The living hell of dust extraction diameters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And of course, all the adapters are 'not quite' the right size.
Even they, they produce a 'too chunky ' block of rubber at the tool dust outlet.

Agree, it's a mess looking for a commercial solution.

I design mine on sketchup. My friend who has a 3d printer then makes it for me. Pay him for the materials and buy him a beer for helping me out. The trick is to make the inside diameter of the adaptor slightly oversize (add 0.5 mm to the radius) and put a chamfer on the inside to aid fitting. I've seen adverts on Facebook from a guy who makes and sells these to spec.

Attachments

• IMG-20210413-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20210413-WA0002.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 13
Another vote for Centec bayonet connectors. I use them with Powercon connectors so just plug the tool into both and go.

Just been looking at Centec but they're not answering the phone. They quote the quick connector as 32mm, is this for hose I.D or O.D. I need a connector for 32mm I.D. 40mm O.D. hose.

I am in the process of sorting out dust collection using a cyclone and initially a Henry vacuum. Now trying to sort hoses and connectors. This post is extremely useful and given me lots of pointers. So I thank you all for taking the time to respond with such useful information.

Recent (local) idea.
A teenager (smart to say the least) is earning pocket money with his 3D printer.
Draw it up and he'll add to his pocket money and I get my adaptors 'just so'.

I do wonder what the 'seal' might be, threaded female, non threaded male (my vac hose)?
Yeah, it's designed to fit direct to the hose, not onto an adaptor. This works well as it is flexible behing the tool - if you have the Vacuums connector on there it adds un-necessary weight. As I have a Thein seperator in the mix, I simply used old hoses and cut off the connectors. Ill take a couple of photos and post my setup.

I have a Dust Bin with a Fein seperator and an old vacuum in opposite corners of the workshop. I use Autostart sockets from Cactus Jack ( ebay ) which have 2 slave sockets, so as soon as the tool is switched on, the vac starts, and I occasionally add a lamp or a desk fan to drive dust away from me and the workpiece. These autostart sockets are rated to 13amps
IMG_20210620_203608.jpg
The power lead is taped to the hose, and the dust and power sockets (Neutrik Powercons) meet at the end of the hose. I use hosewrap to reduce interference from the hose.
IMG_20210620_203753.jpg
As I swap across power tools, I simply unplug one and connect the other :

IMG_20210620_203857.jpg
I plan to add all my portable power tools to this setup. I am making seperate Thein Seperators for my bandsaw and table saw, and I have a third Bin/Vacuum/Autoswitch in the plan for connecting up to my bench sanding machines.
Kirby Cleaners make great (but noisy) vacuums if you can find them cheap enough on fleabay.
Another advantage of this system is getting rid of all the powercords - makes tool storage much easier !!
The powercon connectors allow you to disconnect the tools from a live cable safely too.

Hope this is of interest.

I have a Dust Bin with a Fein seperator and an old vacuum in opposite corners of the workshop. I use Autostart sockets from Cactus Jack ( ebay ) which have 2 slave sockets, so as soon as the tool is switched on, the vac starts, and I occasionally add a lamp or a desk fan to drive dust away from me and the workpiece. These autostart sockets are rated to 13amps
View attachment 112554
The power lead is taped to the hose, and the dust and power sockets (Neutrik Powercons) meet at the end of the hose. I use hosewrap to reduce interference from the hose.
View attachment 112555
As I swap across power tools, I simply unplug one and connect the other :

View attachment 112556
I plan to add all my portable power tools to this setup. I am making seperate Thein Seperators for my bandsaw and table saw, and I have a third Bin/Vacuum/Autoswitch in the plan for connecting up to my bench sanding machines.
Kirby Cleaners make great (but noisy) vacuums if you can find them cheap enough on fleabay.
Another advantage of this system is getting rid of all the powercords - makes tool storage much easier !!
The powercon connectors allow you to disconnect the tools from a live cable safely too.

Hope this is of interest.
Have you got a link for the sockets?

I found this video, uses pet bottles and shrinks them with a hot air gun. Even made one for an oval dust port. Looks quick and easy, not tried it yet bit it looks good

Don't buy a cheap 3d printer. As with all tools, a decent 3d printer costs a little more but you get a lot more usage. £200 or so will get an Ender 3. It will print 235x235x200 (ish) so big enough for many or most tasks. I built a 1000x600mm cnc machine with mine.

The cheaper machines are often made down to a cost, cheaper materials, smaller beds, cheap psu. They often advertise as can use lasers and engravers. Whilst they can, the results are normally rubbish.

Rob

Back