The kitchen is finished!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the first jobs I did in this place was to cut out the twin-bowl arrangement* and put in its place a single, monstrously big Franke SS sink and single drainer. We can put the washing up bowl in "sideways" so we have a large gap between it and the drainer, which does the job of those ridiculous, dirty and smelly half-bowls that were so popular about 25 years back. It's very easy to keep clean (bleach!), china rarely breaks if it falls into it, and the sink is big enough to clean the oven wirework in, properly using caustic soda.

In short it's neat and functional. My elderly mum has one of those plastic cast-stone-effect things and it's horrid, especially if it gets tea stains on it.

Back on topic, Derek, I think it is really nice, more so because the Domestic Controller is evidently pleased, too. That counts hugely in our household!

(*If you were unlucky/stupid enough to turn on the tap whilst it was "between bowls" it had the knack of putting water all over the worktop, the floor and your clothes - great idea that.)

I would argue that the advantage of a twin bowl sink, where one side is half the size of the other - as ours is - is the economy of using less water when only a few items require washing/rinsing. A deep, wide single bowl would require a lot more water.

I do like the warm looks of the large porcelain sinks that have become fashionable of late. But it is horses for courses - it would look out-of-place in a modern-style kitchen with stainless steel fittings, like ours.

Regards from Perth

Derek

No criticism was intended!

We put a rectangular washing up bowl in the sink, which overall gives great flexibility, and the plumbing beneath is also simple, saving cupboard space. When the bowl is oriented "portrait" style as you look at it, there's plenty of room to rinse next to it, and usually we dribble water from the tap to rinse off soap-suds before dishes get put into the drainer. So it has the function of a 1+1/2 sink, but still with enough space for the wirework, as I mentioned (and the salad drawers of the fridge, etc.).

1+1/2 is more useful than the double inset bowl arrangement we acquired with the house, and your half-bowl is big enough to be useful of itself, as you say. My mum's one is tiny, awkward, and being pretend stone is jolly hard to keep clean.

Lovely kitchen and no doubt (having peeked at a few of Dereks builds over the years) the workmanship is flawless too.
I'd love to hear how the carcasses were done. I always wonder about that when I see a proper build.

No criticism was intended!

No criticism was taken.

I assumed that we were just commenting on the merits of each design.

I'd love to hear how the carcasses were done. I always wonder about that when I see a proper build.

Thanks for the kind words.

I cannot take any credit for the carcasses as they were from the original kitchen, and I re-used them with the exception of the one above the fridge. That was simply melamine MDF, and joined with dominos. Add the Grass Euro hinges. Build the door. Easy peazy.

KitchenComplete_html_54e32e69.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Back