The Midlands Woodworking Show

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doug B":ccmgodlp said:
lurker":ccmgodlp said:
Banter aside, are those of us who are going on Friday going to meet up?
I will recognise Doug and the two Petes but not sure about you other folks

Won't everyone have their UK Workshop badges on :? :D

How about 12:00 at the Ashley Iles stand they are usually by the entrance so room to congregate :-k :-k

Blimey! I had forgotten about those badges, I will try to find mine.
Pete, at about the same moment as you posted about Mr Maskery, I was in screw fix nicking pencils 8)

lurker":1skvsi0y said:
It was something donkeys years ago.

9 years ago :shock: :shock: I wonder how many still exist, could be collectors items :lol: :lol:

I only ever remember seeing Chas wearing one then again I don’t get out much

Doug B":3pet2dv7 said:
lurker":3pet2dv7 said:
It was something donkeys years ago.

9 years ago :shock: :shock: I wonder how many still exist, could be collectors items :lol: :lol:

I only ever remember seeing Chas wearing one then again I don’t get out much

Think there were something like 75/80 badges organised, enamel ones as far as I recall. Never had one myself. Before that people used to print out little paper ones with their name on.......

Just to prove I am extra sad, I have found two of these this morning :roll:

Had not realized how few were made and thus rare.

Anyway they are up for sale......... let’s say £1000 each :wink:

Well I quite enjoyed it and consider it to be a tenner well spent.
Some interesting demos and I quite enjoy looking at stuff.
Plus it provides an opportunity to stock up on glues, oils, finishes etc

I went this morning and the organisation was a bit chaotic to say the least.

The security staff were forcing cars to park just inside the main gate, causing a tailback onto the A46. I got there at 10 am and was queuing down the A46 toward the A1. The crazy thing was, there is a huge number of parking spaces right outside the door, that weren't being used!

Once i got to the door i was glad i hadn't bought a ticket - the queue to get in with a ticket was about 100yd long. The queue to pay cash was about 4 people long!! There was one lady checking pre-purchased tickets and allowing folks in, they really need to sort that out. It was very busy today, i had thought that today would be quieter than tomorrow too.

Anyhow, the show hasn't changed much from last year, with a lot of the same retailers in exactly the same place. It is about 1/2 the size of Harrogate show.

Had a good chat with Matt Estlea, and a moan to axminster who seem to be incapable of getting any 5 1/2 Jack planes in stock. So I ended up buying a Woodriver 5 1/2 from Peter Sephton. A bit more expensive, but an absolutely lovely tool. Honed it once i got home, and it is a total pleasure to use. Build quality is impressive too. Thanks to Peter for demoing it so well to another chap and I.

Dropped a clanger in forgetting to pick up a backgammon veneer from Sussex Wood Veneers. Do they have a website?? If anyone is going tomorrow, would you mind getting their contact details for me?

Well I bought a new tape measure (having recently lost my nice go-to :( ) and some Scary Sharp papers from Peter. Some nice stuff on show, I thought. I really liked everything about the LN and Veritas shooting planes. Well, everything except the price. £500 seems like quite a splurge.
I missed the meet-up. mainly because I missed the show ground. :( . "This seems like a long mile-and-a-quarter", thinks I, as I emigrate to Lincolnshire...
Saw Doug and, briefly, Jim and Pete, but couldn't find them later on.
Nice to chat with Colin Hickman again, he does amazing carved walking sticks. If I ever need a stick, I'll buy one of his.
Knackering on the feet, should have worn boots, and I regret not buying a new sweatshirt from Lovells, they are excellent and inexpensive. Mine are looking a bit shabby these days, but then I have had them years and years.
Some very nice chairs on display and plenty to keep the spinney brigade happy, too.I was even tempted to try some offset turning. It would probably help if I were a decent basic turner to start with, though.
All in all, an enjoyable day out.

Steve Maskery":2tt5gox0 said:
Well I bought a new tape measure (having recently lost my nice go-to :( ) and some Scary Sharp papers from Peter. Some nice stuff on show, I thought. I really liked everything about the LN and Veritas shooting planes. Well, everything except the price. £500 seems like quite a splurge.
I missed the meet-up. mainly because I missed the show ground. :( . "This seems like a long mile-and-a-quarter", thinks I, as I emigrate to Lincolnshire...
Saw Doug and, briefly, Jim and Pete, but couldn't find them later on.
Nice to chat with Colin Hickman again, he does amazing carved walking sticks. If I ever need a stick, I'll buy one of his.
Knackering on the feet, should have worn boots, and I regret not buying a new sweatshirt from Lovells, they are excellent and inexpensive. Mine are looking a bit shabby these days, but then I have had them years and years.
Some very nice chairs on display and plenty to keep the spinney brigade happy, too.I was even tempted to try some offset turning. It would probably help if I were a decent basic turner to start with, though.
All in all, an enjoyable day out.

Did you arrive around 12.15, wearing a checked shirt and wraparound shades?

Back