The Impossible question.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again an artist I hadn't heard of and really good. I love discovering new music. Often it's by accident, I hear a song on the radio, but the DJ doesn't say who it was at the end, Then I have to spend ages looking on the BBC play lists to try find who it was. Christine and the Queens-Tilted....then I saw the video, Wow!!!
The Dead South-In Hell I'll Be In Good Company....brilliant video, Stick in the wheel-Villon Song...video is Wow!!

Glad I’m not the only one who goes goes searching through playlists or lyric lists when the presenter goes straight to the news or whatever.
Been watching PM Jukebox for years, plenty of highlights but Haley Reinhart’s cover of Creep stands out.

I tend not to listen to the words - singing is just another melody to add to the music. It might be that the words often look a little like this:

There's Winston Churchill dressed in drag
He used to be a British flag, plastic bag, what a drag
The frog was a prince, the prince was a brick, the brick was an egg
The egg was a bird
(Fly away you sweet little thing, they're hard on your tail)
Hadn't you heard?
(They're going to change you into a human being!)
Yes, we're happy as fish and gorgeous as geese
And wonderfully clean in the morning

No greatly into music but....

Castle on the hill - Ed Sheran

Sit down next to me by James.

Also Simon and Garfunkel.

Cheers James

Oooh, what a question.

I think theres too many to consider! But, i love blues, rock, metal... so much to choose from, but gor blues check out Gary Clarke Jr, especially his live stuff. I saw him in hyde park supporting clapton, fantastic.
Or Ray LaMontagne, strong enough

Or if you want to skip the point of the original question and just see some amazing guitar, watch John Butler Trio doing Ocean 2012 on youtube

My musical tastes vary widely, brought up on prog rock in the seventies but loved the Beach Boys while at school. Now I can listen to most music including Classical. If I was to pick a favourite or two they would be Wishbone Ash, Genesis, Yes, right up to Andrea Bocelli, Oh and Jackson Browne, Jethro Tull, Nazareth,, Elkie Brookes.......................................................................................................................................

Chris

Again an artist I hadn't heard of and really good. I love discovering new music. Often it's by accident, I hear a song on the radio, but the DJ doesn't say who it was at the end, Then I have to spend ages looking on the BBC play lists to try find who it was. Christine and the Queens-Tilted....then I saw the video, Wow!!!
The Dead South-In Hell I'll Be In Good Company....brilliant video, Stick in the wheel-Villon Song...video is Wow!!
I use the Shazam app on my iPhone a lot when I hear a piece of music that intrigues me

I like miss herd lyrics - the old C120 tape stretched beyond limits was an art form in it's self.

Nick Kershaw's OLD man of Aaron became "a gnome in a barrel"

who can forget Dire Straights "Keep your sofa away from me"

Sorry - I'll go back to my shed

I use the Shazam app on my iPhone a lot when I hear a piece of music that intrigues me
Thanks!!. I just downloaded it, looks good and that could be the answer for some situations and it stores results!, but 'sod's law', I'll be driving, or cycling, or if I'm working, by the time I hear the music, get my phone out....glasses on, a couple of attempts to enter the code, then start the app....the music is finished. :LOL: :LOL: Then I'll think, well I've stopped, might as well have a cup of tea. Even if I had a DAB radio in the car and could see who it was, the chances of still remembering the information by the time the journey is over, is pretty slim.

I like miss herd lyrics - the old C120 tape stretched beyond limits was an art form in it's self.
I miss-hear lyrics all of the time, "We built this city on Sausage Rolls", "Every time you go away, you take a piece of meat with you" and back in the days, the Carpenters "Your Love's pussy cat at the top of the world" had me really confused. 😣

Far too many to mention but I defy anyone to sit down and listen to Nat King Cole sing Stardust and not be moved! Old but gold.

I miss-hear lyrics all of the time, "We built this city on Sausage Rolls", "Every time you go away, you take a piece of meat with you" and back in the days, the Carpenters "Your Love's pussy cat cat at the top of the world" had me really confused. 😣
....and what about the one ton of melons song, or bicycle hut?

Dylan's "Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands". Now there's a song that brings back memories.

Back in the late 70s I'd been with my wife-to-be for five years. We were a couple of hippies, living the bohemian life of the day back then. She was a croupier in a night club, I was playing guitar in bands and working in a music shop fixing amps and guitars. Then we decided to settle down, get proper day jobs, get married and raise a family.

We lived in a little flat in Christchurch. I got a job as a test engineer at a local electronics company, she worked as a cashier at a chain of jewellers. She got home an hour later than me, catching the bus from Bournemouth, and I would often put on the 4th side of 'Blonde on Blonde' while I waited for her. "Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands" is the only track and is something like eleven minutes. It has a haunting dream-like quality. My wife was tall, blonde, blue-eyed, and she was my sad eyed lady of the lowlands.

She died 15 years ago after a long and very painful battle with cancer. The kids have all flown the nest and there's just me and a crazy old rescue cat in the house. 35 years of family life all seems like a dream now. But sometimes, of an evening, I'll put that track on, close my eyes, and it all comes flooding back.

she was my sad eyed lady of the lowlands
Gee Whiz!!That is sadder than sad, really heart breaking to hear. Life can be really brutal sometimes. Music is like pictures, something which can connect you directly back to a time. Moments frozen in time, listen to some music and suddenly you are right back there. I'm sure every generation says that, when they were in their 20's, was the best time of their life, but I really think the 70's were very special. I was a long hair hippy as well, It was just an amazing time. My wife and I met in the early 70's and have a few bits of music from that time that are very special to us.

The lyrics I posted earlier were Genesis, just in case anyone missed it: here is all 23 minutes of its pretentious fabulousness:

Just be glad I took pitty on you all and didn't offer up The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

I have a fondness for music to take drugs to. The drugs aren't required, but I do like the music. Anything psychedelic. Probably why lyrics aren't really my thing.

[QUOTE="Trainee neophyte, post: 1449075, member: 30710
I have a fondness for music to take drugs to. The drugs aren't required, but I do like the music. Anything psychedelic. Probably why lyrics aren't really my thing.
[/QUOTE]

Jefferson Airplane White Rabbit

"One pill makes you larger and one pill makes you small, but the one that mother gives you don't do anything at all"

Nigel.

Just be glad I took pitty on you all and didn't offer up The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Ahhhh! the Carper Crawlers. An amazing track. I still have an LP (Big black CD) with an unusual selection of tracks: And You and I (Yes), Carpet Crawl/ers (Genesis), Merlin the Magician (Rick Wakeman), Trampled Underfoot (Lez Zeppelin), Stealin' (Uriah Heap), Bungle in the Jungle (Jethro Tull), Money (Pink Floyd)........and three other tracks. I swear that album was probably responsible for a large percentage of the hearing loss I suffer today. The Rick Wakeman track, if the curtains weren't flapping about in the room, it just wasn't loud enough!!! A great test track for HiFi. there are some synthesised low frequency sounds which would make the house shake.

Back