THE MOST EXPENSIVE MULTICO TH... IN THE WORLD. (RESTORATION)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keith 66":2e3gas95 said:
Has a single phase motor with belt unloader to allow sstarting on single phase. Before the unloader you got one start per 13amp fuse & next start it would blow!

The belt unloader sounds interesting but I don't see why you would need it if you put it on the end of an adequate supply like a 16A plug or directly connected to the mains unless you've only got a 13A supply? Mine's a 2.2Kw 1Ph motor but I have seen them run with 1.5Kw 1Ph motor fine too so long as the correct supply is used.

Thought I would drop the manual here as well because they seem to be as rare as rocking horse droppings and in case it helps out future generations :), this manual covers the whole Multico TH1, TH3, L1, L3, S1 and S3 range of Planers and Thicknessers with their various attachments.

6wkMJNm.jpg

VLQwhhx.jpg

ZJF9UZh.jpg

w1AMZXT.jpg

IKwB6E9.jpg

L1dxO2I.jpg

utQ4rCd.jpg

39VRLB1.jpg

xWnICbg.jpg

oK5QdNd.jpg

aFeAZnb.jpg

The corrections on this page seem to be actually printed with the rest of the writing rather than wrote into the booklet at a later date.
G219Jws.jpg

bLgXKjR.jpg

OYn4vPY.jpg

Hopefully, this helps anyone with a TH1, TH3, L1, L3, S1 or an S3 planer (Although I've never seen an old S planer, only the Ls. I've got an NS so surely they did exist?)

I hope Multico don't send the solicitors after me for publishing their 30+-year-old manual.

Oh my word :shock: only just seen this. That is just superb.

I get the 'way out west' and hoarding farmers thing. It's a desert out here for decent kit sometimes.

Trevanion":2o2nbyg7 said:
Keith 66":2o2nbyg7 said:
Has a single phase motor with belt unloader to allow sstarting on single phase. Before the unloader you got one start per 13amp fuse & next start it would blow!

The belt unloader sounds interesting but I don't see why you would need it if you put it on the end of an adequate supply like a 16A plug or directly connected to the mains unless you've only got a 13A supply? Mine's a 2.2Kw 1Ph motor but I have seen them run with 1.5Kw 1Ph motor fine too so long as the correct supply is used.
Unfortunately wiring the planer in at its current location wasnt possible as its in a boatyard site where its a 13 amp plug or nothing. When it comes home the 3 phase motor goes back on it!

Mother of god - I had one of these and it was in better nick than yours started off with. I absolutely should have restored it, that thing cleans up well! Great job!

SamTheJarvis":2qg47hr0 said:
Mother of god - I had one of these and it was in better nick than yours started off with. I absolutely should have restored it, that thing cleans up well! Great job!

Thanks! There's nothing to them really once you start taking them apart, very simple and robust machines.

Just sat here twiddling my thumbs waiting for that next piece of equipment to come along that needs saving :lol:.

Thanks for the manuals!
One thing that I would like to have is the actual belt sizes that were specked for the TH1. It does'nt seem to be in the literature.

One thing that I would like to have is the actual belt sizes that were specked for the TH1. It does'nt seem to be in the literature.

Mine uses two A60 belts to run the cutter head and one A47 belt to run the feed. Whether that's the same on the later models I couldn't tell you

First class restoration Trevanion, and a very informative and entertaining WIP with very good pix. Congratulations Sir.👍👍

IF it helps, I agree with you about the colour - a bit too "bright" for my taste, but looks like you've got an excellent finish.

About the only trouble I can see with the whole job is that if mine I certainly wouldn't want to sully the whole thing with saw dust! I'd just be admiring it from all angles for many many weeks before I allowed wood anywhere near it. :cool: job mate.

Last edited:
Hi, where did you get the new knife clamp screws? Cheers

They're nothing particularly special and pretty easy to get a hold of (maybe not in France though) I can't recall what exactly they were though... Something tells me they were 3/8" BSF but I'm not 100% certain, I'll double-check that for you when I get the chance!

Yup, purely personal preference of course, but I prefer that colour too. But nothing takes anything away from the cracking job you've done above mate. (AND BTW, I don't blame you for not going back for a repaint, "just" because of the colour).

Latest posts

Back