The Inspectors have been

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure whether anybody else has experienced this in the past, but this morning I had a visit to my workshop from two inspectors. It got me a bit worried because I didn't really know what they were looking for, luckily the place was relatively tidy and all the electrical installations in accordance with the regulations.

As you may recall I bought the Xcalibar 807 a couple on months ago and intill today have not been in a position to do a test run, my first thoughts were that the inspectors had heard that it was a 5HP motor and were worried that I might plunge Weymouth into an electricity free zone.

How does one tackle this kind of problem, well first I thought I'd show them my limited number of hand tools to see if I could take their mind off the heavy stuff.

Unbeknown to me they both brought a small selection of tools to try and tempt me down the slope, ah I thought now I know what your game is.

This is a picture of the two inspectors. As you can see the guy on the right is holding some sort of gadget that I couldn't fathom out, 55 was mentioned but I thought he was talking about his age and the guy on the left had some of those LA BU things that I'd heard about and could only dream of owning.

Motley-Crew-001.jpg

They had their little play at my expence and made me very jealous, although I'm sure Martin was devising ways of slipping further down the slope.

Motley-Crew-002.jpg

What followed can only be described as a real eye-opening experience, two grown men blowing plane shavings in the wind, got to be a song there somewhere.

Motley-Crew-003.jpg

Well the time had come to test the Xcalibar in earnest, I was a bit concerned that there would be too much movement on the wheeled stand more than I was worried about cutting the power off to 63,000 Weymouth residents.

You can see the elation in my face as it started with no problem, I think there was a slight dimming of the workshop lights for a milli-second. Woh what a machine.

Motley-Crew-004.jpg

I'm not sure who the other guy was that came with Martin, he did mention that he was famous because his face was known nation wide, but then I don't get that magazine. I thought I was going to be spared but out comes a copy for me to view, no I'm not jealous honestly.
This famous person help with the final setting up of the Xcalibar, I'm not sure but I think he has one of these himself.

Where did that plane come from Martin?

Motley-Crew-005.jpg

So a word of warning, if you get decended on by these two inspectors make sure you tie yourself up to the top of the slope, don't be fooled by words like "you must get one of these" or "it was ever so cheap". Be brave and resist.

Thanks guys for the visit, it was good to see you.

Waka
Well-you have be careful answering the door these days. You never know who's about........ :twisted:
Cheers for the coffee and fun,
Philly :lol:

Well I can understand (given the national magazine coverage that Philly receives) that Rob Lee might have Philly on his payroll to push the BUS but who the heck is paying to push the boat (anchor)? :?

Gawd - it's a frightening thought that you might open the door to this pair! :shock:

Now, now, Chris! All my toys are paid for by me! :lol:
Be afraid when that that doorbell rings........... :wink:
Philly :twisted:

There should be some sort of law against people flaunting shiny boat anchors like that; 'specially as there's no evidence you used it! :lol: And what were you taking shavings from, chaps? Toothpicks? C'mon, stop toying with 'em. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Here's the really bad news...

There I was this morning wandering round a small car boot sale somewhere in the northern hemisphere, minding my own business and picking over a couple of Preston spokeshaves, when suddenly there is a huge to do with photographers, press and whatnot following a celebrity who, to my amazement turned out to be the gloatmeister himself!

Yes, Philly had come to MY bootsale :shock: :shock: , is there no end to this mans infamy? Next thing you know Waka will be getting a special parking place for his wallet and then who knows where it will all end?
Naturally I sent him over to a knitting stall to look at a Stanley 66 that I had already dismissed....

These two really should come with a public wealth warning, I feel like I'm on a runaway helter skelter with soap for brakes!

