• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

The MA thread - AKA Everyday Fan Vault Construction for Beginners.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Adam W.

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Pete, the drawing is 1:3 and it's really, large model size 56" x 36"", although the testers I talked about earlier are about the same size. It could be used for a really nice canopy for a childs bed though.

If I make it any smaller, the ribs become very fiddly and a scale of 1:2 starts getting too big for the space in my studio, plus with wood the price it is in London, I would have to take out a loan to pay for it.

Cooper

Established Member
Reaction score
Since you started posting about this I've been so impressed by your drawing but I really want to know how you will transfer so much detail to a three dimensional form. I suspect this is your first time making fan vaulting, if I had your skill and ambition I think I would have started by making a much less detailed fan, as I find the compound angles and curved mouldings you will be making really difficult to imagine let alone calculate.
The stone fan vaults were a progression from Romanesque arches to Decorated Gothic tracery etc that developed over a few hundred years, by people who had followed lengthy masons apprenticeships.
I must say I take my hat off to you and wish you luck.
Martin

Adam W.

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I try not to think too far ahead of myself, but there's nothing here that I haven't done before in one form or another. There's just a lot of it and it looks complicated because of that, so I just break it down into its component parts and figure if I can make one, I can make them all.

............Like this. I need to be able to make one curved rib and two circles with cusping and mould the pilaster, which is easy enough.

IMG_4802 copy.jpg

As for the compound angles, the best way to deal with them, is to avoid using them as far as possible, and there's no maths involved whatsoever. If I think of it as a timber framing project consisting of curved braces, made from moulded pieces and joined by framing joints, I can relate to it easily enough.

I am prepared to fail though, which is a vital part of the learning process.

Last edited:

Adam W.

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
The first drawing is getting very close to being finished. Once that's done I'll start on the layout for the supporting frame and do a quick section or two, so I should be doing wood stuff in November.

My plan is to have the framing completed before the end of December. This gives me over 6 months to do the vaulting and tracery.

FullSizeRender.jpg

The MA show starts on Saturday and if you're in London SE11 next week and want to come and have a look and a chat, feel free to do so.

There's not much wood on show, but loads of other art to see.

Adam W.

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Life just got a whole lot simpler......

I've been thinking of ways to avoid making loads of small bits and give the spandrels some kind of structural stability, so I thought I'd take a look at all the the rib sized timber in the vault using a bit of drafting film and a pen.

IMG_4850.JPG

So I traced it and then slipped a piece of blank paper between the film and drawing to eliminate all the cusping and the moulding, then I could easily view the elemental form of the rib tracery.

IMG_4853.JPG

The broken line around the conoid represents the transition from the curvature of the conoid to the flat plane of the spandrel.

To me, it looks like a whole lot of coping saw and drilling work on a board, so that's the first avenue that I'm going to explore.

Edit.
Spelling

Last edited:

nickds1

Established Member
Reaction score
Today I learned "conoid" and "spandrel" :)
I love Adam's work, not just because of the beauty and skill involved, but simply the opportunity to vicariously learn a new vocabulary and how to experience a familiar world with new eyes and knowledge.

It's a complete joy (no understatement) and has improved my Scrabble no end...

Trainee neophyte

Established Member
Reaction score
The drawings are a thing of beauty and remind me of Mandelbrot fractals. It's very complex, yet simple and organic at the same time. I bet there is a really simple equation underlying it all, but it almost certainly won't help unless you are a fern.

Adam W.

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've always enjoyed looking at fractals and this is a lovely description.

"a fractal is a subset of Euclidean space with a fractal dimension that strictly exceeds its topological dimension."

I'm going to try and shoehorn it into a crit and see what reaction I get.

nickds1

Established Member
Reaction score
All space-filling curves are interesting. Everyone knows about Mandelbrot, but what about Sierpiński? Sierpiński triangles can be found in churches and in architectural features on other buildings. There's a whole new infinite world out there....

nickds1

Established Member
Reaction score
You can't just dump that there and go, I need more infomation otherwise I'll be up all night.
Its late and I'm in hospital (*), but Google is your friend. Churches, especially Italian ones (including the Sistine Chapel):

...and many other references.

(*) Scheduled knee replacement. Moral is: don't do contact sports.

Last edited:

Adam W.

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
That's great, thank you. I hope the knee surgery goes well.

I was sent this by my youngest while she was on a school trip to Firenze and Pisa. She has a thing about regular repeating patterns too.

Image-6.jpeg

Last edited:

nickds1

Established Member
Reaction score
That's great, thank you. I hope the knee surgery goes well.
It did, thank you - I get discharged today.

If it wasn't for the knee, I'd be up at the masters exhibition (can't do trains for a while or drive for 6 weeks).

Oddly, just before this thread started a few months ago, my wife and I were travelling down from Stamford back to Kent and stopped in Ely for a look at the Octagon Tower/Lantern - not been there for many years.

Just glorious !

Adam W.

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
That's a shame that you can't pay us a visit this time around.

Hopefully I will still be there next time to present something which strictly exceeds its topological dimension to lovers of lignin everywhere.

Rodpr

Established Member
Reaction score
Adam, I want to add to those who have expressed their gratitude for your generous and fascinating account of your explorations. Have you been in touch with any publishers? I'm sure there would be interest in a book about your journeys of discovery. It would make a great TV series too! Meanwhile the instalments here are a real treat.

Cooper

Established Member
Reaction score
The MA show starts on Saturday and if you're in London SE11 next week and want to come and have a look and a chat, feel free to do so.

There's not much wood on show, but loads of other art to see.
Hi, I may well pop up to see you. The joy of a London Freedom Pass. Is there a best day & time, I can't make this weekend? (I remember when I had my Dip Show, a million years ago, we all started the week sitting by our shows expecting the whole world to come by a offer wonderful jobs but after a couple of days with only relatives and our school teachers interested we all sloped off to the common room.)

Adam W.

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I'm there all week except Tuesday, Monday evening is a private wiew thingy, so you'd best check the times on the link. I'm doing meet and greet until 11.30 on Saturday and Sunday, so my workshop will be locked until 12.00 on those days.

@Rodpr Thank you. I'm not sure that me staring at geometric patterns and rambling away would transfer too well onto the tellybox.

Latest posts