The Last Toolmakers - looking for info and Toolmakers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkytwig

Reaction score
Hi,

I am doing research for a documentary about Toolmaking which is focusing on the few independent toolmakers that still exist, specifically Edge Toolmakers. I have been talking to Justin Iles who is the grandson of Ashley Isles, Ashly Isles Ltd. being one of the few existing traditional Toolmaking Companies.

If anyone knows of any books, websites etc. about traditional toolmaking that would be great. Also I am trying to track anyone who is or was involved in traditional Toolmaking.

Regards,
Ben

Are you wanting UK ones or world wide?
Here's some from memory:

UK:-
Ray Iles
Thomas Flinn & Co (saw makers)

UK Plane Makers:
Phil Edwards
Bill Carter
Karl Holtey

Lots more in Canada, USA, Australia?

Rod

Take a trip to Sheffield and the Hawley collection.

bugbear":26nosd5s said:
Jacob":26nosd5s said:
Take a trip to Sheffield and the Hawley collection.

He's looking for current day toolmakers. Not Hawley's focus.

BugBear
Current makers feature too.

Thanks a lot, just to clarify I am looking for UK based Toolmaker companies and people who have been or are toolmakers.

I have come across Ray Isles but there are a couple of places I did not know about. I have also found Timeless Tools in Dunsford.

Regards,
Ben

A few more:
Ernest Wright & son
Footprint Tools
Clico Sheffield Tooling
You could ask at Bristol Design, they had tools tools made in the UK

Matt

funkytwig":34jvz324 said:
Thanks a lot, just to clarify I am looking for UK based Toolmaker companies and people who have been or are toolmakers.

You may need to be careful of your jargon; "toolmaker" is applied more specifically to the people who make the tools, jigs, fixtures and machines for production purposes in a factory.

Depending on your age you may remember the regular "toolmaker" strikes at British Leyland.

BugBear

Hi Ben,
I finished as a Toolmaker some 14 years or so ago.
I spent my time mostly making jigs and fixtures.
If tools were required they would usually be adapted from existing or standard tooling.

take care
Don W
PS If I can help just ask

Latest posts

Back