The Joiner Made Oil Stone Box and Other Bench Stuff Thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Orright, Adam, this is all your fault.... ;)

I thought I had a chunk of mahogany, but couldn't find it (you would not be surprised by that if you saw the current state of my wood stash!). But I found this chunk of "scented rosewood" (Dysoxylum fraserinum), cut from the decaying remains of an old fencepost:

View attachment 129506

This species is actually in the same family as mahogany, and it's (usually) quite nice to work with, too. I couldn't get a very wide piece from it, so decided to forgo the bombe shape of some of the examples that have come up. I dug out the recesses for the stone in base & lid (I'll confess to using a drill press & forstner bit to remove the bulk of the waste, but removed all evidence with hand-tools... :) ).

I inlaid some gum leaves in the top (more challenging than silly old diamonds), and my tiny router was very helpful for that job:
View attachment 129507

I fielded the top with slightly curved shoulders (done with a small shoulder-plane & judged by eye), and put a bead around the base with a scratch-stock:
View attachment 129508

So that's my new stone box - I think it looks a bit more journeyman-like than the previous attempt. Maybe the elves I'm hoping to attract into my shed to finish all the unfinished projects will approve and keep the little tools sharp & busy...
View attachment 129509

Thanks, Adam, I'm actually pleased you started this thread when you did, very fortuitous!
Cheers,
Ian

TBH, I'm rea
Lovely. It's all very impressive Ian, I must admit.

The stone was grey. The box mahogany. 30mm wide approximate by about 7 or 8" long.
Sounds a lot like this one. I've had it for donkeys years and can't remember where I got it. I keep it in my go-to tool box so very rarely ever used it.

P1070263.jpg

Sounds a lot like this one. I've had it for donkeys years and can't remember where I got it. I keep it in my go-to tool box so very rarely ever used it.

View attachment 129940

See now you've mentioned it again and picturing the box in relation to the one you have there it was totally different.
The box mine was in, the sides were really thin, maybe less than 5mm, and at each end they were about 1/2" The base of the box was serpentine(or double serpentine rather) and each corner had a small pin, though those were worn down and i think rather than feet, they were pins designed to provide grip to a bench top.

Back