The LAST Bootfair?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
I fear so but hope not.....

With Kent weather reaching record highs (since 1889 or something...) the "tourists" were out in their hoards today and poor old Annie was inundated with fighting women...fighting over clothes and tat from the loft again...! :roll:

The upshot is that she made silly money...into three figures which of course tempted me to spend over my budget again...but as always with these things...there was far less on offer this week...

Just a minor haul....

DSC_0098.JPG

First...a nice little Moore and Wright AA Ref 4" square to go with my 6" one...

DSC_0099.JPG

Some little surface rust worms...but these will not affect the use and accuracy of this little gem...£3... :lol:

Next to this...no...not a nose cone from the Smurf chemical warfare armoury....but this little gem:

DSC_0100.JPG

....a darling little microscope "The Field" made by C&D Scientific of Hemel Hempstead....I can't resist these things! :oops: A very extravagant tenner!

Alongside that a very unusual beast....

DSC_0101.JPG

...an AVO temperature gauge! Made for "Cereal Security Ltd." - so I suppose it's a safe bet these don't "crop" up very often! :mrgreen: (I'll get me wellies on later!!! :oops: )

AND...it actually works! - a fiver

Then....

DSC_0102.JPG

...three files...two knackered...one newish...all with brilliant handles and free! (from the man who sold me all the above!)

Fifty pence bought me this lot....

DSC_0103.JPG

...just the BSW dies I have been after - so demand bootfair in action...patience was stretched on that one though! Plus a chuck key for my strange hand drill recently acquired on FleaBay...a 1>2 MT (Morse Taper?) thingy...no idea what for....a nice scribe and some "O" rings.....always useful!

And last but certainly no least...a beautiful....

DSC_0104.JPG

...jeweller's vice with what looks like a micro lathe slide and all sorts of angle adjustments...

DSC_0105.JPG

....home made by a really skillful engineer...wonderful stuff...FleaBay or keep...? Not sure yet..and only a squid!

Not shown...an AVO Valve tester...bought for £15 and sold by Annie within 5 minutes for £30...and I think HE got the bargain...

That will teach me to leave things with her again! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Not bad for a day in the sunshine!

What did you guys and gals get this fine Autumn morning?

Jim

P.S. I haven't mentioned the radio as Douglas always takes the micky out of me! But all the other ones I have acquired over the months have sold at least 5x the cost and I have to have something to listen to...don't I? :oops:

a 1>2 MT (Morse Taper?) thingy...no idea what for....

You put it through the transverse slot on a Morse Taper drill (or similar) and give it a tap with a hammer, to remove a taper fit bit. Presumably nos 1 and 2 have the same size slot and angle.

(I remembered this from my four terms of metalwork tuition at school, 40+ years ago, so thanks for making some of the rubbish in my head sound useful at last!)

Well done jimi. again! That thingy is a drift used for removing things like chucks from a morse taper mounting. There should be a slot/hole in the shaft behind the said chuck into which the drift is inserted and given a gentle tap.

xy

Ok so Andy beat me to it.

AH! Bingo! I wanted one of those things the other day and in the end gave up trying to get the chuck out of my pillar drill...now I can! Brilliant!

I simply love it when you buy things you want without even knowing you are! :mrgreen:

See...telepathic demand purchasing...how cool is that!? 8)

I suppose after using it for what I need...I can hoard it away for another day....I'm sure I can cope with the guilt! :wink:

Jim

quill_oval.JPG

Since Andy and xy beat me to it, I figured I'd go with a picture. Note the oval slot in the drill press quill. It's got a Morse taper adapter in it. Put that wedge in the opening and tap it with a hammer, and it will drive out the adapter.

Kirk

Attachments

• quill_oval.JPG
    quill_oval.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 210
kirkpoore1":2wf684fo said:

Since Andy and xy beat me to it, I figured I'd go with a picture. Note the oval slot in the drill press quill. It's got a Morse taper adapter in it. Put that wedge in the opening and tap it with a hammer, and it will drive out the adapter.

Kirk

That's really strange Kirk...I've just seen that image live whilst holding the aforementioned "thingy" in one hand and a successfully released chuck in the other!

Now I can put my new chuck in....(I didn't buy it from a shop of course! :mrgreen: )

Cheers for clearing that one up guys...I have never seen the release wedge before...you learn something new everyday!

Jim

Eric The Viking":s4n54oxo said:
Does the Avo have a probe of come sort? I assume it's for shoving into piles of grain, hay ricks, etc. It's evidently based on the Avo 5...

Do you mean like THIS one?

