a cast iron bed and 350w instead of this machine rated at 550w. ton

do you think it would cope with say a 120mm wide piece that's 19mm thick? I want to cut it down into two 7 or 8 mm thick pieces, but keep that width? from what you are saying it sounds like it might be ok, I am still wondering if this is a worthwhile purchase for me.

Hi, yep should be okay, might depend on wood type my fencepost was softwood (larch) maybe, I cut a 5x5" approx section right thru and it did it well, just do the basics blade tension and table setting. it's not a pro model but my Titan from SF wasn't even a hobby machine! this machine is just what I wanted and it will be cutting laminated ash pieces for my pre war car resto so I ordered an excaliber 6mm blade to help the job. the machine does vibrate a bit as it comes without footpads/feet so just mount it on a bit of MDF or rubber sheet. ton

The saw is a re-badged Scheppach hbs261. It looks like it could be a very good budget bandsaw but mine has multiple issues. I'm guessing as other people are happy with their machines this is a quality control issue which was flagged up when I took the machine out and the attached blade had been put on and tightened 'hooked' over one of the top roller guides so that the blade was twisted about 20-30 degrees in the cutting space.
Once I'd removed the blade and put it on properly, the major problem is that the bottom guide assembly won't actually slide back so that the side rollers are behind the blade teeth which makes me wonder if the assembly from a different model has been put on by mistake. I might just get it set up if the the teeth are aligned at the absolute front of the wheels but don't want to as the tire on the top wheel has been glued on irregularly at the edge.
Given that there also seems to be a wide variability in the quality of the parts (chassis and doors very good, parts of the guide assembly come with ragged edges and metal swarf) I'm sadly sending mine back and going to ask for a refund. It's a pity as this could have been atop little budget machine.
Also am I the only person to have received 3 allen keys with the machine, only one of which is needed to do adjustments but none of which fit the locking nut for speed changing?

interesting, I got mine yesterday, need to set it up yet, it seems to be in very good condition, will let you know if I run into any problems, I'm still learning how to set it up at this point.

Not advice Ben but when you get it tracking right ping the blade a few times. Get a memory of the tone. Next time you set it up your ear will let you know its right.

after a while setting it up I am really pleased with it, I'm getting decent cuts, it's good enough for me, maybe you were unlucky jonb? I did have to modify the handle though that you change the table angle with, apart from that there were no other issues. Is it worth de-tentioning the blade when not in use? I also plan on getting better blades, would tuffsaws be a good option there?

I've got a very cheapo small Einhell which I suspect is even "cheaper" that your Aldi/Ferex. 'Cos I didn't know anything about band saws when I bought mine I also bought Steve Maskery's ("Workshop Essentials") DVDs about band saws. I must say that it's probably one of the best few quid I ever spent on the hobby, because I now get a better than expected performance from my saw. Usual disclaimers.

And YES, I know there's lots of stuff on t'internet about setting up band saws but those I've seen (admittedly not all) do NOT cover the subject/s in as much down to earth usable and simple to follow detail as Steve does. Highly recommended.

BTW: Steve's DVD recommends that you DO de-tension the band saw after use - so I do!

AND the other reason (apart from set up, etc) why I get good cuts -certainly better than I think I have any right to expect with such a poor machine - is that I use Tuffsaws blades. Unless you're quite sure exactly what you want/need, I suggest you contact Ian John of Tuffsaws for advice. VERY helpful and highly knowledgeable. Again, usual disclaimers.

Back