Seriously, I had a lot of fun this weekend and it is great to meet up with guys from here, lets hope more of us can get together as time goes on.
Best Regards
martin

Ha, ha!! :lol:
Well you've been showing off some great finds lately, I had to see what was going on. Found a nice Disston, D7 I believe. Nice condition, needs a little cleaning. 50p............... :shock:
That left enough money for a nice cuppa! :wink:
Cheers
Philly :D

Here's another picture of that piece of "old Iron".....
boatanchor.jpg

Not bad condition-nice rosewood fences. A good haul Martin!
And you might want to avert your eyes, here. Waka's wall of gloat!
wallofgloat.jpg

You'll be pleased to know I've reduced the size of the pictures to protect the innocent. :roll:
Cheers
PhotoPhilly :D

Wots still hiding in them socks and what on earth do you use detox for in the workshop? :lol:

Andy

Philly":rcsomwx2 said:
Here's another picture of that piece of "old Iron".....
Ooo, I will so remember this come November, Philly. [-X You'd better watch your back at the Axminster show; this Ninja Neander is deadly silent (no motor) and her weapons are honed to 0.25 micron. :shock: :lol:

=P~ :cry: :mrgreen: For heaven's sakes, Martin, tell me you're going to use it. [-o< Otherwise it'll make it all so much worse. ](*,)

Cheers, Alf

dedee":3rk2zymd said:
Wots still hiding in them socks and what on earth do you use detox for in the workshop? :lol:

Andy

The socks contain a few of the small LN variety plus a couple of big Cliftons.

Now you've seen it all, there is no more hiding anywhere.

Alf":3rk2zymd said:
For heaven's sakes, Martin, tell me you're going to use it. Otherwise it'll make it all so much worse.

matin, is the display cabinet ready yet? I know its a shame to have it over the fire place, but its really to good to use.

Waka":1mpsolrb said:
its really to good to use.
Some would argue it's too bad to use... :lol: I was going to ask why you chaps delight in tormenting me so, but it's not as if I didn't know. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

I must leap to my own defence here!

Alf - I have not used the 55 so far as I'm still getting to grips with the original manual. It would seem that all and sundry decry this plane, (witness all the boat anchor comments), and I suppose it is hardly likely that it will do all the jobs claimed for it as well as the dedicated single items.

That said it appears to be a wonderfully made piece of engineering and I will certainly be giving it a go and may even post my thoughts afterwards.

The one recent car boot find that I have fallen in love with is a Record 043 which I have been using on some simple boxes with slding lids like pencil boxes. It is so much easier and quieter to route the small grooves with this little tool than p**s about with a tailed beasty. The plane is a joy to use and fits so well in the hand.

As long as I take the time to really hone the irons it is like a hot knife through butter inash and walnut. I look forward to trying the Stanley 50 and Record 044 on bigger boxes and projects in due course.

I am trying really hard not to be a c*ll*ct*r! Honest!

Regards
Martin

Looks like a thoroughly good (and enjoyable) inspection there. Nice gloating too :wink:

mahking51":3kctagbd said:
Alf - I have not used the 55 so far as I'm still getting to grips with the original manual. It would seem that all and sundry decry this plane, (witness all the boat anchor comments), and I suppose it is hardly likely that it will do all the jobs claimed for it as well as the dedicated single items.
http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/stanley55uses.html may help. :)

The one recent car boot find that I have fallen in love with is a Record 043 which I have been using on some simple boxes with slding lids like pencil boxes. It is so much easier and quieter to route the small grooves with this little tool than p**s about with a tailed beasty. The plane is a joy to use and fits so well in the hand.
Amen, brother. Make it even better (how can that be so?!) by taking BB's advice and making it some shorter fence rods. A truly excellent tool.

I am trying really hard not to be a c*ll*ct*r!
Sometimes it's good to fail miserably... :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

It's not that I don't like the boat anchors - I even have a sort of boat anchor myself, a Record 50 that I bought BRAND NEW in 1965 for the princely sum of £6 7s 6d which was jolly nearly a week's wage back then (it was certainly well in excess of my discretionary income for a week!).

This bloomin' thing has accompanied me around the world half a dozen times getting steadily the worse for travel - not wear for sure! I once tried to sell it, when I left Africa- where at the time, you could sell old underclothes but no-one bought it. It now sits on my shelf reproaching me every time I look at it. I can't remember when I last used it - if I ever did.

The fact is that I love gadgets and back in 1966 this seemed like a very cool gadget to someone who knew nothing at all about woodwork and so I succumbed. The thought of a "mill in itself" is still attractive in a funny kind of way but I have to sidle past those looks that my Record 50 gives me and I don't want even more of my small shop placed out of bounds!

Back