I tried the Keithley thermocouple on it and it goes way past FSD so probably need a calibrated shunt if I want to use that probe....haven't tried the other thermocouple probes I have yet...will do later.

It will probably go straight up on FleaBay for the milling machine fund...but would be nice to find something out about it first...

Jim

That tranny radio, I can't remember the brand. Rank Radio International found a pallet full in an automated wharehouse when they went in to have a look after some malfunction, mid seventies I think. Staff members were offered them at £7 a go, bought 5 sold four.

xy

jimi43":1bixjjlb said:
...jeweller's vice with what looks like a micro lathe slide and all sorts of angle adjustments...

....home made by a really skillful engineer...wonderful stuff...FleaBay or keep...? Not sure yet..

Keep it! That's a cracking little vice! 8)

Hi XY .....it's a Ferguson...a quid not working...the battery wire had broken off..quick resolder and we were rocking and rolling...nice little vintage radio...enough to keep me company and pre-tinny.

Yes Dave...I am keeping it. I cleaned it up a bit with Micromesh and it is indeed crackin'.

Jim

That radio..... does anyone else feel slightly disappointed when they hear modern "popcrap" coming out of them rather than the songs of the 50s/60s? I know I do....................... :D

dickm":o9dzcbrk said:
That radio..... does anyone else feel slightly disappointed when they hear modern "popcrap" coming out of them rather than the songs of the 50s/60s? I know I do....................... :D

I only put it on when it's the "right" music Dick....I had Radio Kent on it tonight with Dave Cash...as always in times past...50s and 60s are the norm!

Jim

Another good haul Jim!

They were turning back sellers as the bootfair was that busy today, however to my disappointment the ratio of tools was disproportional to the amount of ex-summer clothes and toys people where selling.

I bought 2 nice files for 50p and a mitre clamp for 50p. The entrance fee was a quid so it's doubled my costs!

One guy was selling an Erbauer router so I had a look, tested it with his genny then asked what he wanted for it, expecting "20 quid mate" No. "£70 and not a penny less" Then he had the audacity to say to me "you seem to know about tools - these are the best you can get and are £270 brand new!" Dear me thought I, but was too courteous to say stick it, but instead said that I will have a think about it then come back later!

Well, at least I can try again next Saturday Then the Saturday after. And the Saturday after that Til Christmas, then all the following Saturdays till next Christmas as it isn't on only 3 times a year!

Mark

jimi43":pd8sgews said:

Yes indeed. I think that's the #5, but I've only owned/used a #8, although we used to have the #5s too in the Beeb years ago.

I tried the Keithley thermocouple on it and it goes way past FSD so probably need a calibrated shunt if I want to use that probe....haven't tried the other thermocouple probes I have yet...will do later.

It will probably go straight up on FleaBay for the milling machine fund...but would be nice to find something out about it first...

I wonder if it was some sort of promo item for people selling grain driers...

kirkpoore1":1t8t1j0f said:
Note the oval slot in the drill press quill. It's got a Morse taper adapter in it. Put that wedge in the opening and tap it with a hammer, and it will drive out the adapter.

NO WAY!!! So that means that my old hand pillar drill has a morse taper thingy on it?

015-1.jpg

I'm really excited and I don't know why, because I know nothing about morse tapers!

What are the implications of this discovery? (Sorry for the Hijack Jim)

El.

Looks like MT1 (Morse Taper size #1).

It can be quite useful, as people like Tilgear and Chronos keep adaptors. You can go from MT to various threads, JT (Jacobs' Taper, for the back end of drill chucks), and so on, and they're not expensive.

I do find though that, when swapping chucks over (I have several) they don't always seat nicely (true, I mean), and sometimes drop out, unless they're well tapped-in (put a wooden block on the end of the chuck (fully opened), and give it a sharp upward tap with a hammer).

Enjoy.

jimi43":2mgd95kt said:
Hi XY .....it's a Ferguson...a quid not working...the battery wire had broken off..quick resolder and we were rocking and rolling...nice little vintage radio...enough to keep me company and pre-tinny.
Jim

Thanks jim, it certainly brought back memories. Footling down the road in a soft-top triumph, adjusting the tranny at every bend!

xy

Scouse":2acunyss said:
What are the implications of this discovery? (Sorry for the Hijack Jim)

As well as what Eric the Viking mentioned, many drill bits, reamers etc used to be available with morse taper shanks instead of parallel shanks. So rather than using a chuck you could mount the bit directly on the quill. I wouldn't be surprised if they popped up at boot sales from time to time.

Back