The Last Dovetail

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Cohen (Perth Oz)

Established Member
Reaction score
The last dovetail has been cut for the military chests. The drawer carcases are completed, and installed. I have the drawer bottoms to finish (they are 2/3 done), and then the handles to fit. That is for later.

In the meantime I thought I would prepare a "lessons learned" from the 12 drawers. There was too much to post here, so the article is on my website:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/TheLastDovetail.html

TheLastDovetail_html_5042677f.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks for the link, and I went to each photograph with great interest to view your dovetail work. Excellent.

A great result and lovely piece of workmanship.

(Never got to Perth, cancelled my immigration ticket in 1954 and had a heart attack in 2006 stopped the next occasion and your invitation)

Beautiful job. That Jarrah doesn't look a lot of fun and the end result is all the more remarkable.

Really interesting and a lovely job.

I have been using your technique with the blue tape (mine is white though) for marking my half blind dovetails, it made for very good fitting joints.

In fact my half blind ones came out better then my through dovetails? :roll:

Mick

I have not seen this system of using tape to display the joint area of dovetails.

Perhaps it could be explained, it doesnt seem self explanatory to me.

DW,

There is a link on the link to Dereks website that explains it all.

HTH

Jarrah!!!!!

Wonderful!

Derek...one of the things I learnt early on during my visits to this forum is that your excellent blogs and reviews were a wealth of information on a multitude of subjects and so very well explained and photographed they have become definitive reference works for beginners and pros alike.

This project it epitomises this beyond doubt...a masterpiece from a master craftsman...and out of Jarrah...what more can I say!

Certainly not the last dovetail....surely! :mrgreen:

Bravo mate!

=D> =D> =D> =D>

Jim

Back