The Mask Cabinet...WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MickCheese":30z8gnjz said:
Rob

I really enjoy the WIPs but often don't feel sufficiently qualified to offer opinions other than if I like or dislike.

Mick
Mick, your opinion and contribution is as valid as anyone else's, regardless of your 'qualifications'. If you have a view, comment or question on any piece of work that I (or anyone else for that matter) has posted I'd be glad to read it, because as Douglas said...that's how we learn - Rob

MickCheese":31aazpyx said:
I really enjoy the WIPs but often don't feel sufficiently qualified to offer opinions other than if I like or dislike.
I really learn loads from those that post

Same here. For instance, I think that cutting stopped grooves is improved by clamping a second fence to stop any sideways movement of the workpiece, and by plunging mid groove then approach each end separately from the centre so there's no arc, even with a deep groove. But I'm strictly a hobbyist with nothing impressive to show, and on the odd occasion I have added similar opinions the usual response is no response, either negative or positive. But so what, if you stick your head above the parapet and it doesn't get shot off that's a bonus :)

And not all questions get answered, see the first reply to this thread :wink:

Rob, this looks like it's going to be another stunning example from your good self. Is it your design?
Will there be any chamfering/curving of the 'outside' of the stiles or will they be left 'square'?
Very very nice, and I look froward to seeing the finished item.

All the best.

Adam.

condeesteso":5m62h55q said:
there you go, like a London bus. Nothing, then suddenly two. How do I fix that??
Go into edit look at the top and theres a little box to tick delete this post

Aces and Eights":2up17os8 said:
Rob, this looks like it's going to be another stunning example from your good self. Is it your design?
Will there be any chamfering/curving of the 'outside' of the stiles or will they be left 'square'?
Very very nice, and I look froward to seeing the finished item.

All the best.

Adam.
In actual fact Adam, it's very loosely based on one of Krenov's pieces that I've adapted. The corner stiles have been gently radiused but have yet to be finished off. The next job is to make the door and hang it with a pair of offset knife hinges which is going to be 'interesting' [-o< after which it's cleaning up, gluing and the final polishing - Rob

MickCheese":bi0aixcb said:

I really learn loads from those that post. =D>

I'm in a similar boat; I know I'm pretty rubbish at woodworking compared to a lot of the guys on this forum so I don't feel like I have much to contribute a lot of the time, but I certainly learn a fair bit (and several WIP threads recently have been fascinating reads in general).

I can't even comment on the aesthetics in this particular case, 'cause I don't have much of an opinion on them, to be honest! It's all very well saying you're happy for people to say that they're indifferent, but being indifferent means I don't feel like I have much to say!

I was interested to see the angled corners, though, since I've faced a similar problem on a table very recently. I guess in all fairness I should probably put up a thread about that, but it's been dragged out over a few months and nothing particularly special, so I've been a bit reluctant!

Thanks for the reply Rob. Are you going to keep the WIP going over here?
I tend to be more of a lurker than poster here, but I for one really appreciate when people take the time to post wips.

All the best, and good luck with the hinges. I've had a mare with hinges myself this morning :cry: :cry:

Adam.

Aces and Eights":782opyr7 said:
All the best, and good luck with the hinges. I've had a mare with hinges myself this morning :cry: :cry:

Adam.
All will be revealed shortly...worry not :wink: :wink: - Rob

A forum post with no reply of any sort can be disappointing let alone going to the effort of taking and uploading pictures/composing a post about the project your building. As mentioned part of the no reply problem is hobbists such as myself dont have that much experience to back our thoughts up with, entering a discussion with somebody that has actually worked in the field seems like a pointless exercise - especially when you think they have done something wrong or are making a mistake.

Keep an eye on the thread viewed count, if the numbers keep going up then people are looking - if not then your really boring people :wink:

Just my take on things, nothing personal ment.

as a gesture of goodwill :lol: I shall return to my chess table with fluted legs very soon. I had paused to do other things but also to contemplate my options regarding 2 drawers, 2 side 'tables' for taken pieces... I was seeing a collision of parts meeting in a mess inside the carcase. I may have a solution, we will see.
(And off-topic, cannot see a delete button in edit. Tried Safari , chrome, firefox. Looked properly.)

condeesteso":2ebkzt8c said:
as a gesture of goodwill :lol: I shall return to my chess table with fluted legs very soon. I had paused to do other things but also to contemplate my options regarding 2 drawers, 2 side 'tables' for taken pieces... I was seeing a collision of parts meeting in a mess inside the carcase. I may have a solution, we will see.
(And off-topic, cannot see a delete button in edit. Tried Safari , chrome, firefox. Looked properly.)

Oh how queer twas there the other day when after a click fest I did 4 in a row :? Perhaps the option dissapears once replied to?

Nice work as always Rob way beyond my skills. Do find something nicer to put in it though Venetian masks are rather like the Stay Set you either love 'em or you hate 'em.

Tom K":69n6vk06 said:
... Do find something nicer to put in it though Venetian masks are rather like the Stay Set you either love 'em or you hate 'em.
Yep, I suppose so. Around ten years ago we had a city break visit to Venice and arrived at St.Marks Square at around 11pm to see the closing hour of the Carnival, with all the costumes and masks, which was truly a fantastic experience...no digital pics unfortunately. During the course of our short stay we came across what I think was the Tragicomica shop where they made the masks and we were both entranced by them and kept on re-visting it several times, trying to work out how we could get a couple home on the aircraft. As we were travelling very light and the masks were incredibly fragile, we reluctantly decided that it was nigh on impossible :(
Roll on ten years and my son with duty gf :-" made the same trip and came across the same shop. He'd seen our pics of the carnival procession and by a miracle managed to get a couple of masks home in his back pack without damaging them so that we had one each on Christmas morning. These things are so delicate that a decent cabinet to display them is one of the things that I promised SWIMBO that I'd make should we ever be in a position to own a couple, so that's really the story of why this job is being done - Rob

Back