The Leigh R9 Dovetail system.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
First off, I am not in the market for one of these jigs. I already have something similar which I use for 'utility' jobs (Namely the Keller Jig)

This newish Leigh template is similar to the Keller, (You have to make your own 'carrier' too)

I can see how this Leigh system works, up to a point, but I can't get any confirmation on how it copes with differing thicknesses of timber. (The Keller needs three different templates for varying thicknesses.)

So does this Leigh version move in and out in order to cope? Or does it just cover thickness from say 1/4 " to 1.5".
Anyone use this system who could clarify please?

TIA.

:D

As the fingers are basically just a fixed version of the other Leigh jigs then I would have thought thickness is determined by projection of the bit. It does say it can do any thickness upto 13/16"

The in and out adjustment on teh other leigh jigs is to adjust tightness of joint not to adjust for timber thickness. On the R9 the fit of the joint is done via the Leigh adjustable bush.

J

jasonB":65ne9pf2 said:
As the fingers are basically just a fixed version of the other Leigh jigs then I would have thought thickness is determined by projection of the bit. It does say it can do any thickness upto 13/16"

The in and out adjustment on teh other leigh jigs is to adjust tightness of joint not to adjust for timber thickness. On the R9 the fit of the joint is done via the Leigh adjustable bush.

J
I must have missed the 13/16ths bit Jason.

The Keller uses a bearing guided bit. Hence it is limited to depth of cut by the size of the bit. Hence three different templates and cutter sets to go up to 2" (IRRC).

So I see now, that with a bushed cutter, the R9 jig controls thickness by depth of cut, as is the case with the Leigh Jig proper!
Many Thanks
:D

It looks to be a copy of the Dakota and the Stotts jig although with a few more bells and whistles. I have the Dakota jig and have to say it is the most simple to use dovetail jig I have tried......and I have tried a few. They are all limited to through dovetails but this isn't a problem for me. :wink:

mailee":3j9o6sno said:
It looks to be a copy of the Dakota and the Stotts jig although with a few more bells and whistles. I have the Dakota jig and have to say it is the most simple to use dovetail jig I have tried......and I have tried a few. They are all limited to through dovetails but this isn't a problem for me. :wink:

Which Dakota jig do you have?

Back