The kitchen is finished!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was waiting for someone to notice! :)

The deeper drawers received a frame-and-panel. I completed the unit with the microwave first. I screwed up with one drawer - noticed that I had not turned the frame around ... the mindset was still the same as with the doors. I was going to remake them when it occurred to me that the flow was still there. It did not bother me - or Lynndy (importantly) - and I made a note to wonder whether anyone on the forum would notice! :)

Here's a picture of the drawers below the microwave (taken with my phone but should have enough detail) ...

Kitchen6_zpslfselyqf.jpg

I thought there was enough "link" with the solid drawer to not get fussed about the orientation of the frame. If it had jared, I would have rebuilt these (as I am generally pretty fussy). Having done these this way, I simply continued the pattern on the framed drawer on the other unit.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Lovely kitchen, granite looks great - always been a fan of plainer looking stone worktops. I've noticed the left hand drawer stack, under the "island", the bottom drawer is shaker the rest are not; was that a design choice because of the drawer depth being a little narrow to have the same width border?

MrDavidRoberts":3j9ptfew said:
Good job just one niggle-you have done loads of work and spent some good $$$... but... you have cheaped out on few things which brings the overall look really down and makes it look ''cheap'' and not really - ''modern and light''

I believe he has made a great improvement and certainly worked hard to achieve the result.
This may be appropriate David,

Before you speak, Let your words pass through 3 gates:
Is it true?
Is it necessary?
is it kind?

Wouldn't lose too much sleep.

Lovely job Derek. Shaker style is timeless, wood is beautifully figured and the colour ties it all in while being light enough not to lose sense of space. Thanks for explaining the drawers. Was wondering about them!

Frankly Alex, all I would like is an inkling to his observation that something does not work. Enquiring minds want to know. :?

Regards from Perth

Derek

I can't see anything that doesn't work......... and I'm not just trying to be kind.

My guess is "Dave" is down at Aldi/Lidl opening the boxes and ranting about everything is so shoddy and not a patch on the quality of the mythical good old days.

A hand made, high quality maple kitchen, contrasted with stainless steel and dark granite -stunning, whats not to like!

Shame maple isn't more easily/cheaply available in the UK, it's such a lovely wood. Nice job, you must be chuffed.

LancsRick":183e8qds said:
Shame maple isn't more easily/cheaply available in the UK, it's such a lovely wood. Nice job, you must be chuffed.
Evidently when Mons mill in Todmorden was demolished around 2000, all the floors were solid maple and there were two layers of floorboards perpendicular to each other on each floor and it was a big mill. There was so much maple in the area that people were making garden fences and sheds out of it.

Very nice kitchen!

it made me very sad as I had to buy a load of oak flooring for the house renovation not long after, I wish I had known.

I quite like the way the worktop flows nicely down the side of the unit. I don't know what others think but to me the re-model of your kitchen has taken on a more contemporary look than before, I also think you might have even been a little adventurous too. In the Uk a lot of new kitchens are painted, shaker style and it's nice to see different Ideas on show.

Mark

I note that Mr. David Roberts has not troubled to give us all the benefit of his superior knowledge by explaining what exactly looks cheap. If it's "several little details" then it can't be all that hard to explain to those of us with less knowledge and expertise than you Sir! And you have been asked several times, including by the OP himself.

FWIW, I think your kitchen looks great Derek Cohen, and I didn't see anything that looked "cheap". But what do I know? As someone has already quite correctly pointed out, when it comes to "taste" and likes/dislikes, I have an opinion and it's just as valid (AND in-valid) as any one else's.

But especially for you Mr. David Roberts, I have also noted on other posts that you do tend to immediately disparage all sorts of "stuff" in the strongest possible words.

In your "defence" in this post you wrote, QUOTE: Let's just say I hate people who say one thing to your face and than go around your back telling/doing something completely different... ain't me... UNQUOTE.

Yeah, so do most other people too! As has already been pointed out by others, all anyone is asking you to do is be polite in any criticsms you want to make. NO ONE is asking you, or expecting you, to lie. Nor are you expected to "suck up" to anyone. But PLEASE try to remember what my old granddad used to say - "There's a difference between scratching yer ar-e and tearing bloody great lumps out of it"!

If you don't like something by all means say so, but have the general decency and good manners to say why not, AND, if you think you know, how one can do better.

In short, try to act like a civilised and reasonably well brought up human being, rather than some half drunk self-opinionated yobbo down the pub. OR, as our Aussie friends say - "Pull yer bloody 'ead in mate".

AES

I think it looks great Derek. Clean crisp lines with the timeless beauty of real wood.
Gorgeous in my book and the good woman agrees also =D>

Kitchens are a real taste thing (no pun intended). Very difficult to please everyone and I enjoy threads that show what others have done. So thanks for posting.

I am planning to do a large kitchen (I am about a year behind on my building work at home....day job is such a nuisance) and still thinking about what I will do. It is interesting the choices people make. For example I hate, really hate, stainless steel sinks at home. They never look really clean or smart. I have moved right off conventional taps onto spray hose tap. Super practical. Most domestic extraction is useless. Most restaurant extraction is noisy. I want effective and quiet! Still investigating induction hobs - indeed I might buy a portable one to compare directly with gas.

I might do a thread here before I get started or spend much money, and see what people think. For me (very keen cook), a lot of the money will go into high quality appliances, good extraction, and work surfaces that deal with prep, pastry, serving etc. Aesthetics will be key - and for me that means very clean and minimalist.

Many people spend a lot on storage units. I may seek to minimise them and put everything that is not in constant use into a (yet to be built) utility room and walk in chiller / larder.

AJB Temple":2xljx0kz said:
Kitchens are a real taste thing (no pun intended). For example I hate, really hate, stainless steel sinks at home. They never look really clean or smart.

You are correct there. I don't recall seeing a sink made of anything other than stainless steel that looked 100% clean. :lol:

Alexam":3tt3vrnx said:
Before you speak, Let your words pass through 3 gates:
Is it true?
Is it necessary?
is it kind?

I try to aim for 2 out of 3 atleast.

Back