the kity saga continues :-)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kityuser

Established Member
Reaction score
andy king wrote:
As for the Kity situation, I can only apologise.
We became aware of it only when the magazine was at the printers, so it was too late to ammend the issue.
We only found out accidentally, I saw the posting on the website and checked it out. Probably the reason why ours, and other magazines haven't reported it is because Kity haven't made it common knowledge.

this was in a thread where I moaned that no magazine had mentioned when they reviewed the kity 419 that kity are infact having problems.
(this is by now WELL known on this forum).

low-and-behold, Good woodworking page42 (issue 146) APRIL ISSUE we have a round-up of table saws in different price ranges. Some LOVELY pics of a 419 with all the bells-and-whistles.
No mention that it took me over a week of SOLID ringing around to find all of that lovely kit, IE YOU CAN`T GET IT IN THE UK ANYMORE.

why recommend a table saw that nobody can get anymore, why supply a phone number for kity?

yes ok u may be able to get one second-hand, but it wasn't a "second hand table saw round up" was it?

this is getting funny :D .....................................

As Andy King pointed out before, our issue 146 went to press on 30 January of this year and at that time we had not heard anything about the problems Kity were facing. As far as we were concerned this was still a test of currently available machines. We'll keep you posted about developments at Kity - unless someone hears of it before us that is!

Pete

blimey issue 146 went out in january? ie the APRIL issue
surely a single page change is`nt going to break the bank?

seems a VERY strange situation to me, surely you guys are supposed to know more about this than us lot?

maybe you should be printing in your mags that UKW should be visited for up-to-date industry news?? :cry:

what happens if something changes in the time between mag design and print?

does this go for all of the ads as well?

Hi Stephen

The April issue is in the shops by the middle of February, which probably means it has been printed in the first week of February.

None of this, imho, leaves any time for changes you come across very late in the day.

I'm sure there'll be an update in the next issue.

Cheers
Neil

Who has no connection with GWW, apart from the fact AK takes all of the credit and money for any ideas I pass to him. :wink:

It's almost impossible to change anything once the issue goes to the printers. There is a slot booked and we must fill it – if we miss it the issue can be seriously delayed at the newsagents (and cost a lot of money). Features like the tool tests and news pages are always the last to be prepared so that we can keep information in them right up to date but once we send them off to the printer that's pretty well it.

Considering that we went to press on the 30 Jan and issues were in the shops on 18 Feb I think that we are a pretty up to date source of information. Of course, we wouldn't be able to publish anything further until the next publication date (16 March), but that is the nature of a monthly magazine. Internet forums have an advantage here certainly as they are instant, however the information contained on them can often prove little more than word of mouth or rumour mongering rather than hard fact.

Pete

The April tag on the magazine is a bit of a misnomer. GW is published 13 times a year so you can see that relating months to issues is difficult. We operate on a 28 day cycle rather than a calendar month one, with the odd non-month issue put out in the autumn. As the year progresses the gap between the actual month and the issue's nominal month tag increases. And this is on top of the general publishing world's preference for putting magazines out well in advance of the nominal month on the cover! We'd prefer to do away with the month on the cover, relying only on the issue number, but this does not prove popular with readers. The Woodworker tried it a while back but then reverted to putting up the month tag again.

Newbie_Neil":2x9gfyud said:
Another senior moment as I forget to sign in, yet again. Cheers Neil

Neil,

Why don't you set it up to stay permanently logged on? Then you'll never forget! :oops: :shock:

Adam

Hi Adam

asleitch":20saacx4 said:
Why don't you set it up to stay permanently logged on? Then you'll never forget! :oops: :shock:

If only life were that simple. As I am at the office I might move to one of a number of PC's during the day, with all the attendant issues of being signed in.

Now if you want to see multiple senior moments, that has go to be an accident waiting to happen.

Cheers
Neil

Newbie_Neil":27pkifbg said:
Hi Adam

asleitch":27pkifbg said:

If only life were that simple. As I am at the office I might move to one of a number of PC's during the day, with all the attendant issues of being signed in.

Now if you want to see multiple senior moments, that has go to be an accident waiting to happen.

Cheers
Neil

http://www.pcnetsafe.com/index0.htm

You need one of these then Neil, you walk up to the PC, pop the card on the table by the reader, and it automatically logs you in, and provided you bring your cookies in your profile, - you would be automatically logged in to UKW?

Adam

silly me :D I had no idea that the april issue was released in mid feb.
how logical that is :shock:

my newsagent must keep his stock held back then, because I bourght the new mag as soon as I saw it, (last weekend).

never mind, and to be honest I don`t really care I have my kity :lol:
you lot can all fight to get yours 8)

true forums like these could be "hear-say", at least they can be updated with less than a 28 day lead time :D

ow... and free as well :lol:

Come on you guys what the heck. So GW did not happen to know about the problems Kity were having before they went to press. I am sure you are not going to lose any sleep over it.

And Steve how about the dealers you were phoning for a solid week, it seems that they too did not know that Kity were going belly up, because if they did you would have found this out on the first call. So if a dealer who gets his product from Kity did not know GW can be forgiven or not being mind readers.

Mike.C

I find it astounding that they didnt know as the case in Strasbourg started 15th September last year.

mike:

ALL OF THE DEALERS DID KNOW!

thats why it took me a week to find one that still had one left :cry:

the point was that I found it amusing that by the "APRIL" issue, still no word about kity (and even a recomendation).
I had no idea the april issue went out in january (if I did, then I probably wouldn't have posted)

anyhow, I`m really pleased with my 419, hope kity survive !

Back